Control multiple git2 cameras with Arduino + HDMI trigger

Mocap

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hi,

GitUp released a HDMI based cable to trigger video and photo capturing on up to six cameras almost
instantaneously:

This is nice but I want to control this remotely so that I can take pictures from some distance to the cameras. Does someone know how the trigger works/how it could be implemented using an Arduino unit for instance?

See: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/gitup-git2-support-faq-review.14625/page-79#post-237880

y3m6b3ZoTp1DtN_a7hpJCssm3uOd3cFo1If7tEQaQN0mU3-fw8TLf7pmFt1_25qXevLRBLpRHlZU6NoeaVKML-bwjOj7ipQzp4uk2pgYwlVduf2oQMMKIAA0gIvKpkxO-aGWsiEl1bxF2NsexD4c1tjGLQGBW15tgOGns8EOLwJ0VQ

y3m7Rno_vN8jR2uXoo5iE3_oYs9kHUQ0XMkUJS_cZnzm-5gT59DDQ4Vu2tAaG7-YsOuc-pPj7ttQ6x0yVw0kMhnssnvR83R91WFFnxepMbF-r_Dm3KHu2llsDpSS5VxZ9mTGg5gjd2z0vpGaZVfyjX-ckX3Ar68Q6V2j4Yn63nIzFs

y3mtQFEIePfOSPI_47Eu__fYll3VEkPnTlPpPgYID2KHvGR14NqaxXTC-9cKiPNWSmC4R4ToF_PSav6Wlzrvjx32QUVDWxOberWvredJhtSjPZYfAehfHE2wO6qQcTWUbnlVbJ2qR1YOkoAqAHl9jVGNAySKSNOltTrJKyQprSTm64

Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I am looking for.
Please post some details of what you build and some photos/video from it when you get it working...

It will be a 360° rig. I will post details when all planing is finished.

It will be a 360° rig. I will post details when all planing is finished.

did also 3d print a 360 rig and plan on using it with the wired remote they provide. i guess the guys who plan on releasing an app can also trigger multiple git but only in i later release. you might also look into THIS. Keep us posted!

A wifi app won't be able to control more than one since it can only connect to one wifi device at once.
If you connect all your Git2s to your router instead of using them as the router then a custom app can easily talk to many, however the accuracy of the timing probably isn't going to be nearly as good as with the HDMI control input.

you can also mod the esp8266 as hotspot...

did also 3d print a 360 rig and plan on using it with the wired remote they provide. i guess the guys who plan on releasing an app can also trigger multiple git but only in i later release. you might also look into THIS. Keep us posted!
Do you mean the Brahma guys? I originally wanted to buy their rig but then switched over to a custom GoPro rig where I can attach different camera brands more easily. One thing which concerns me with the git2 camera is the photo image quality compared to its competitors (video quality is ok).

no i printed one by myself from martin out of petg. tbh i would rate the image quality of the git2 over any other if we are considering jpg only (raw is on par with the xiaomi yi, but you cant turn off the aggressive nr on the yi) and the ability to adjust settings. compared the yi still provides more features with the scripts... but lacks the pwm trigger what is for me the single most important feature of the git also their community support. BUT i had to refocus my git2 lens...

One thing which concerns me with the git2 camera is the photo image quality compared to its competitors (video quality is ok).
I thought the photos I posted above where OK, and those are just jpg photos, not raw. What do think is wrong with Git2 photos?

same i dont know what you expect of a 1/23 sensor, i think the provided quality is outstanding considering the optics it can even match the canon a2300...

also HERE a quick and dirty example of the rig 360 photo possiblities. no post correction done and no settings adjusted except iso and white balance...

edit: and the unnatural RAW pano

Last edited:
So I've been working on trying to get an arduino to control the Git2. As of right now, the arduino is sending a PWM output varying in widths of 1 ms, 1.5 ms. and 2 ms in a 20 ms cycle (50 Hz) in order to change the mode of the camera. I then route that output into the micro-HDMI port of the camera.

Unfortunately, the signal is not causing the camera to change modes. I sent the outputs to pins 2 and 4 of the female HDMI port on the camera by connecting the output of the arduino to pins 2 and 4 of the male HDMI. When this didn't work, I subsequently tried to connect the output to pins 16 and 18 of the male; this didn't work either.

Any advice as to what is potentially going wrong in my setup?

Hi OptoQ,

I'm using arduino without problems are you calling AnalogWrite or Servo lib ?
I'm having troubles taking several pictures ( 1 picture on every 3 or 5 seconds ) and after some shots the camera stop to taking pictures for a while (30 seconds) and then start again.

Back