Does a Mio Mivue 658 wifi power supply have to be connected directly into car cigarette input?

Adamchrissy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Is there a reason why the company who sell the Mio Mivue 658 wifi dash cam
say that it needs to be directly inserted into the cars cigarette lighter input and cant be used via a
splitter which connects to the cars cigarette lighter and has its own additional cigarette inputs into which they say the cam can not be inserted into?

Thanks
Adam

No, that should not matter aslong the 'splitter' does deliver 5V and enough current (A).
However, it might be the case that it will not recognize when the engine does start or stop in order to automatically start/stop the recording.

Some splitters are very woeful about delivering enough oomph esp if something heavy is plugged into other side, but if it works it works, the only one I found to be a problem was a genuine Garmin splitter which replaced ciggy lighter with ciggy lighter and two usb's on it's side, I couldn't use my compressor through this a sit was limiting the power, but with so little drawn by a dashcam I can't see any would be a problem.

Back