SG9665GC V3 keeps "reformatting" itself periodically & endlessly?

Surprisingly it came with a sd card even though the ebay listing said it wasn't so I purchased a 64gb transcend ahead of time. I haven't tried the card that came with the dashcam. I'll try updating firmware and formatting the 64gb card. If it still fails, I'll try the 32gb.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Surprisingly it came with a sd card even though the ebay listing said it wasn't so I purchased a 64gb transcend ahead of time. I haven't tried the card that came with the dashcam. I'll try updating firmware and formatting the 64gb card. If it still fails, I'll try the 32gb.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I was wondering what happened to my GC firmware update memory card I think I left it in the camera by mistake. You can keep it.

Is there instructions somewhere for the firmware installation process?

After reformatting from pc and on dashcam with doing the h2wtest I still am getting issues with the device asking me to reformat. Also when trying to install firmware on dashcam that isn't working as well. Always asks me to reformat the card when I put the card in fresh with just the bin file.

After reformatting from pc and on dashcam with doing the h2wtest I still am getting issues with the device asking me to reformat. Also when trying to install firmware on dashcam that isn't working as well. Always asks me to reformat the card when I put the card in fresh with just the bin file.

You might have a bad card, did you try another one yet?

Thought I lost it, but found it woo. I'll give this other card a try

Was able to install bin file onto dashcam. So looks like it only installs using that card. Does that mean other transcend sd card is bad?

Was able to install bin file onto dashcam. So looks like it only installs using that card. Does that mean other transcend sd card is bad?

format the other card in the camera and you should be ok, if it still gives you grief after formatting in the camera then there could be an issue with the card

I have done a full format of my Sandisk 200 GB micro SD in my PC, then formatted inside the SG9665GC - however, long term and it tries to reformat itself again.
It looks like the Sandisk 200 GB micro SD cards must be banned from the SG9665GC's...

I used the same card for about 9 months without issue, that's not to say they haven't changed something though

It's strange, because I have another car where the Vico Power Plus splits, this time front SG9665GC V3 and rear SGZC12RC V2 - and both of these dashcams use Sandisk 200 GB micro SD cards, yet neither the GC nor the RC plays up in this car - ever!

I wonder if it is an electronic problem?
Or the two way 12V socket splitter and the power supply inside???

For three months at the end of 2016, I ran one SG9665GC V2 in each car, for two cars, and both had Sandisk 200 GB micro SD cards, yet neither played up!
Now, those two GC V2's are placed in one car - one front and one rear - yet they both played up.

Meanwhile two brand new GC V3's purchased in January, and used front and rear in one car, both dashcams using Sandisk 200 GB micro SD's constantly play up every two days or so...

Maybe the black/red Sandisk cards also have the same proprietary controller issue the Grey/Red Sandisk Ultra cards have. The Sandisk ultra problem often doesn't surface for a long period of time. (Flips into read only mode now and again)

If you're going to try a new card get the Samsung EVO Select (green) cards. I've been using 256GB for many months with no issues.

Maybe the black/red Sandisk cards also have the same proprietary controller issue the Grey/Red Sandisk Ultra cards have. The Sandisk ultra problem often doesn't surface for a long period of time. (Flips into read only mode now and again)

If you're going to try a new card get the Samsung EVO Select (green) cards. I've been using 256GB for many months with no issues.

I got the 200gb card when it first came out and it has been rock solid, it's Sandisk though so its not to say they haven't changed the controller used in these cards at some point, one of the challenges with them is they do change stuff internally quite often

every sandisk card I have had over the years, about 4, has failed quite quickly, I will never touch sandisk again for dashcams.

I might have a breakthrough.
Previous times, I used this to reformat my Sandisk 200 GB micro SD cards:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

It was still playing up in my SG9665GC V2 and V3's.
So I used the software above again.

"Quick" mode formats in 1 second.
Last time I used the "Full Erase" mode, and it seems to format in only 1 second too, or it was very quick! I was a bit suspicious last time.

However, this time, instead of using Quick, or Full Erase - I chose the 3rd option called "Full Overwrite" mode.
It takes more than 5 hours to full erase format just one Sandisk 200 GB micro SD card!
Hopefully this does the trick, such that the SG9665GC will no longer ask me to format the Sandisk 200 GB micro SD card.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

I'd hate to have to spend $200 on a Samsung Evo 256 GB micro SD card...

Last edited:
Back