SG9665GC quality issue: multiple defective cameras

Wow, I looked it up in my Amazon order history and that exact adapter has been powering my Mobius for almost two years now.

I guess I'll see about another warranty exchange, but I'm afraid I still have reservations. I'm sure you can understand, when these power supplies have been running my other cameras without issue. Is there something about the SG9665GC that makes it especially sensitive/fragile? And on my other power supply the first SG9665GC worked well enough for the two months I had it (except for the clock battery) but the second one died in two weeks. If they'd both failed in the same way, or if I understood why a power supply would be fine for one camera and deadly to another, this would all make more sense to me. But if I can get this second one exchanged I'll hard wire the supplied power adapter and see how that goes.

(And perhaps install my old cam next to it, just in case.)

Not every one of those budget power supplies I pointed out will show a problem, especially on systems that draw less power. There were enough reported problems to recommend avoiding it. Many failed in the winter time especially. Scroll through the 1 star reviews:
https://www.amazon.com/Spy-Tec-Hard...iewerType=avp_only_reviews#reviews-filter-bar

SG9665GC has higher quality components than normal. If there is a choice between a 10 cent component, or 1 dollar, the higher one is chosen etc. Even the PCB & Grade of Plastic used in the housing is higher quality.
GC is built to a higher price point. We've sold many thousands globally and there are no wide spread power issues.

Hard wiring the included cigarette power plug is a good way to go. (just chop off the end)

c8c9b00e776a9a5be6207da0df6aa642.png

Last edited:
Wow, I looked it up in my Amazon order history and that exact adapter has been powering my Mobius for almost two years now.

I guess I'll see about another warranty exchange, but I'm afraid I still have reservations. I'm sure you can understand, when these power supplies have been running my other cameras without issue. Is there something about the SG9665GC that makes it especially sensitive/fragile? And on my other power supply the first SG9665GC worked well enough for the two months I had it (except for the clock battery) but the second one died in two weeks. If they'd both failed in the same way, or if I understood why a power supply would be fine for one camera and deadly to another, this would all make more sense to me. But if I can get this second one exchanged I'll hard wire the supplied power adapter and see how that goes.

(And perhaps install my old cam next to it, just in case.)
Mobius is diffirent case.
Hafl of sellers and manufacturers i know refuse to warranty if you use power supply from 3rd company.
If you are seller, customers use low quality power supply from 3rd and the dashcam is bricked. What do you think ? Would you be happy and warranty for them ?

Mobius seems to take things in stride which no other cams will ;)

A dashcam is just one part of a system which includes the PS and the SD card. Any part of that system which is substandard to the cam's needs will result in problems. And many advertised specs for aftermarket PS's are, shall we say "optomistic" to what they will actually give you. Only the good stuff recommended by the manufacturer and here on DCT should be used- anything else is taking unnecessary chances at best :(

Phil

Back