0906 public test - bug list in live

Did you solder it onto the other resistor? :D

I was out driving again today, sadly i dident get to change avay from log only on the GPS side.

So just like yesterday i have some holes in the GPS track using the RV player, and i also got a couple of event recordings made plus there seem to be a issue with a couple of files too.
The files with the ! are from the start of my trip and then 6 minutes into the drive the recordings stop on both cameras and i drive on for another 1 Km and stop at a gas station, and after that both cameras are okay again and record the rest of my 40 km drive with no errors aside got the GPS gaps in RV.
So it would appear the camera some times have a problem finalizing the last recording made, it was the same yesterday but there i drove for 18.5 minutes before i stopped first time, but the last 30 seconds are not there as the recording stop at 18 minutes.

and then i also noticed it seem like the 0906 are also a time machine.
While display time/date appear true then some files are saved using the a time/date in 2034 ( see picture )

The time machine files only seem to be from the start of the day, so 2 made yesterday A&B and the same for today.

0906_2034_timemachine.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the start group of my drive today, you can see recording stop at 6 minutes so the last +2 minutes until the gas station are not recorded.

This is both A & B camera, where as yesterday it only seemed to be the B channel.

0906_last_file_error.jpg

I should maybe also mention that every day the 0906 come out of the car with me, so its not like it have been cooking in the car until i leave home, so its not a heat issue i think more a problem with saving last file.

On my next drive i will try to make sure a do a lot of small drives and stop / start my car several times to try and force this error to maybe do more than 1 a day, cuz the rest of my drive out from the gas station are there and there was no errors on my drive home.

And i have not had the camera apart at home, only taken memory card out of it to review footage.

On my next drive i will try to make sure a do a lot of small drives and stop / start my car several times to try and force this error to maybe do more than 1 a day, cuz the rest of my drive out from the gas station are there and there was no errors on my drive home.

since there is super capacitor used in 0906 which need to be recharged after every boot up; if the recharge time is too short then there will be not enough power in super capacitor to close the last files correctly, that is why there is a ! in RV file list.
we are testing another super capacitor, which may short the charging time, but it still need to be recharged enough before the files can be finished.

So i took a drive today and tried to force the camera to make more errors by not being able to finalize the last file.
I did so by yanking the camera out of the mount, have it shut down and then reinsert it in the mount.

By doing so with little time in between i got what i wanted ( i think you can do the same with any dashcam though i have not tried that before )

But it would seem the capacitors are charging slowly ( taking into account the 8 and 18 minute driver in the 2 past days i did before my first stop where the 0906 also did not save the last file properly )
So no wonder i was able to force the camera to do the same with only allowing its capacitors to charge for minutes today.

I must admit i had the understanding that the capacitors charged pretty fast upon boot of camera, at least that seem to be the smartest if you are going to make many short drives with stops in between.
I am not sure at what rates capacitors charge, or if that dont matter if the capacitors are better / larger. But having them charge really fast upon camera boot seem like a good idea to me, no matter how large the capacitors might be.

0906_forced_error..jpg

I am not sure at what rates capacitors charge, or if that dont matter if the capacitors are better / larger. But having them charge really fast upon camera boot seem like a good idea to me, no matter how large the capacitors might be.

you can't charge caps too fast or that would be a problem also, there's no need to trickle charge them either though, in most camera designs you'll find the caps will charge in anything from about 15 seconds up to about 3 minutes, even in the ones that charge slower there should be enough power to close the file and shutdown after around 30 seconds

I figures it was something like that, and that's still fast, so my caps should be charged in the 8 minutes or 18 i had for the first part of my drive Friday and Saturday.
So there are a issue in my camera, maybe arisen with the latest firmware as i have not had last file problems before.
And i actually think i upgrades to the newest firmware on Thursday evening.

And its only a issue after a night of inactivety by the camera sitting on my computer table.

My drives are often the same, leave home, stop at the Circle K gas station on the way south out of town, and then proceed from there to my friends house another 40 km away.
But its only on the first part of my trip i see the problem.

I figures it was something like that, and that's still fast, so my caps should be charged in the 8 minutes or 18 i had for the first part of my drive Friday and Saturday.
So there are a issue in my camera, maybe arisen with the latest firmware as i have not had last file problems before.
And i actually think i upgrades to the newest firmware on Thursday evening.

if they still weren't charged after 8 minutes running there's a hardware problem of some sort

Maybe a fractured leg to one of the caps like I saw with mine?

Some capacitors, like the ones for memory and clock backup must be charged very slowly, but I think you can always charge a capacitor as fast as you can discharge it and since they get around 50% discharged in around 5 seconds when you remove the power they should be capable of recharge in 10 seconds. You probably want to charge them a little slower so that you don't overload the power supply but the 30 minutes in the manual seems very excessive.

I don't think it needs 30 minutes to charge the capacitors, my wife's drive to work in the mornings takes anywhere from 6 - 7 minutes to a max of 10 12 minutes (dependent a lot on traffic) and looking at all last weeks files, non of them were corrupted due to not having power to safely save the last file

Friday night my daughter took the car to the corner shop, maybe 2 minutes there and 2 minutes back, both files saved safely

I've not had any issue regarding the rear camera needing a CPL filter, but as for the front camera, I took the CPL filter off my mini 0806 and placed it on the front of the mini 0906 same fit, I found the reflections off the front windscreen was taking away too much clarity from the captured image, I won't say the CPL filter has cleared all the reflections but its a vast improvement on not having one on

I've received my lens to replace the existing lens on the 0906, but I've been putting it off, every day I say to myself "right today I'm going to open her up" but as I sit at the table to take her apart I get cold feet, in case I might damage it, I'll have to make a start on it this week and get the new lens on it

Either both or one of the adjustments (latest firmware and other resistor) improved the heat durability incredibly :)

Car (and 0906) was in direct sun for the whole day (its really hot here atm, roughly 32C outside temperature) but the camera recorded without any issues. After initial boot it said 74°c (osd) and during driving it heated up to max. 94° without any shutdown :)

Either both or one of the adjustments (latest firmware and other resistor) improved the heat durability incredibly :)

Car (and 0906) was in direct sun for the whole day (its really hot here atm, roughly 32C outside temperature) but the camera recorded without any issues. After initial boot it said 74°c (osd) and during driving it heated up to max. 94° without any shutdown :)
Yeah, I have noticed the same

In latest firmware the in footage text have changed to black color making it impossible to read at least in night footage.

as I’ve shown in one of my previous posts, I made a temporary bracket for the rear DVR to overcome the shallow bracket the rear camera has, and to get over the tall lip around the rear window of the Ford Fiesta

previous bracket
back_cam1-SMALL-.jpg

as I’m going to be driving to Italy with my car in just over 2 weeks time, I plan on giving mini 0906 a good testing in cold, warm and very hot weather all within a few days of each other and will report back.

As yet I didn’t have the heart to swap over the lens as I was afraid of doing more harm than good so for now I’ve not yet swapped this over (I might before I go but not yet sure if I’m brave enough)

anyway back to the bracket, the temporary bracket did it’s job well on the Ford Fiesta, no shaking of the camera, all captured footage showed no sign of vibration while recording, I did have to use Gorilla double sided Tape, as closing the tail gate of the Fiesta hatch back did drop the DVR from the home made bracket a few times, but once Gorilla double sided Tape was used the DVR was rock steady at all times and never came off again

now the rear screen on my Lotus is more or less vertical so the old bracket used in the Fiesta wouldn’t work for two reasons, as mentioned rear screen is vertical and the fitted mount could not be made to face the screen to stick it to the screen, the second reason, above the rear screen is a round roll over bar with no flat surface on it

P1120655-_SMALL.jpg

this afternoon I had a bit of time on my hands (as I’m rushed off my feet with work, before I set off on holiday) I got hold of an aluminum angle with approx measurements of 35mm tall 45mm deep and 40mm wide

on the tall 35mm section I worked out where the center of the DVR lens would be and drilled a 20mm hole, on the 45mm depth I drilled 4 small holes to screw the bracket of the DVR on to, I could of used double sided tape, would of been quick and easy but I wanted to use as little double sided tape as possible, going to a hot country

bracket.png

then I sprayed the bracket with lots of degreaser (the sort of stuff one uses to get a car engine clean from oils and grease) and left it on the bracket for a good 10 minutes then put it under running water for a further 5 or so minutes to remove the degreaser, I wiped the bracket with paper towel and left to dry for a good 30 minute while I got on with some day job work (all from home)

the face of the bracket that I was going to place the 3M pad to stick the bracket to the window, I masked it with masking tape, so when paint spraying it, I wasn’t going to get paint on that part of the bracket as I wanted the 3M tape to stick to metal ,not the paint that might come off at a later date

once the bracket was dry I gave it 3 coats of spray primer, 10 minutes between coats, the last coat of primer was placed in the kitchen oven for 20 minutes oven set to 50c - 70c, then a further spray of 3 coats of black paint, the last coat again was placed in our kitchen oven like the primer was, 50c - 70c for 20 minutes

P1180390-SMALL-.jpg

once the masking tape taken off the face, showing the 20mm aperture for the lens

P1180394-SMALL-.jpg

DVR attached to the bracket

P1180398-SMALL-.jpg

P1180401-SMALL-.jpg

P1180403-SMALL-.jpg

showing where the 3M pad will go, as I’ve not yet stuck the pad on to the bracket I’ve yet to cut out the 20mm aperture out of the 3M pad

P1180405-SMALL-.jpg

showing that this bracket can also be used as my old one was

P1180410-SMALL-.jpg

or at different angles, if your rear screen is at an angle as like on almost every car

P1180412-SMALL-.jpg

it your rear screen has a strong drop angle, no need to cut out the 20mm hole like I have and instead of having the lip 35mm tall, you could go for a shorter lip like maybe 15mm or 20mm

P1180413-SMALL-.jpg

hope this might be of help to some :)

Last edited:
just a test on my front house window (double glazed reflections in the clip) to see if the 20mm aperture was enough to clear the angle of view of the lens or was I getting any vignetting

as it turned out the 20mm and distance the lens was from the aperture was enough not to be getting any vignetting

Disregard the reflections in the window, that's more due to our dogs putting their noses close to the glass and as can be seen, the aluminum bracket without the 3M pad reflect some light. distorting the image quality that when fixed to my rear screen will be eliminated (hopefully :) )

Back