Pulsing audio issue with GPS mount

Troot

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've had this issue with a constant repeating pulsing sound on my A119 dashcam audio and I was wondering if anyone has been experiencing the same thing. I have both an A119 and an A119S and the issue is present with both of them.

Here are the conditions for the pulsing sound to occur:
- The GPS mount must be attached
- The speakers must NOT have played any sounds since the camera powered on. As long as startup sounds are off and no beeps have been played due to button presses, the pulsing occurs. The pulsing stops as soon as a sound is played.

Other observations:
- The pulsing stops as soon as a sound is played and remains so until the camera is powered off. If startup sounds are on, no pulsing sounds occur.
- GPS setting can be on or off, pulsing occurs anyway
- Power cable can be plugged in either location, pulsing occurs anyway as long as GPS module is attached

I would much prefer to have all sounds off. The only current option to circumvent the pulsing issue is to have the startup sound enabled, and I'm not a big fan of the little tune.

I'm fairly certain it's a widespread issue. I've seen a couple other posts/videos about it and their issue is identical. Perhaps most people leave the startup sound on and don't experience it at all.

I submitted this to a Viofo support ticket and unfortunately they don't understand English very well, asking me questions I already answered in the original ticket. They even sent me a replacement GPS mount which didn't help. Surely this could be solved with a firmware fix?

Here's my video demonstrating the issue.

Is this a V1 or V2 camera?

Not quite sure. It was this A119 purchased from SpyTec on Amazon. However as I said it also happens with my A119S so I'm inclined to believe it's a shared firmware/hardware issue that happens regardless of model. Not certain though.

Just wondering if you are using the same USB to 12V power adaptor.

Just wondering if you are using the same USB to 12V power adaptor.
It's hardwired with spytec's kit. However I've tried it plugged into a battery bank and my PC and it has no effect

I think Spytec is still selling the V1. GPS is different, so I wonder if anyone with a V2 has noticed this issue.

Maybe a V1 issue. Anyone that bought a V1 from OCD Tronic and is having issues can contact us for a free V2 replacement. (not sure about other sellers)

EDIT, after listening it's very subtle, sounds like writing to the card/power noises. (hard to say)

Last edited:
@Troot, I've played your video several times, listened to it with both headphones and the computer's sound system, and I can't hear any pulsing noises.

@Troot, I've played your video several times, listened to it with both headphones and the computer's sound system, and I can't hear any pulsing noises.
Eh, I can very clearly hear a pulsing noise that continues until the beep plays (at least on the ones where no sounds played previously). It sounds very similar to crickets chirping.

Eh, I can very clearly hear a pulsing noise that continues until the beep plays (at least on the ones where no sounds played previously). It sounds very similar to crickets chirping.

I can barely hear it had to turn speaker volume way up.

If it can't be heard at normal volumes why is it a problem? I'm extremely picky regarding the dashcam's audio quality and I don't hear anything wrong with your camera's audio at normal levels.

If it can't be heard at normal volumes why is it a problem? I'm extremely picky regarding the dashcam's audio quality and I don't hear anything wrong with your camera's audio at normal levels.

recording studios are expensive, how are you going to cut your next record with that kind of noise floor :p

Troot

It is treated by moving the speaker from the card reader to the case wall.

IMG_20170505_174507.jpg 14-24-12-downloadfile.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's fairly audible but I'm using IEMs. I've noticed mine making this noise as well. I just have the startup sound turned on which doesn't bother me so much as both of mine are running 24/7 anyway.

Looks like gse has a hardware workaround there though - moving the speaker away from the SD card slot.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F A119 8