RAW

M.T.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Please, please someone tell me the option to change the photo format to RAW is just hidden in the menu somewhere.

I researched this cam for a week...Advertisments, people in forums, specs, led me to believe there was a RAW image format setting on it.

That was the whole reason i settled on this one instead of one of the previous versions.

I could have gotten the sj6 or sj5 elite and gotten RAW and saved a bundle of money.

Instead, i ended up paying more for less and having blurry, pixely, unpost-workable JPG

It doesnt do long exposure timelapse either.

WTF?

Its the newest sjcam and it cant do raw, it cant do long exposure timelapse, yet it costs the most???

I cant seem to sign up on sjacam forums...these are the only forums that i could find that talks about these cams. Could i get some help? Maybe someone here knows someone at sjcam forums?

please?

I looked at this post last night and wondered whether you'd got sorted, I don't know this cam so couldn't comment but i'll try some google searches.

If the packaging states features that it doesn't have, return it

No...nothings worked out. I keep discovering more and more features that previous models have and sj7 doesnt.

And the RAW was stated by several advertisements and people in different forums to be available.

And one would assume that if a cam from several years ago can do long exposure time lapse, then the new flagship cam should be able to do long exposure time lapse.

And I can't return it because I slightly damaged the battery cover trying to get it off after the damn thing locked up and became unresponsive.

It'll just sit a drawer of forgotten devices now. Already have cams for daylight. My Sony as100v is used as a dash cam, so I dont need it for that.

4k is just a fad. Only 1% of the population has a 4k viewing device. so big whoop about the sj7 having "true" 4k.

I wanted that RAW and long exposure time lapse.

Found a post from these forums....

So now they're saying they used cheaper, lesser hardware that limits features and doesn't have enough space....but they're still blowing their own horn about "native 4k".

How about they erase the 4k crap and put the useful options back.

Attachments

• tmp_25293-Screenshot_2017-06-25-10-19-41839489708.png
    tmp_25293-Screenshot_2017-06-25-10-19-41839489708.png
    394.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
And here's one of there adverts I read while researching whether to buy a sj7...it clearly states RAW as a feature.

Attachments

• tmp_25293-Screenshot_2017-06-25-10-15-15333988454.png
    tmp_25293-Screenshot_2017-06-25-10-15-15333988454.png
    469.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hello Guys, we are waiting for RAW support from Ambarella. This feature should be able to be added in the near future. Thanks for your patience.

It doesnt do long exposure timelapse either.

WTF?

Its the newest sjcam and it cant do raw, it cant do long exposure timelapse, yet it costs the most???

I cant seem to sign up on sjacam forums...these are the only forums that i could find that talks about these cams. Could i get some help? Maybe someone here knows someone at sjcam forums?

please?

Swipe upwards on the screen when in video mode to choose video lapse. There is a detailed English manual here: SJ7 v1.15

The new SJCAM Forum is actually the SJCAM Community. Feel free to post there as well.

Swipe upwards on the screen when in video mode to choose video lapse. There is a detailed English manual here: SJ7 v1.15

The new SJCAM Forum is actually the SJCAM Community. Feel free to post there as well.
Yes...I know it has the the video lapse. But it can't do LONG EXPOSURE with either video lapse or photolapse modes. I'm talking 30 or 60 second shutter speed timelapse exposures.

Example: I set the interval to 5 seconds.
I set the exposure time to 30 seconds.
So then it's suppose to take a 30 second photo, wait 5 seconds, then take another 30 second photo, etc, etc.

But it doesn't do that. It takes a quick snap then waits the interval time then another quick snap, etc, etc.

It needs to keep that shutter open for the whole 30 seconds at night.

It can do long exposure photo burst for some reason.
Photo burst is for 3, 5, or 10 quick photos to freeze fast moving action....but I can set the exposure time to 60 seconds and get 3, 5, or 10, sixty second photos.

But that can't be done in photolapse or videolapse...where it's needed for lowlight or night timelapse.
And you need RAW format for editing and noise purposes. Jpg just can't cut it in the lowlight/nighttime area.

Last edited:
The sj6, sj5, sjm20 can all do these things....in addition to the Yi4k that also uses Ambarella.
And they all have RAW....including the Yi with its Ambarella.

I've requested a return from amazon and boxed it up for return tomorrow..........but if you tell me, and be truthful, that the sj7 WILL have RAW and LONG EXPOSURE video lapse and photo lapse............. then I'll press the cancel return button.

And I can't sign up on those sjcam forums...it won't send a confirmation email to me. I even made a new email and tried to sign up again and it won't send a confirmation to that email either.

And I can't sign up on those sjcam forums...it won't send a confirmation email to me. I even made a new email and tried to sign up again and it won't send a confirmation to that email either.

Check you spam folder, the confirmation email might be in there.

As for RAW photos on the SJ7, @Bezbod, has proven that the SJ7 chip set is capable of RAW photos but the firmware developers over at SJCAM have to integrate it into the firmware.

If the 4k Video or 120fps in 1080P doesn't mater to you, you might be better off returning it and getting one of their other cameras that supports raw photos.

Most of their other cameras have a novatek chip set, which isn't capable of 4k video like the new Amberella ones but seems like it's taking them a lot longer to perfect the firmware and get more out of the hardware. I've bought my SJ7 in January and after 6 months the firmware has come a long way but there are still room for improvement.

Not in spam folders....Ok, what about the long exposure timelapse? All that can be done now is daytime timelapse because it wont use the 30-60 second shutter speed i input.

Not in spam folders....Ok, what about the long exposure timelapse? All that can be done now is daytime timelapse because it wont use the 30-60 second shutter speed i input.

The only way I was able to take long exposure time lapse photos is by setting the time lapse photo time to 60 seconds with a 30 second shutter time. I tried doing a shorter time lapse interval like less than 30 seconds (like 3 seconds) and it seems to freeze. As if it's trying to take pictures every 3 seconds but still has the shutter exposure at 30 seconds. These are all things that I am hoping they fix in future FW updates but who knows how long it will be.

I believe the camera is a good piece of hardware at a great price, but they've still got some polishing to do when it comes to the firmware, but they are good about listening to their customers which is great!

The only way I was able to take long exposure time lapse photos is by setting the time lapse photo time to 60 seconds with a 30 second shutter time. I tried doing a shorter time lapse interval like less than 30 seconds (like 3 seconds) and it seems to freeze. As if it's trying to take pictures every 3 seconds but still has the shutter exposure at 30 seconds. These are all things that I am hoping they fix in future FW updates but who knows how long it will be.

I believe the camera is a good piece of hardware at a great price, but they've still got some polishing to do when it comes to the firmware, but they are good about listening to their customers which is great!
Hmm...ok, thank you for your replies.

Just signed up on the forums ( kamkar ) worked fine, at least the signing up part i have not yet posted anything there.

I just tried again and it came through.

Back