VIOFO's A119S

The supplied 3.5 metre cable was long enough to reach the rear mounting point. A119S is back to rear cam duty. Let's see if the boxes reappear.

The supplied 3.5 metre cable was long enough to reach the rear mounting point. A119S is back to rear cam duty. Let's see if the boxes reappear.

Interesting findings, following along. Your results could lead to the significant conclusion (or at least hypothesis) that low power problems (low voltage across the A119/A119S load) not only causes LCD flicker, power cycling, and recorded file corruption (known symptoms for the A119), but also may contribute to firmware corruption.

Interesting findings, following along. Your results could lead to the significant conclusion (or at least hypothesis) that low power problems (low voltage across the A119/A119S load) not only causes LCD flicker, power cycling, and recorded file corruption (known symptoms for the A119), but also may contribute to firmware corruption.
I agree with this. I purchased a 15 foot Monoprice cable for the a119s. I believe it was @harsh who mentioned he had problems with the same cable. So, before I routed the cable I did some tests with it on 2 different a119s cams. The results were camera 1 had screen flicker and would power cycle after about 30 seconds. Camera 2 had screen flicker but did not power cycle. Both cams were tested with the factory supplied charger.

Then I tested only camera 2 on a known high quality, high power charger using the same Monoprice cable. Camera 2 still had screen flicker, but it was reduced. Even so, I would not be comfortable using that cable after my experiences.

Both cameras are fine using factory supplied cables, and both are connected to the same factory supplied charger. No flicker, no issues. I'm guessing, but I think the Monoprice cable, while probably not defective, just has too much voltage drop over that length of cable. A higher AWG mini usb cable might not lose too much voltage and might be usable.

I'm guessing, but I think the Monoprice cable, while probably not defective, just has too much voltage drop over that length of cable. A higher AWG mini usb cable might not lose too much voltage and might be usable.

I don't think this is just a guess- it's almost certainly the correct answer (y)

As a life-long electronics hobbyist I've often wondered who would design things for lower DC voltages when a higher, more efficient voltage was equally easy to do? :mad: USB's 5VDC is not very good, only common to the point of being ubiquitous so that everyone uses it. Had it been designed at 12VDC instead there would be less voltage drop over length, less heat generated in cables and devices, more stable device operation, and more capability of powering of more devices than it has now. The next generation of standardized cable-coneccted consumer power really needs to be done better than USB's very limiting 5VDC ;) USB 'smart charging' is not the correct way forward as it adds unnecessary complexity and cost plus it has been problematic already. Till we get that better standard, we're stuck with the crap we've got now along with the constant problems it causes :coffee:

If there's a thread here on DCT reviewing USB cables already, perhaps we should 'revive it' and if not maybe we should start one
:cool: And if anyone knows of sites online where well-done comprehensive tests of USB cables has been done it would be nice of you to share that with the rest of us :D As long as we're stuck with these we need to know as much about them as we can!

Phil

A higher AWG mini usb cable might not lose too much voltage and might be usable.

I know what your saying and agree, but technically lower (not higher) AWG wire ratings have less resistive loss per unit length (and consequently less voltage drop), and the size of the wires is larger. The challenge is to cram the larger wire into the tiny USB connector. Edit: DIYers could use short lengths (under a foot or so) of smaller leader wires, or just splice, for example, a 20 gauge or less shielded two conductor cable into an existing USB power cable that has had the middle section wiring cut out. But there is risk of introducing new losses at the splices. The resistive loss we are trying to eliminate is very small, probably on the order of a fraction of an ohm, and difficult to measure directly. End Edit.

USB's 5VDC is not very good, only common to the point of being ubiquitous so that everyone uses it. Had it been designed at 12VDC instead there would be less voltage drop over length, less heat generated in cables and devices, more stable device operation, and more capability of powering of more devices than it has now.

Agree, a 12Vdc system can deliver more than twice the power (I*V) over the same wire with the same current. A compromise to reduce the USB cable voltage drops might be to extend the 12 Vdc wiring and shorten +5Vdc USB power cable (while maintaining existing quality). There are cons, like hiding the 12-5Vdc converter.

Last edited:
Last edited:
There is no way I could put up with dashboard reflections like that, even without a camera

The first thing I do after buying a car is buy a dash-mat or make something to suit

There is no doubt that all over dashboard reflections have an impact on camera ability and outcome

There is no way I could put up with dashboard reflections like that, even without a camera

The first thing I do after buying a car is buy a dash-mat or make something to suit

There is no doubt that all over dashboard reflections have an impact on camera ability and outcome

My polarised sunglasses work ridiculously well to eliminate the reflection.

CPL is always attached, removed it for the videos for the new Beta. Haven't warmed up to the idea of installing a dash-mat yet, maybe someday. Last I looked couldn't find one either.

Last edited:
My polarised sunglasses work ridiculously well to eliminate the reflection.

CPL is always attached, removed it for the videos for the new Beta. Haven't warmed up to the idea of installing a dash-mat yet, maybe someday. Last I looked couldn't find one either.
Thanks for posting the videos with the new beta fw.
What is causing the audio noise on the most recent ones though, they sound horrible. The night time ones you posted sound okay, it it just on the daytime ones that the sound is so bad.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting the videos with the new beta fw.
What is causing the audio noise on the most recent ones though, they sound horrible. The night time ones you posted sound okay, it it just on the daytime ones that the sound is so bad.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

I think it's because the third party USB cable. I'd recently moved the original cable to the rear.

I am hearing the same audio noise with 1.6b - it seems to get louder the longer the camera is active. This morning it was not audible when I started driving - 15 minutes later it can be clearly heard. Most impressive was the jump in volume after the camera was baking in the sun for a couple of hours (car parked while I was baking in the office). So I would conclude it's caused by high temperature.

Last edited:
Looking again at the videos @harsh posted the audio noise is there in the daytime videos but not at nighttime. It seems the settings were identical in postings #149 and #150. I guess, the cam was warmer during daytime... has this noise been introduced with FW 1.6b or was it there before? I got my A119s just a few days ago and flashed the latest fw immediately, so I have no experience with older fw. Is it safe to downgrade the firmware?

Looking again at the videos @harsh posted the audio noise is there in the daytime videos but not at nighttime. It seems the settings were identical in postings #149 and #150. I guess, the cam was warmer during daytime... has this noise been introduced with FW 1.6b or was it there before? I got my A119s just a few days ago and flashed the latest fw immediately, so I have no experience with older fw. Is it safe to downgrade the firmware?
I have not noticed any audio issue with the beta firmware.

It is safe to downgrade.

Could be anyone of the following:

1) Changes in the firmware.

2) Other camera(s) mounted near the A119S. The Mobius A2 is currently not mounted, only have the SG9665GC next to the A119S. Even in the rear the A119S has always had the Mobius next to it. Basically I've never had the A119S running alone.

3) My car's roof mounted GPS+Radio antenna. But it's closer to the rear mounting location and I do not experience any additional noise when the A119S is mounted in the rear..

Why I say the firmware is because earlier the audio noise/hiss/buzz was more audible in night videos. Daytime videos had a very slight buzz/hum.

Earlier the noise was directly proportional to how dark the scene being recorded was. Now the noise increases with brightness going up.

Then again it could be the cable as when you looks closely at the video below, after the one minute mark you can see the same banding I'd experienced with the 4 metre 3rd party cable and the A119S when mounted in the rear. Only difference being the that the increase in noise has switched from night to day.

@nephilim Settings were identical for the day and night videos.

Last edited:
Back