How to avoid reflections in the car?

drygdryg

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi guys,
at the moment it is quite sunny here, so I like to make some shots while driving around by car. I don't dare to fasten the camera on the outside, so I apply it inside the car to the windshield.

Especially when the sun comes from the front, it shines onto the surface of the dashboard, so I have got the reflections of that surface in the windshield (= in the video).

I tried to put a layer of black cloth on the dashboard, but black cloth is never really black in direct sunlight, it still visible.

Do you have any ideas how to get rid of the reflections?

Unless you can get a polarizing filter there's not much you can do, they don't completely cut it all out. The black cloth idea only really cuts out "obvious features" on your dash, like the vents or in my case the little LED dome for my alarm

Hi guys,
at the moment it is quite sunny here, so I like to make some shots while driving around by car. I don't dare to fasten the camera on the outside, so I apply it inside the car to the windshield.

Especially when the sun comes from the front, it shines onto the surface of the dashboard, so I have got the reflections of that surface in the windshield (= in the video).

I tried to put a layer of black cloth on the dashboard, but black cloth is never really black in direct sunlight, it still visible.

Do you have any ideas how to get rid of the reflections?
CPL filter is your friend. Check out a mod I did last week:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/cpl-for-dash-cam-45-55.29099/

A dashmat made correctly can work wonders ;) There's a thread on making your own here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/making-your-own-dashmat.21768/
Best materials are one type of paint and some cloth designed for photography use. Many common materials won't do as well as they seem such as black nylon carper which is actually pretty reflective :eek:

Phil

I think a dashmat will do it. I don't want to modify the camera (didn't mention that), because I also still want to use the waterproof case.

Thank you very much for your ideas!

Last edited:
I have an area in the centre of my dash top where I used to put things, mostly paper but reflections were bad, so now put nothing there but a section of black felt, whilst it hasn't got all reflections gone it helped a lot, another thing I have done on cars especially those with shiny grey dashes that have had silicone sprays put on them is to actually buy some VERY fine modelling sand and gently rub on dash to take shine off, I had this really bad on my ford sierra cosworth almost being blinded by the reflection off the inside of the screen, it did the trick, dash looks nice and clean just not shiny, not for every one but worked a treat for me

I don't use a dash mat or anything like that. I just don't use purpose-made interior cleaning products for my car. Sure there's reflections in the video... but I'd rather that than have my car look like crap. It doesn't affect the utility of the video.

I've always hated the cleaning products that leave your dashboard super shiny. It just feels greasy and looks tacky to me. Warm soapy water to spot clean the interior and nothing more.

Armor all is a ace cleaner as it leaves a dull finish, I might have spelt it wrong but good stuff for this reason.

Maybe Armor All is different in the UK but here in the US it has a reputation of making certain padded dashes crack. I seem to recall they had a non-shiny variant for dash tops but that would have been years ago.

(Was going to post some pics of before and after with and without a polarizing filter but looks like the OP has made his decision.)

@Edgardo I would not refuse a polarizing filter, still thinking about trying one, but I won't play around with any cleaning agent. I don't really care for my car, it's only an article of daily use for me, nothing more. Can't say why, but a dash mat feels best for my purposes.

Thank you anyway for your additional tips.

@Edgardo I would not refuse a polarizing filter, still thinking about trying one...
About half-way down this page are a couple of posts I made with and without my filter. In case you're curious!

I have too many holes in the top of my dash to use a mat, with speakers and air blowing out along with the sensor for the automatic headlights. A certain filter I found was a perfect fit to the lens barrel of my particular camera, with a small amount of felt tape around the inside for a friction fit.

My current camera with the filter, compared to a AA battery...

sg9665-front-cor1-jpg.27595

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I don't dare to fasten the camera on the outside, so I apply it inside the car to the windshield.

Why don't you dare? If you're afraid the mount is not secure enough, then attach a secondary tether. I always use a bit of (strong) string attached to my git2 case when its attached to my helmet or while using the suction mount, cuz you never know... Manage the risk, and hopefully you reap the rewards :D

Back