New “Instantly Rechargeable” Battery Deals a Fatal Blow to Fossil Fuels

Street Guardian USA

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
StreetGuardian.CAM Amazon.com
https://futurism.com/new-instantly-rechargeable-battery-deals-a-fatal-blow-to-fossil-fuels/

IN BRIEF
Purdue researchers have developed a flow battery that would allow electric cars to be recharged instantly at stations like conventional cars are. The technology is clean, safe, and cheap.

GO WITH THE FLOW
Purdue researchers have developed technology for an “instantly rechargeable” battery that is affordable, environmentally friendly, and safe. Currently, electric vehicles need charging ports in convenient locations to be viable, but this battery technology would allow drivers of hybrid and electric vehicles to charge up much like drivers of conventional cars refill quickly and easily at gas stations.

This breakthrough would not only speed the switch to electric vehicles by making them more convenient to drive, but also reduce the amount of new supportive infrastructure needed for electric cars dramatically. Purdue University professors John Cushman and Eric Nauman teamed up with doctoral student Mike Mueterthies to co-found Ifbattery LLC (IF-battery) for commercializing and developing the technology.

flow-battery-1200x800.jpg

Image Credit: John Cushman/Purdue
The new model is a flow battery, which does not require an electric charging station to be recharged. Instead, all the users have to do is replace the battery’s fluid electrolytes — rather like filling up a tank. This battery’s fluids from used batteries, all clean, inexpensive, and safe, could be collected and recharged at any solar, wind, or hydroelectric plant. Electric cars using this technology would arrive at the refueling station, deposit spent fluids for recharging, and “fill up” like a traditional car might.

CLEANER, FASTER BATTERY TECHNOLOGY
This flow battery system is unique because, unlike other versions of the flow battery, this one lacks the membranes which are both costly and vulnerable to fouling. “Membrane fouling can limit the number of recharge cycles and is a known contributor to many battery fires,” Cushman said in a press release. “Ifbattery’s components are safe enough to be stored in a family home, are stable enough to meet major production and distribution requirements, and are cost effective.”

Click to View Full Infographic

Transitioning existing infrastructure to accommodate cars using these batteries would be far simpler than designing and building a host of new charging stations — which is Tesla’s current strategy. Existing pumps could even be used for these battery chemicals, which are very safe.

“Electric and hybrid vehicle sales are growing worldwide and the popularity of companies like Tesla is incredible, but there continues to be strong challenges for industry and consumers of electric or hybrid cars,” Cushman said in the press release. “The biggest challenge for industry is to extend the life of a battery’s charge and the infrastructure needed to actually charge the vehicle.”

When can we expect to see these batteries in use? The biggest hurdle isn’t the materials, which are cheap and plentiful, but person power. The researchers still need more financing to complete research and development to put the batteries into mass production. To overcome this problem, they’re working to publicize the innovation in the hopes of drawing interest from investors.

References: Purdue, Purdue Research Park

WRITTEN BY
Karla Lant
@KarlaLant Website
June 6, 2017

Last edited:
I'm a bit skeptic about this, it's like one of those miracle remedies for baldness, why keep it so secret if it's offering so much to so many:sneaky:
If this is true, it should be front page news everywhere.

He in Arlington we hear radio ads about the super fuel, which we should invest in to it.

This Breakthrough “Superfuel” is 1,693X More Powerful Than Gasoline

From the desk of a U.S. State Department Energy Advisor:

This Breakthrough
“Superfuel” is 1,693X More Powerful Than Gasoline

Unearthed in the Andes Mountains, these mysterious crystals contain
what MIT researchers call energy’s “Holy Grail.”

And they could ignite a $7.2 trillion economic revolution!

http://peakoil.com/alternative-ener...uperfuel-is-1693x-more-powerful-than-gasoline

He in Arlington we hear radio ads about the super fuel, which we should invest in to it.

This Breakthrough “Superfuel” is 1,693X More Powerful Than Gasoline
From the desk of a U.S. State Department Energy Advisor:

This Breakthrough
“Superfuel” is 1,693X More Powerful Than Gasoline

Unearthed in the Andes Mountains, these mysterious crystals contain
what MIT researchers call energy’s “Holy Grail.”

And they could ignite a $7.2 trillion economic revolution!

http://peakoil.com/alternative-ener...uperfuel-is-1693x-more-powerful-than-gasoline
I only read the article until it started sounding like complete BS. Then I just scrolled down the page and the only thing I see is graphics showing how rich investors will become if they invest in this so called "OBL".

I'm a bit skeptic about this, it's like one of those miracle remedies for baldness, why keep it so secret if it's offering so much to so many:sneaky:
If this is true, it should be front page news everywhere.
Don't be, it's very real and it's a damn good idea. Like it's said in the article, it hasn't been kept a secret, just hadn't reached the level of development necessary to be made public as a potential alternative to conventional fuels and current battery charging options.

Its just a concept, like hundreds of concepts in the past thats never seen the light of day in consumer use.

They always make bold claims to gain interest and drive up shares, rarely do they deliver.

Its just like how every couple of years some lab claims they are 99% close to achieving cold fusion.

New battery and energy tech shows up almost weekly, yet only once every few years does one of these get out of the original lab and into the light of day. And then he drawbacks and problems are discovered so the project goes dead again. About once a decade a concept or idea actually makes it into production, though the results are always much lower than the initial expectations.

Don't expect any major game-changers here or with any other new energy tech. The few ideas which do succeed will take a long time to become commonplace. A lot of this stuff does actually work- just not economically enough to change the game. I'm still glad they're seeking Utopia because without the seeking it will never be found ;)

Phil

Who is this desk? He sure gets about a lot.
Its just as real and serious as the "Ministry of silly walks" in Monty Python.
GhySjeq.jpg

I don't understand the video in the top, why do there put music on, so you can't hear what message there want to tell people.

Its just a concept, like hundreds of concepts in the past thats never seen the light of day in consumer use.

They always make bold claims to gain interest and drive up shares, rarely do they deliver.

Its just like how every couple of years some lab claims they are 99% close to achieving cold fusion.

Yep, you right.

I don't understand the video in the top, why do there put music on, so you can't hear what message there want to tell people.
I was wondering if the battery in his mic needed replacing. ;)

Flow batteries are real and work well, but they are impractical for cars at this time because they are 10 times less energy dense than normal batteries. If you have space at home for them, they do a pretty good job for stationary energy storage, and won't wear out like lead-acid batteries.

Yeah flow cells are pretty cool, and just add tanks to your fluids to scale up storage :cool:
But off course not for use in anything mobile, but i will take it over a tesla car battery nailed to my house wall.

There are research going on here in flow cell, as there should be with all of our wind power and solar that's also getting big here as its not everywhere you can put up even a little "hobby" wind turbine.

Watch closely now, the advances in batteries will come out of the woodwork. The hand is quicker then the eye!

If anyone thinks the oil companies are going to allow batteries to kill them off, you are living in dream world. They, and some other companies own and control this country, my opinion!

They got rid of Tesla when he came up with the answer to world energy (basically free). This will never happen unless they are able to control every aspect of $$$$ relative to it.

Last edited:
With him?

No, with the private industry. I don't hope there miss the train.
The only thing he really good at is: Tweeting, basing on people, brag and lying.

Back