Mini-Review: G1W Fake from BG

Update: Still working 2 months later, but randomly shuts down about once a week- doesn't seem power related as I switched PS's to a known good one. Doesn't seem heat or cold related either. Probably my last update till it's obituary is needed :p

Phil

Update: About 6 months after purchase now. The cam sat idle for about 6 weeks then last week went back into service. Yesterday it would not start, which I thought might have been from sitting in a hot van all day long. On bench testing today, it would load the start-up screen image but got no further- locked up completely. After a few hard resets it finally began working, but the screen filled with vertical lines than it locked up completely again. Reformatted the card in the PC, let the battery charge 10 minutes, then tried again with success. The date/time was off but the other settings were OK.

As I've had a similar problem with a real G1W-C before, I expect this is an omen of impending cam death. The likely culprit is an overheating chip or electronic component. I'm ordering another G1W-S in a moment and hoping this one will last until it arrives. Getting 5-6 months usage from this cheap cam was all I expected to get, so no complaints really but I still cannot recommend it at all :whistle:

Phil

Way late but an update and vid clip. The cam still works but it's not normally in service so it's age doesn't reflect operating time. With a better PS it's more stable, which I think helped the pulsating vids. The price is up a few $$ now. If you just need a very cheap basic cam that might last a few months this might be for you, but I highly recommend getting something better as times have changed and there are a lot of high-quality budget cams out there today with much better performance than this one,

This will be my last update in this cam as there's nothing more to say about it except to do yourself a favor and get a better cam ;)
Phil

Back