Received my SG9665GC

FordFiesta

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
SG9665GC V3, SG9665XS
Just though I'd post about my excellent experience with @niko from hiniko.com.

Ordered my SG9665GC (also ordered a piggy back fuse connector) from him on 17 May after 11pm! Received order 19th May. Excellent service.

I was also kept informed of the order status and provided with tracking info. Before receiving the dash cam @niko emailed me full instructions, a quick start guide (also included in the box) and an information sheet.

Now have it installed in my car and it looks very discreet. Have hard wired it in to the fuse box using the piggy back connector.

Have been out for a couple of test drives and am quite pleased with the footage, although I do now need to clean the inside and outside of my windscreen.

Will post some pictures of my install later.

Was most impressed that everything was included in the box, to complete the install, including a lot of extra 3m sticky pads and the CPL filter and of course the Transcend Premium 400 micro sd card with adaptor.

I bought the Street SG9665GC due to: the support from the company and their retailers, Street Guardian's reputation, 2 year warranty, and the SG9665GC is a well though of dash cam

Should add that mine is the SG9665GC V3

You'll become anal about windscreen cleanliness soon, well at least in front of your cam that is :D You're in for a treat with this rock-solid highly developed cam ;)

Phil

Have details of the installation to my 2012 Fiesta.

Mounted the dash cam behind the interior mirror on the drivers side (RHD). From the drivers seat I can't see the dash cam protruding from the side or below the mirror.

Had to mount the camera this low to allow the lens to be in the area swept by the wipers.

Opened up the GPS unit to shorten the wires and resolder into the GPS unit. Mounted GPS unit on the far left side of the black dotted area. Kept GPS unit away from the dash cam to prevent interferience, but mounted on the dotted area to stop it being visible from outside.

DSCN1432.JPG

Tucked the power cable beneath the headlining and ran under the door rubber next to the passenger A pillar. Didn't remove the rubber, just tucked under the edge. Then ran the cable behind the glovebox to the fuse box. There are no cables on view.

Cut the cigar lighter plug off the power supply lead and soldered the live wire onto a piggy back fuse connector. Also put heat shrink over the solder joint. Put sleeving over the power supply live wire as the wires are very thin.

Soldered an eyelet terminal on the earth (negative) wire and connected to an existing earth point at the top of the passenger footwell. Also put sleeving on this wire.

Stuck the 12v to 5v voltage convertor (it's part of the original power supply lead) behind the dash board using one of the extra 3m sticky pads. You can't see the voltage convertor, but it's at the bottom right of picture, just below the coiled cable.

I used an ignition fed fuse (rear wiper) for the piggy back fuse holder. So the dash cam starts when you start the car and stops when you turn the engine off. NB there is a right way round and a wrong way round to insert the piggy back fuse holder into the fuse box. I used a 3amp fuse for the dash cam as that was the smallest one supplied with the piggy back fuse holder. The markings on the voltage convertor rated the 12v input current at 0.3 amp.
DSCN1418.JPG

View from outside. Depends on the lighting conditions as to how visible the camera is.
DSCN1425.JPG

Was finding it difficult to remove the micro sd card from the camera, as it was difficult to get to. NB you push the micro sd card in to release it, but as it's flush with the camera casing, it's difficult to push it in any further as it's so small. However I found it's a lot easier to remove by using the clip on an old biro pen cap (pictured below).
DSCN1437.JPG

Feel free to ask me any questions about this installation.

@jokiin @niko . I'm after a bit of advice.

I removed my SG9665GC V3 during the week to fit black vinyl to the inside of the windscreen, behind the rear view mirror, so as to only have the camera lens visible below.

Upon refitting I am now finding that the date keeps resetting to 01/01/2016 and the time to 00:00:00. The time and date does set itself correctly after a few minutes, when the camera obtains a GPS signal.

When turning off the car for a few minutes and then back on, the date and time are correct (however the GPS symbol is green immediately). So don't know if is retaining the info or receiving an immediate update from the GPS.

When the car is stopped for over an hour the date and time info is lost, until the GPS can get an update.

The camera is fed through an ignition circuit.

I have tried (in order):
  • Turning on the power to the camera
  • Formatting the memory card in the camera
  • Pressing the reset button on the side
  • Using the default setting on the menu
  • Reformatting the memory card in the camera again

The camera is still recording fine and certainly didn't have this issue prior to removal and refitting.

The camera is on it's original firmware, I haven't tried reinstalling or updating it. Should I try reinstalling the firmware, in case its corrupted?

Would it be worthwhile charging it up indoors using a 5V adaptor for 24 hours?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Give it a run for 24 hours and see if you still have the same issue, that may sort it out but if there's still an issue with it we'll arrange replacement for you

Give it a run for 24 hours and see if you still have the same issue, that may sort it out but if there's still an issue with it we'll arrange replacement for you
Thanks for your quick reply. I will be in touch to let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your quick reply. I will be in touch to let you know how I get on.

no problem, it does take 48 hours to fully charge the RTC cell if flat but 24 hours should give you an indication if it's ok or not, if there's an issue we'll arrange replacement of the camera for you, @niko will take care of that if needed

@jokiin @niko . I'm after a bit of advice.

I removed my SG9665GC V3 during the week to fit black vinyl to the inside of the windscreen, behind the rear view mirror, so as to only have the camera lens visible below.

Upon refitting I am now finding that the date keeps resetting to 01/01/2016 and the time to 00:00:00. The time and date does set itself correctly after a few minutes, when the camera obtains a GPS signal.

When turning off the car for a few minutes and then back on, the date and time are correct (however the GPS symbol is green immediately). So don't know if is retaining the info or receiving an immediate update from the GPS.

When the car is stopped for over an hour the date and time info is lost, until the GPS can get an update.

The camera is fed through an ignition circuit.

I have tried (in order):
  • Turning on the power to the camera
  • Formatting the memory card in the camera
  • Pressing the reset button on the side
  • Using the default setting on the menu
  • Reformatting the memory card in the camera again

The camera is still recording fine and certainly didn't have this issue prior to removal and refitting.

The camera is on it's original firmware, I haven't tried reinstalling or updating it. Should I try reinstalling the firmware, in case its corrupted?

Would it be worthwhile charging it up indoors using a 5V adaptor for 24 hours?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Please dont use usb output power from PC/laptop.

Please dont use usb output power from PC/laptop.
Hi Niko

I'd seen it mentioned on this forum before not to power the dash cam from computer USB ports. I used a mains to 5v USB adaptor.

I left the camera on charge for over 12 hours, with the date and time set. I checked the date and time were OK before I removed the power supply. I tried connecting the power supply back after 20 min and found that the camera had lost it's date and time settings again.

Afraid it seems like it will need to be replaced.

Please feel free to PM or email me about this.

Thanks and Regards

Hi Niko

I'd seen it mentioned on this forum before not to power the dash cam from computer USB ports. I used a mains to 5v USB adaptor.

I left the camera on charge for over 12 hours, with the date and time set. I checked the date and time were OK before I removed the power supply. I tried connecting the power supply back after 20 min and found that the camera had lost it's date and time settings again.

Afraid it seems like it will need to be replaced.

Please feel free to PM or email me about this.

Thanks and Regards

PM sent.
No worries, I am going to look after you.

Hi just thought I'd supply a quick update.

Niko contacted me straight away. He said he'd try a new SG9665GC V3 in his car for a few days (to make sure it was ok) and then post it out to me. He also didn't want me driving without a dash cam, so said only to return the old one, when I received the new one and verified it was ok.

He's been most responsive to any queries I've had.

He posted the replacement on the 14th. From the tracking info it's now with Royal Mail in the UK. So I'll get it shortly.

I'm most impressed with the way I've been treated.

Unfortunately for SG teams, we slowly begin to take this as granted.... Yes, I AM ashamed.
I didn't even react when I understood Niko sent me a replacement GPS receiver, along with other things, and it was not charged. Thanks, somewhat late...

Although I made it clear I broke it when I wanted to remove it (hey 3M: your VHB sh*t is very heavily bonding).

Another update.

Received the replacement SG9665GC V3 from @niko on Tuesday (20th). Have had it in my car for a few days and it seems fine now.

Will post the faulty one back today (Saturday).

Many thanks for your excellent service.

Regards

Another update.

Received the replacement SG9665GC V3 from @niko on Tuesday (20th). Have had it in my car for a few days and it seems fine now.

Will post the faulty one back today (Saturday).

Many thanks for your excellent service.

Regards

Thank you for your co-operation and being patient.
If you need any further assistance, feel free to e-mail me.

Last edited:
Back