New owner questions

CBW

Reaction score
Country
United States
I just got my Mobius action cam. I will be using it as a dash cam with a super capacitor.
Although I have a smattering of tech knowledge, I still have a few questions about configuring the camera.
Do I enable the data port?
Power-on/auto record - off or external?
I want the camera to turn on when I start the car and turn off when I turn the car off.
I also want to conceal the camera when out of the car. Should I disconnect the camera from the power or leave it tethered when the car is parked?
Also, every time I start mSetup.exe, it asks if I want to update the firmware. Even though I say yes, and it uploads, it continues to ask.
TIA

One common issue those new to this cam have is forgetting to clink on the "set parameters" button on the bottom right of the page after making your selections before leaving msetup or removing the cam from your PC. This button applies the settings you choose which will not otherwise be saved and that may be why you keep seeing the new firmware message. If you look under the "Tools" button you'll see options on when you get update notifications.

With caps, you have to set "Power-Off Standby" to "OFF" and select "Immediate" on "Power-Off Disconnect"or the last file will not be saved. The other selections here can be used with battery-equipped models.

To get power-on when you start the car select "External Only" or "Both" under "Power-on Auto Record". The caps will hold the date/time for several days unplugged so you can safely stash the cam awhile. After about a week unplugged you will lose the date/time settings but all your other settings should remain intact. This time-frame varies from cam to cam but at worst you'll get 3 days unplugged and you may get as much as 10. Given it's tiny size and the fact that is doesn't look like a cam at a glance, most of us just leave it in place when parked if it's installed discretely. You can remove it if you like.

There's more of a learning curve with Mobius than with most other cams, but once you get it set up the way you want, it's a rock-solid reliable cam that you can pretty much forget about as long as you check the SD card occasionally and be sure it's powering up every time you start the car.

Phil

Thank you Phil and Dash

I select Power-on Auto Record as EXTERNAL
I select Power-off Standby as OFF
I select Power-off Disconnect as IMMEDIATE

Do I enable the data port charging? Or does it matter since I will be using the capacitor?
I have Power-On Delay as FAST

And, yes, I clicked Set Parameters.

I have read the manual cover to cover, but, in many cases, it is too technical for me. I can get the gist, but it really isn't written for a layperson (read Dummy) such as myself. What someone needs to do is a MOBIUS FOR DUMMIES!!!!
In at least one case, the manual was totally unhelpful. EX - in the In-Camera Formatting area it says it is best to use mSetup.exe. But it DOESN'T tell you that that is found in TOOLS. That would have been VERY helpful to me. I did it manually instead.

For a newbie such as myself, all this is very daunting and causes questions that may appear somewhat silly to those in the know.
Thanks again for your assistance.
Carol W.

Hey guys,
I still need to know if I should enable data port charging since I will be using a capacitor and the unit will be connected to the car's power source. I am thinking yes, but please confirm.
I also assume that this will continuously charge the capacitor so I won't have to do that unless the car is not used for several days?
TIA
Carol W

Hey guys,
I still need to know if I should enable data port charging since I will be using a capacitor and the unit will be connected to the car's power source. I am thinking yes, but please confirm.
I also assume that this will continuously charge the capacitor so I won't have to do that unless the car is not used for several days?
TIA
Carol W

As for whether to enable or disable the data port charging you can probably just ignore it. That function has to do with whether the camera will charge if connected to a PC USB port. The camera has a data connection to the PC for transferring video files and for programming via the mSetup GUI. That is a separate function from battery charging, although you can charge from the PC if you want to. When connected to a PC, the camera will go into "data" mode. If connected to a USB charger in the 12V cigarette socket in a car there would be no data connection to be concerned with and it will just start recording if programed to do so via Power On - Auto Record. Of course, it will charge too when connected to a power supply

Quote from the Mobius Instruction Manual:
"NOTE: Charging when connected to a PC USB port can be toggled ON or OFF using the setup program"

this is a duplicate posting- sorry if it is annoying to do so.

I ordered camera with super capacitor. Finally found a screwdriver small enough to remove back and install SC.
Does it come fully charged?
I followed instructions in manual - connected to charger plugged into wall socket - yellow light came on - turned unit off as per instructions in the manual - BUT, green light did not come on.
Does this mean it is already charged and ready for use?

Replied to your first post.

Back