Anyone with a grey cam ever just use a Sharpie to color it black?

OP & I are interested in solutions that do not involve dismantling the camera

You can do this easily without dismantling the camera. Carefully mask off the lens and whatever ports might get paint in them with some low residue quick release tape and hit the front of the camera with two light coats of flat black spray paint. You can get as fussy - or not - as to how carefully you want to mask off the lens and ports. It's not that critical as long as you are basically careful with the tape and also don't get overzealous when you spray the thing, especially around the lens. A light touch using spray paint is the best approach. You can always hit it again. I think you'd be pleased with the results. I've done this; it works and it's easy. You asked about using Plasti-dip, so if you just use flat black paint instead you can get a stealthy looking camera that looks as nice or even better than when it came from the factory. It's a bit of work but definitely worth the trouble.

If you use a sharpie or some other marker, be prepared to make several applications. The nice thing about black is it kind of 'accumulates', and you can eventually cover over any smeary looking bits. I can't remember what I used a sharpie to 'color', but vaguely remember some plastic object.

Back