FORMATTING

tabetha

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have only just learnt to format media in my PC, as not good with these things, I am asked whether I want to format to FAT32 and something else I can't remember, what is/are the different types used for ?, is one better than others ?, does it have to be as I'm assuming a certain format type for the dashcam ?, and can formatting do any harm ?
Would formatting erase the file with the speed cam data in it, or is this protected ?
Thanks in advance for your help, it is much appreciated, it's hard to learn at 51 y/o with brain damage, aspergers and other things so thanks for your help.

Last edited:
thank you jokiin, why is that ?

thank you jokiin, why is that ?

PC's don't always format a card the same way a camera does, unless you have a camera that specifically mentions having to format the cards in a computer (generally some older models) using 3rd party software then it's always best to format in the device which will be using the card, same goes for any type of camera, not just dashcams

formatting in a PC using the SDFormatter software can still be useful though if you need to return a memory card to its default state to correct an error or whatever, you should still format again in the camera afterwards though

Jokiin, thank you so much for this info, I will certainly follow what you say, and format in the dashcam from now on should it be done routinely ?

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear, my mate who knows less than I, although that's going some says it can damage the card!!

Thanks, just what I wanted to hear, my mate who knows less than I, although that's going some says it can damage the card!!

you could format the card every day for the rest of your life and you'll never live long enough to wear out the allocation table which is all the camera actually resets when formatting

Thanks a heap Jokiin, I am always happy to learn, just not always able, you and people like yourself are a credit to this forum, thank you

you could format the card every day for the rest of your life and you'll never live long enough to wear out the allocation table which is all the camera actually resets when formatting
I know that you are the best expert in this camera and a juts need an information. I had changed my F750 to F770 and I am using the F770 latest firmware version. I read the micro sdxc card in the PC and apparently the partition format used by F770 is not FAT32 as previous used by F750. My program report partition as "other" and I think this a Exfat partition (I don't know if exfat 2, 3 or 4). Have you this information ? Thanks in advance for your usual help and expertise. Best Regards Marcos Silva from Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

I know that you are the best expert in this camera and a juts need an information. I had changed my F750 to F770 and I am using the F770 latest firmware version. I read the micro sdxc card in the PC and apparently the partition format used by F770 is not FAT32 as previous used by F750. My program report partition as "other" and I think this a Exfat partition (I don't know if exfat 2, 3 or 4). Have you this information ? Thanks in advance for your usual help and expertise. Best Regards Marcos Silva from Rio de Janeiro - Brazil

if it was exFAT your computer would report that correctly, they use some proprietary version of file system that they seem to think is better, maybe it's about restricting it to using their own memory cards, they do have problems with a lot of other cards, it's not something I've looked at closely though

Thanks for your message. MAC OSX report it as a exfat . I will test it a litter bit more and post results. Thanks again Marcos Silva

I got a message today from my 770 that I had never heard before, "REGULARLY FORMAT CARD FOR DATA INTEGRITY", I was putting in my original 32GB card that came with my cam which hasn't been in it for 6 months or so when this warning came up, so I pressed the format button before it had started proper thinking the thing couldn't start ha ha.

Mine also requested a format today I myself wondered as the vehicle been sitting in extreme heat for days had this triggered this request, like you I pressed format on the camera and all was good,my card has only been in about six weeks with approx 12 hours driving and 2 hours parked in total, the card I'm using at the moment is a Sandisk extreme 64gb.

So the Sandisk is working ok in your F770 ?, I tried a LEXAR 633X but no joy would not work!!

Sandisk extreme 64gb works ok in the F770 also Samsung evo 64 gb works, but like you I tried Lexar 633x High performance 64gb that does not work, but please bear in mind those two that have worked for me have not had a long enough trial yet, the mileage I've used them so far is about 1500 miles so not really long enough test, as some users have said some of the memory cards work to start with then stopped with card error message.

I bit the bullet already a while ago and bought thinkware 64GB as worth paying the extra for no hassle, but it would be so nice for a larger sd card

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T F770 2
Lois Pallister F770 26
Back