A118C2 version and GPS

David Sheets

Reaction score
Country
United States
I purchased the Spy Tech version A118C2, and it works fine overall. I purchased a VIOFO GPS module, but it isn't putting any GPS data on the video. I did go in the menu and enable the GPS, but nothing appears on the display. I have it plugged into the [in] jack, and have it stuck on the windshield. The GPS on my radar is in the same location, and works fine.

Am I missing a step?

Here are links to Amazon for the items I have:
A118C2: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01MYTR45YGPS: https://www.amazon.com/gp/B01MDQP9BG

you won't see anything in the video, you may get some on screen signal bars when it's connected, possibly a speed readout if they have that enabled, these are on the LCD only though

After restarting the system a few times I am now seeing a speed on the display, but it is in KPH. Is there a way to change it to MPH?

Attachments

• IMG_1014.JPG
    IMG_1014.JPG
    403.9 KB · Views: 16
After restarting the system a few times I am now seeing a speed on the display, but it is in KPH. Is there a way to change it to MPH?

there's no option to change it but it's only displayed on the LCD which you can barely see, does it really matter, it's more just an indicator that it's working

there's no option to change it but it's only displayed on the LCD which you can barely see, does it really matter, it's more just an indicator that it's working

True it is tough to see. I guess I'm more concerned about it displaying MPH on the recorded video.

I got your Amazon support message. (since you bought the GPS from us) Glad to hear you got it working.

True it is tough to see. I guess I'm more concerned about it displaying MPH on the recorded video.

speed doesn't get embedded in the video anyway, not an issue as the playback software will display MPH, it's a menu option in the players

I got your Amazon support message. (since you bought the GPS from us) Glad to hear you got it working.

Yeah, after a few restarts, it started putting the speed in the display.

speed doesn't get embedded in the video anyway, not an issue as the playback software will display MPH, it's a menu option in the players

Well that is disappointing. I was hoping to have it in the video recordings.

Try using RegistratorViewer (Windows) and or DashCamViewer (both Windows and Mac) apps next.

If you have an Android phone also check out GPScam

Here it is mounted. A very busy area, with the dash cam, radar detector, adaptive cruise radar, lane departure, etc., but it blends okay.

Attachments

• IMG_1021.JPG
    IMG_1021.JPG
    411.4 KB · Views: 17
Did you open and flip the GPS antenna? It's facing the wrong way and you'll get poor results if you don't (and a very slow lock)

Did you open and flip the GPS antenna? It's facing the wrong way and you'll get poor results if you don't (and a very slow lock)

I did not do that, but I will, as I have mine on the windshield.

Just to be clear, the only way to view the videos, other than on the A118C2 itself, is to remove the memory card? This thing doesn't have Bluetooth or any other way to view the videos does it? Has anyone tied a Bluetooth memory card, like an eye-fi card, assuming they make one in micro SD size?

Last edited:
That's correct they don't make Bluetooth/wifi microSD cards. There are some Full Size wifi SD cards but those won't fit.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if all the cheap GPS modules need to have the antenna flipped (to be used on the windshield)?

I've bought this one, which has the adhesive already applied, so I'd rather not to open it up, if it's not necessary.

Picture shown is the dashboard mount type, lots of reports of problems with the cheap GPS withe the genuine cameras so probably wise to test it before you do anything anyway

Back