Military Installations

almnd11

Reaction score
Country
United States
I work on an US Army Post and was considering getting a dashcam. There are plenty of signs posted regarding prohibition of radar detectors, use of cell phone while driving (unless its hands free), use of headphones/earbuds while driving/running/walking, etc. However, there is nothing stating no dashcams or cameras (most folks who work on the post have cell phones with cameras that they are permitted to have on their person). When I asked the provost marshal they stated they were not allowed but could not point to any regulation or law (I suspect it is a case of an overzealous cop stating his preference rather than being able to cite something that would stand up in court). I have searched the traffic laws/regulations for military installations and have not found anything that would expressly prohibit the use of a dashcam. So my question is Does anyone know of any federal laws that prohibit use of a dashcam on military installations? Is there anyone here that has a dashcam and also works on/visits a military installation and do you have any issues with having to remove it before driving on the installation?

My suspicion is that it would be dependent on the specific military installation (or a specific area within). I seriously doubt there would be an issue with a recruiting station but a missile launch site would be a totally different matter. There may not be a law or regulation - just local policy.

I living next to Pentagon, some places there got a no photo sign and its next to pentagon memorialo_O.
just google "pentagon memorial" and you will million of hit under image.
Even google car have been on the public road around pentagon and nothing is blur.

I think to quote my mate bucky, or to give him his proper title COLONEL BUCKENMEYER he says it is more to do with intent, I am around bases english and english/us they are not really bothered about filming depending on what you intend to do with it, unless you are trying to or accidentally film something sensitive there won't be a problem I know a pillock who walked into a workshop(propulsion) where there was a sensitive aircraft, I only went in to steal some cookies before the other GI's got them all baked by a GI's wife(my mates) god they were nice, came out of office stuffing my face to have a M4 pointing at me, he thought I was intruder but took some cookies himself!!
Surely they have a law and order desk there ? you could ask there

I know a pillock who walked into a workshop(propulsion) where there was a sensitive aircraft, I only went in to steal some cookies before the other GI's got them all baked by a GI's wife(my mates) god they were nice, came out of office stuffing my face to have a M4 pointing at me, he thought I was intruder but took some cookies himself!!
cookie_monster_arrested_by_ghost141-d3red31.jpg

I'm Army currently working at an Air Force Base. I never thought much of it, until a gate guard harassed my wife about while coming on base.

The conversation went:

Guard: is that a camera? Your not allowed to have that.

Wife: It's a dashcam and it records all the time, mainly to record traffic incidents for insurance or law enforcement purposes.

Guard: OK, still not allowed on base.

Wife: What regulation covers that, I'm not aware of any prohibiting dascams.

Guard: Don't know.

That was a year and a half ago and my wife and I are running dashcams still and no other gate guard has ever said a word.

That said, I make sure not to post any video around the gates.

If it's US Military there is sure to be a rule somewhere covering it. Only the IRS has more rules covering more things in detail than the US Military :p

I'd explain why I was asking, then request that the Provost Marshal have someone look into the matter to get you a definitive answer which could be made known to the ever-increasing numbers of dashcam owners on bases everywhere who simply want to follow regulations and avoid problems ;) That approach should get you a definitive answer eventually. In the meantime I'd remove the cam and put it in the dash or car trunk before entering the gates as the best way to avoid the issue.

Just a 'military brat' here with numerous family members having served our country from it's beginning till about 20 years ago including a recipient of the Navy Cross (insert waving US flag icon here).

Phil

I asked bucky about this and he has viewed this thread, he said BOLLOCKS, he said he wouldn't have a problem so long as footage was taken from in car and not in any sensitive area, he only ever had problems with "over sensitive" Mexican Home Guard he uses dash cams in all his cars, the only place he has ever taken it down is Whitesands NM, but that is sensitive being a missile training range. He admitted there IS a regulation that covers it but said just like there is with what your wipe your fanny with, too fkin many regs he said ha ha.

Thanks for all the replies. None of the individuals at the PMO could point to a policy or regulation that covers this restriction but were still indicating that recording video on post without prior approval was prohibited. My A119S came in (specifically got this because I can easily remove it from the GPS mount if the gate guards make having it on post an issue) and I will be installing it over the weekend.

As an update- I installed the Viofo 119s and have driven on post all week with no problem. It may be that because it is pretty stealthy it hasnt been noticed. Regardless, it hasnt been an issue yet.

As with all things military never admit anything, always deny every thing, never volunteer and say you weren't there when things go wrong, a Colonel told me that ha ha, he lives by it

Most US Military bases have a 'no unauthorized photography' policy. Included with that policy is a list of authorized areas, such as family housing, air park or display aircraft, and other common areas. Also in that policy is a list of common sense things to be aware of, like sensitive info in the background and such.

At first thought, a dash cam seems like it should be ok. But if you think about it, it would be easy to inadvertently get into some trouble. Get caught recording a weapons movement convoy, security forces response training, traffic into and out of secure areas, etc. Detaining you would definitely delay your plans and get you put on notice if nothing else. And could easily be much more trouble

Think twice and be safe.

The conversation went:
Guard: is that a camera? Your not allowed to have that.
Wife: What regulation covers that, I'm not aware of any prohibiting dashcams.
Guard: Don't know.
Law enforcement personnel are only required to tell the truth (per court precedent) while under oath in an official proceeding.
Many law enforcement officers have no clue what the laws they are supposed to enforce actually say.
It sounds like the guard made up a law on the spot when he could not point to a law. If the JAG can not point to a law prohibiting dashcams the first amendment should control.

JAG will probably not reference any law. Remember, once you enter the property you agree to abide by local policies even if it SEEMS it may be in conflict with your civilian rights. JAG will probably stay out of it without a formal complaint. Security Forces/LE should reference base/post/branch and DoD rules/regs/policies, not laws.

You agree to a different set of rules when entering a military installation whether you are military, contractor, dependent, or visitor. Vehicle search is one you agree to. A great example is driving privileges. MC safety course req to ride, no matter if you already have the license endorsement. No driving on base for x-days for DUI, even if you can drive on civilian roads after you get your license back. For non-threatening violations, they may limit base access or driving privileges. Thats much easier than going to court over simple things. Federal installation, federal magistrate.

It sucks to lose driving privileges for 30 days for a seatbelt violation.

Come 'on guys...I am not even in the military nor american....google is yr friend...

"..
The Army Public Affairs regulation states: Ground or aerial photographs, sketches, or graphic representations of classified military equipment or installations designated as restricted areas is punishable by law (18 USC 795). Reproducing, publishing, or selling this type of material is also punishable by law unless the photograph, sketch, or graphic representation indicates it has been reviewed and cleared for release by proper authority. The proper authority is generally the Public Affairs office.
If a guard or military police officer thinks you have photographed something classified or sensitive in nature, your film or digital card may be confiscated to check for inadvertent classified exposures. Items are classified if the general knowledge of them or how they work could cause harm to the United States in the hands of someone who wants to harm the nation or its citizens. Also, never shoot photographs through a fence or take photos of the guards or their buildings.
When in doubt, contact the Public Affairs Office. Access to military installations is usually granted, but all members of your group over the age of 16 must have a form of photo identification with them."
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/795
"...
a)
Whenever, in the interests of national defense, the President defines certain vital military and naval installations or equipment as requiring protection against the general dissemination of information relative thereto, it shall be unlawful to make any photograph, sketch, picture, drawing, map, or graphical representation of such vital military and naval installations or equipment without first obtaining permission of the commanding officer of the military or naval post, camp, or station, or naval vessels, military and naval aircraft, and any separate military or naval command concerned, or higher authority, and promptly submitting the product obtained to such commanding officer or higher authority for censorship or such other action as he may deem necessary.
(b)
Whoever violates this section shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 737; Pub. L. 103–322, title XXXIII, § 330016(1)(H), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2147.)

Work on Air Force base, haven't had a peep out of the guards re: my dashcam. They are generally too busy checking IDs and trying to keep things flowing when everyone is on the way to work in the morning.

It depends on the base though. Some are much more up everyone's ass about ANY kind of photography than others.

I would be willing to turn off recording while on base if asked. The dashcam is mainly for protecting me against idiot drivers when off-base. People tend to behave themselves, for the most part, when driving on-base. Have worked on a base for over 10 years & never had someone try to involve me in a collision there.

Every base will be different, it is up to each installation's Commander whether they are allowed or not. Even with no explicit prohibition, I think it is wise to turn the camera(s) off just before getting to the gate. There are legitimate OPSEC concerns. You might inadvertently record something sensitive, then when you are at home, an adversary interested in that footage breaks into your car and steals the memory cards. Far fetched scenario, I know, but I sure wouldn't want to find myself implicated in that situation.

Last edited:
I think you're overthinking it.

There are no "legitimate OPSEC concerns" in a public area, which is to say outside the gate. If there are, then somebody in charge screwed up.

Once I'm through and actually on the installation, then we can talk.

That's what i was referring to, sorry for the confusion. Recording the gate itself and anything while driving beyond it (inside the base) is the concern.

Back