G1W-S

Buntings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently got one of these. It records absolutely fine - I have it set for 3 minutes loop. Motion detection is turned off and entire journeys are recorded without issues.

However it has two very annoying problems.

1) I have turned on "auto power off" and tried all values. However when the car ignition is turned off the camera turns off immediately. The same happens if it powered via a USB power source and the power removed.

2) The camera often does not turn on with the ignition and I have to press the power button. I have noticed this usually, although possibly not always, when I have had the ignition in "position 1" (ie just the aux/radio power position) and then start the engine.

I tried updating the firmware (dont have the versions to hand) without success.

I contacted Viofo - they suggested it was a capacitor issue (which does makes sense) and offered to replace the camera. However, as it was just a few days old got Amazon to replace it.

Sadly the replacement camera behaves exactly the same.....which seems either very unlucky or indicative of some design issue or incorrect setting.

I am still talking with Viofo but I was wondering if anyone has had similar issues or can suggest any settings that may cause this.

Thanks

Gareth

1) I have turned on "auto power off" and tried all values. However when the car ignition is turned off the camera turns off immediately. The same happens if it powered via a USB power source and the power removed.

that's exactly how it's meant to work, when there's no power it will turn off immediately

the auto power off setting is for when the camera is not recording but still powered, if you press rec to stop the recording and wait you will find the camera should turn off at whatever time interval you have selected

Auto Off setting has always been confusing for DashCam Newbies, I remember stumbling on the same thing years ago. Trying to think if there is a better description.

When you say you tried updating firmware without success do you mean it didn't solve the issue or the firmware didn't update?

I have had no issues with my cam failing to power on with the car ignition.. are you using the supplied power lead or one that didn't come with it?

When I bought my first dashcam (mio 508) I was using a different car "charger" (USB cig lighter with usb to micro usb lead) that had been lying around in the glovebox and although it looked to me like it was working properly, it wasn't, it was supplying a power source to the cam but it wasn't actually charging the battery properly and after a few weeks I couldn't understand why the cam wasn't holding power anymore, it was only when I started using the supplied Mio charger I noticed it was properly powering the dashcam

Thanks to all for the replies.

Firstly the firmware update - it worked correctly on the first webcam (I havent bothered updating the replacement camera) but it didnt solve the issue (or rather perhaps my perception of the issue). I am using an existing cable (ie one already tucked away behind the interior trim)....it had occurred to me that this could be the issue (I will explain what that cable is in a moment) hence I tried using the supplied USB cable but it does the same thing.

To explain further I have had an Eprance G1W camera for some 18 months and have recently decided that I wanted a camera with GPS and that I also wanted a rear facing camera. So....the old Eprance G1W got moved to the rear window and the new G1W-S put in the front screen (but using the old Eprance cable - to explain the previous comment ).

Now the old Eprance contains a battery rather than the capacitor that the G1W-S has in it. What I have attemped to do is set up the new G1W-S exactly like the old Eprance G1W since those settings suited my needs.

The Auto Power off feature on the old Eprance worked as the name and settings suggest - ie the camera continues recording for X minutes after the power (ie ignition) is turned off. The old Eprance will also operate, albeit for only a minute or two, without the power connected allowing you to remove it from the vehicle to take still photographs, or indeed video.

The new G1W-S wont even turn on unless the power is connected.....which I can sort of understand given its internal powersource being a capacitor.

So, I am wondering what the function of the capacitor actually is? Is it merely to save the settings....which implies that the settings can only be stored for a relatively short length of time given the small capacity of capacitors versus batteries.

I can see the use for a setting that keeps the camera recording after the ignition is turned off but cant for the life of me see why I would just want a powered up camera that doesnt do anything!

The two other bit of information that confuse me are firstly that viofo seem to understand the problem and suggested a possible solution and secondly that the manual (which possibly lost something in translation!) seems to suggest the functionality I expected...

By selecting Auto Power Off in the menu, the camera is able to set off automatically
after 3 Minutes, 5 Minutes or 10 Minutes. This may be disabled by selecting Off in
the menu. After highlighting the selection, press the REC button to update settings.

I will try Jokiin's idea in the morning but still a bit baffled by the completely opposite functionallity of the G1W-S versus my old Eprance G1W!

...So, I am wondering what the function of the capacitor actually is? Is it merely to save the settings....which implies that the settings can only be stored for a relatively short length of time given the small capacity of capacitors versus batteries....
The capacitor is there to provide power to save the last file when the primary power is removed and does not have the capacity to do anything more like the battery in your other cam. I'm not sure about this specific camera (G1W-S) but many have a small button cell for the RTC.

The Auto Power off feature on the old Eprance worked as the name and settings suggest - ie the camera continues recording for X minutes after the power (ie ignition) is turned off. The old Eprance will also operate, albeit for only a minute or two, without the power connected allowing you to remove it from the vehicle to take still photographs, or indeed video.

Delayed Off, or something similar is usually how they name the feature your referring to. All the Auto Power Off Features I have seen, simply shut the camera off after a certain amount of time if the camera is no longer recording for some reason. Yes, it seems like an odd feature in a dash camera, but someone probably uses it.

I am not certain if it's related but if the cam tries to keep running after ignition off (settings) then it could be draining the caps completely when it powers down. Then when you go ignition on, the caps could be taking in just enough power by deeply recharging to not allow the cam to power up. Just a guess mind you- I don't know the way this thing si programmed or the power requirements it has ;)

Should this be the case here, then setting for immediate cam off on ignition off should allow the caps to retain a little of their charge which could make start-up more reliable, and since you can't record after ignition off anyway then setting the cam to that can't have a detrimental effect. It's only a theory but worth trying. That's how mine is set up and it's been 100% reliable so far.

Also good to remember that while the form-factor is the same, this is not a G1W series cam as we know them inside. Different sensor, different chipset, different firmware, and different programming parameters. So settings may not behave quite like they previously did in G1W series cams.

FWIW, the low-light performance and reliability of this cam is so impressive to me that I just ordered a second one :D
Phil

I took mine out in favour of the stealth formfactor of the A118-c (second hand but unused off ebay dirt cheap), but the A118-c has given me a couple of issues and the night footage is cack so I might just have to put the G1W-S back in

The A119S would compare closely to the G1W-S in a wedge-shaped form-factor though it costs more. It's the great night performance and low price which recommends the G1W-S; otherwise there are better choices for most people.

Phil

I'm seeing a lot of reliability issues with the A119 series of cams at present, plus I like the "cable housing" of the A118 that really wouldn't go well with the A119

I do prefer my G1W-S but the A118 can stay where it is, and it can spy for me when the car goes for servicing!

Back