Huge Forest Fire Killed An Unknown Number Of People (Portugal, June 17th)

The total number of casualties ended up being 64 dead (among them was 1 firefighter) and more than 150 injured. The EN236 road alone took 47 of those 64 lives. :cry:

A week has passed and little by little the stories of the people who survived are starting to surface:

Today I found out that the driver of the Smart car you see completely burned on the picture on post #8, actually survived. He was being followed by his brother-in-law, who was also trying to escape the fire, along with several other drivers. At one point the smoke became more and more intense and all of a sudden every car in front of them started stopping all over the road. The driver of the Smart also stopped and jumped out of his car and into his brother-in-law's Mercedes, who was very surprised but didn't have time to think about it because the flames were approaching rapidly and the air was unbreathable. The Mercedes driver said to his brother-in-law "I don't know if we're going to make it but one thing I know: I'm not staying here!". He managed to slalom between the stopped cars just barely and drove through the smoke until he reached the bridge over the IC8 freeway, where it was clearer. They stopped to see if any of the other drivers had followed them but no one came. :(
When they reached safety the Mercedes driver asked his brother-in-law what happened to his car, did he have a problem or something, and the brother-in-law said: "I thought we were going to die and I wanted us to be together if that happened."

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Street Guardian USA Off Topic 4
Back