Wipers not reaching upto dashcam position

prashant04

Reaction score
Country
India
I have installed Viofo A118C in my Honda Civic, currently, they are installed behind rear view mirror.
Civic is having scissor wiper action, and due to which they do not wipe area near RVM (I have marked wiper clean zone in the following image). Due to this in rainy season dashcam recording is completely useless.

What can I do to solve this issue?
Option-1: Move dashcam exactly in front of driver position (this is where wiper reach properly) - marked with green rectangle in attached image
Option-2: Can I use any water repellent? will it be effective?

2017_05_15_10_01_33_2006CivicLX19Small.jpg_Photo_by_tj850GLT_Photobucket.jpg

Rain-X Rain Repellent is good, obviously a wiper blade going in front of the DVR would of been better

Replace car with one that has wipers that work properly :sneaky:

Can you sort the problem by fitting slightly longer wiper blades? You can often fit ones 1 or 2 inches longer.

Exactly the same as a Hexa's wipers.

Moving the camera within the wiper range while using the supplied mount isn't an ideal option as most of the left or right side (depending on which side it's mounted) will not fall within the camera's FOV.

In such a situation one could explore alternate DIY mounting options where the camera can be moved left and right once mounted. A suction cup mount from VIOFO should be available soon from what I read here, that may help.

Does the A118 have image rotation? Perhaps you could mount it at the bottom of the windshield? That's not ideal but it would put the camera behind the wipers in the middle of the car.

civic.jpg

Don't think it does either. If I remember correctly, the A119 has image rotation. Also the A119's adjustable lens is an added advantage.

If I were in a similar predicament, would probably utilise two cameras on the top corners of the windshield and get a wider overlapping view.

Don't think it does either. If I remember correctly, the A119 has image rotation. Also the A119's adjustable lens is an added advantage.

If I were in a similar predicament, would probably utilise two cameras on the top corners of the windshield and get a wider overlapping view.

Yes, the A119 has image rotation. That's why I thought the A119S might as well.

Yeah, two overlapping cameras on the A pillars is an idea that has been kicked around here before quite some time ago mostly with the Mobius in mind, which would lend itself well to the concept. I think your suggestion makes good sense here. Two A118C cameras, one on each side angled inwards would do the trick!

On my vauxhall meriva I put the camera behind the rear view mirror but biassed to the side so cannot be seen at all by driver as mirror blocks view and this put it within wiper swept area, it also has scissor wipers.
Rain X is awsome stuff for helping to clear water and their window cleaner spray works ace too.
As India drives on left why you driving LHD car, just curious

If I was in this situation, I'd either go with a driver side mount (emergency button is then reachable) or even two cams either side if I really needed the extra coverage. Be wary of the drivers sun visor though, it should still work as designed, the passengers are not important, just tell them to close their eyes.

Leaving the camera central, go with Rain-X if you don't mind the job of re-applying it every so often and it's cheap enough. Another solution would be to get a vehicle detailer to apply something like Gtechniq G1 which will last a lot longer than Rain-X and may even have a stronger water repel effect.

I had a similar issue with my 2013 civic Sedan. I ended up lowering is slightly and moving it a bit off centre (to driver side). It's not really noticeable. I also bought wiper blades for the a 2013 coupe. The blades are a bit longer so they wipe more of the centre windshield and higher. They did not touch so there is no issues.

It's early I hadn't thought about the picture being generic ha ha,

I currently drive a 2012 Civic with the same style wipers. I currently run (or have been running till yesterday) a Mini 0805. I've noticed this issue ever since a dashcam was on the car. Going way back to a crappy $20 cam, the G1Wc, etc.

What I did was mounted the camera a bit more to the side with the longer wiper blade, which happened to be the driver side since I'm in Canada (LHD).
I also swapped the driver side wiper with a longer blade. I believe it was 29". Any generic blade will fit. I bought a pair of Bosch Icons to match the blade style.
Just don't go too big because the blades will hit each other.

It's interesting some wiper sweep patterns for the normal/older type in the uk on some cars are NOT swapped over for RHD, renaults clio I am sure is one, they leave a arch blocking drivers vision while passenger wiper goes vertical to edge, they also have a key door lock on the passenger side only so if central locking fails you have to walk around passenger side to unlock that door so you can lean across to open drivers door!! renault are not the only ones though.

Back