Is that the expected video quality?

The F770 has decent quality it just lacks the bitrate for its resolution. I can easily notice the compression artifacts (blockyness/jagged lines) especially in complex scenes (eg. lots of trees).

But compared to the SG9665GCv3 i found the quality difference to be minor. See my comparison vids here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLspuIuyai_YbNPIpJQc4aJ1IMv9Nge4DC

The problem is that it's hard to judge because of YouTube compression and the aspect ratio you've done to compare both videos.

Can you upload the RAW file from the Thinkware to dropbox?

Where are you in Australia? maybe we can meet and drive the same road together and compare qualities?

Hi Gil! I read your whole thread, and here are few points from me:
  1. 30 Mbps bitrate or more in continuous recording would be better. We agree on that, but we don't have it. And this is a problem when there are trees or another complicated structures in the scene, which need higher bitrate. If the camera use the big part of the available bitrate to compress the details of the trees, we loose it on the plates and on the other parts of the scene. The only solution should be a special algorithm, which will prioritize the details in the middle and lower parts of the screen, and ignore the details of the trees or the sky in the upper third of the screen. But I don't think it's possible integrate something like this to dash cams in nowadays.
  2. I downloaded your videos, and watched them in VLC. I can read most of the license plates, not all, and it's not easy, but if the license plate is not in wide angle to your camera, it's readable. Of course, not in cases, when the plate is dirty, like Audis. Another think is, you have smaller plates, like we here in Europe, and the fonts on the plates are narrow to.
  3. Wide angle lenses. This is the biggest part of your/our problem. F770 have a 140°, very wide angle lens. If the lens is this wide, the camera need to fit more information to the same number of pixels. This means, the license plate will be smaller, and because of the limited bitrate, it will be harder to read. The only solution for this wide lenses is a bigger resolution with the adequate bitrate. Something like 1440p or more, and bitrate around 40-48 Mbps or more. But in that case 1 minute of recording will have 300-360 MB, and one hour around 17,6-21,1 GB. One hour of continuous recording, for one channel! The 128 GB card will be the minimum, and there will be also a problem with high bitrates through the long cables of the back cameras. It's not impossible to make a camera with this parameters, but not for this price.
  4. BTW, price! 650 AUD for F770? I don't know what kind of taxes do you have there, but it seems to me extremely overpriced. I bought my 2-channel F770 with hardwire cables and with 32 GB card for 245.74 GBP, which is ca. 411 AUD and that price included the post fees.

I just now see that my old dash cam Nextbase 402G is better in video quality, but battery is dead now, thats why i replaced it with F770. And the bitrate is ~10Mb/s vs ~15Mb/s.
Why Thinkware don't use different bit-rate for parking mode and different (better) for normal use ?
If I will use only front camera, is video bit-rate will be higher than 10Mb/s?

After a while using of F770, video quality is poor.. I was thinking maybe i will replace it with DOD SC500S
RC500S_1z7.png

It has Sony Starvis (Starlight Visibility) IMX291 sensor, and it has very good video quality,
Bit rate in front and rear is ~15Mbps each channel
Plus you have CPL filter out of box

Sample:
http://static.wr24.pl/samples/dod/dod-rc500s-day-front.mov
http://static.wr24.pl/samples/dod/dod-rc500s-day-rear.mov
http://static.wr24.pl/samples/dod/dod-rc500s-night-front.mov
http://static.wr24.pl/samples/dod/dod-rc500s-night-rear.mov

I wonder if i can use same cables from F770, it will be easy to replace only device and leave cable untouched in my car.

Last edited:
I cannot understand bad video from the F770, I find it excellent and easily on par with any of the many single cams I used in the past, mainly nasty ones which although image good that was only IF they worked at the time, weren't at repairers at the time having yet another battery, think of it as an overall package.

After a while using of F770, video quality is poor.. I was thinking maybe i will replace it with DOD SC500S

The DOD specs look good on paper. A couple things of note while reading up about it:

-The hardwire kit is 2 wire (Constant 12v & GND) so no switched ACC signal.

-The parking mode is engaged after 10 minutes of G-sensor inactivity. I cant tell if its pre-buffered recording and at what quality.

-The low voltage cut off is fixed at 11.5v which is way too low. It will fully discharge the battery at that voltage causing permanent sulfation.

I'm curious on how well the parking mode works and the power consumption figures...

I will not hard-wire that dash cam, and i was wonder is they have same cable type connecting back camera with front main camera... Its easy to change front camera, and power adapter in front, but from rear camera cable are going under seats, roof and so on ;)

And about quality... in day time, its hard to read numbers from registration plate of car who was driving near me from opposite direction..

And this is quality in my dash cam, front cam, 1080p/30fps
I cant tell what is number on that white Audi driving in front in opposite direction at speed 30km/h ? In nice day.. WTF ?
REC_2017_06_08_15_03_14_F.MP41.jpg

REC_2017_06_08_19_02_37_F.MP41.jpg

Last edited:
That's the RAW file as it is.
I can upload another file if you want.

You have to download the file, don't view it in the browser.
After you download the file, can you confirm the bitrate? is that the expected bitrate?

When you share a dropbox link, change the part at the end from dl=0 to dl=1
That will force a full download and bypass the in confusingly bad quality browser based trans-coded playback.

And this is quality in my dash cam, front cam, 1080p/30fps
I cant tell what is number on that white Audi driving in front in opposite direction at speed 30km/h ? In nice day.. WTF ?

at the bitrate they have to run (hardware limitation) that's about as good as you can expect, your old Nextbase camera would have had superior video

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
kehray F770 4
T F770 7
P F770 8
7rank F770 9
Back