Road rage in CA.

My main point here is that there was no mention of the driver's errors and of the gravity of them, only a call to find the biker as if that was the big problem here

That isn't true. Unless something has changed, both the OP here and the youtube title are completely accurate. The first response here condemned the driver. The youtube comments are mostly condemning the driver.

Perhaps you are misinterpreting the video title. It says road rage was the cause, it doesn't say it was (just) the biker's road rage.

However it is a fact that this crash simply would not have happened if not for the biker's road rage initiating or escalating the chain of events.

He was a direct contributor to a crash that caused an innocent party to roll over, and he evaded the scene. I certainly hope he is caught and punished and a message sent that behaving that way will not be tolerated.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

it's pretty black and white to be honest, the guy didn't lose control of his car because of the kick, he lost control of his car because of a deliberate swerve towards the biker, and took out the innocent person in the process

If someone makes you angry enough to actually aim 2 tonnes of metal at them (as opposed to just "wanting to") then you need to speak to someone to learn how to control your anger.

There are many times someone's made me "want to" drive my car over someone's face, but you MUST learn to take a deep breath and get yourself away from the situation, otherwise, you're deadly/dangerous, and shouldn't be on the road.

Better yet, people who START these confrontations need to take a deep breath and get away from the situation. Or those people shouldn't be on the road either.

And IMO the person who first DELIBERATELY performs an act of hostility is the one to blame for the event as a whole. No event start, no event.

Human nature is what it is. Once something starts it is likely to escalate to at least some degree before sense kicks in. If you initiate that, you are responsible.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Stupid people do stupid things ! ( Plenty of stupid to go around )

Here is a summary from the CBS story on this someone in Reddit posted:
  • Driver of the truck that got flipped was 75 years old, appears to be OK now
  • Driver of the car was a 19-year old. Kid's father says the kid freaked when the motorcyclist flashed something that looked like a knife (honestly, it could be what he's doing at the very start of the video).
  • Passenger started recording on his cell phone when the motorcycle passed him between lanes
  • Motorcycle left the scene and is wanted by the police.
The CBS story can be found at
CBS: Road-Rage Crash Injures Innocent Motorist In Pickup

It's funny how people make ridiculous explanation to their actions afterwards, especially if they don't have any rational reason to their actions.

[*]Driver of the car was a 19-year old. Kid's father says the kid freaked when the motorcyclist flashed something that looked like a knife (honestly, it could be what he's doing at the very start of the video)

This is how liars try to justify their actions

Since some one had the phone camera out this might have gone on for a while before this happen, and yeah it do look like the car is being used as a weapon, at least swerving like that to me are not a normal reaction pattern to a thump.
And the biker "was not" brandishing any larger weapon or anything so not really a reason for fearing bodily harm as the driver of the car.

I dont hope the car driver catch all the flack in this case, cuz i am pretty sure the biker have been pretty confrontational too going up against a car at speed.
It is to me like bringing a knife to a gun fight, so had i been the biker i just backed off what might have been a stupid car driver, cuz as we can see its pure luck the biker dident get creamed here.

Would the calculus change any if it was determined the MC driver waived a gun at the driver of the car prior to the video clip starting? Not saying it did, but we're all assuming the only threat the MC driver presented was a kick to the car - which clearly doesn't justify the ramming by the car. Just saying, there's always two sides to a story, and I reserve judgement until all the facts are in.

Would the calculus change any if it was determined the MC driver waived a gun at the driver of the car prior to the video clip starting? Not saying it did, but we're all assuming the only threat the MC driver presented was a kick to the car - which clearly doesn't justify the ramming by the car. Just saying, there's always two sides to a story, and I reserve judgement until all the facts are in.

IMHO yes- a gun is potentially lethal to someone in a moving car so then there could have been justification for taking drastic action to mitigate that threat. A kick to a fender or perhaps even a knife flashed at someone in a moving car does not reach the same threat level. My prior comments were based not only on the linked vid (which is now on several YT car crash channels) but also on an initial news report which stated that the CHP was seeking the biker but which made no mention of the actions of the car driver as if they had done nothing wrong.

And my perspective comes from both sides- being on the road on 2 wheels is an entirely different thing than driving. On a bike there are no minor crashes or fender-benders; every crash even at low speeds can easily kill you or worse. It can be most excellent training on how to operate a vehicle safely and how to spot and avoid problems- that is what it did for me- but not everyone does it that way. Had I been that biker, whatever happened before that vid began would have been enough warning for me to put distance between me and that car. Best to let fools do their deeds away from you when it is a fight you cannot win, and even if you're equal to them it's still smarter to avoid known trouble when you can.

What happened here is what you get when stupid or careless meets stupid or careless, and the end result is that an innocent person needlessly suffered because of that :(
Phil

How much damage can the biker do with his foot, realistically? A dent?
I'm surprised he stayed upright.
45 years ago I was screwing around in traffic while riding a 250 dirt bike. My drunk older brother was alongside of me, driving an ancient rambler. We were both somewhat drunk. He would pretend to try to run into me, I'd kick at his door with my foot. Stupid, yes.
This went on for a mile or so in daytime, on somewhat busy streets, until he turned off on a side street to go home, and for some reason I stopped at the gas station on the corner to do something...make a phone call, buy cigarettes...I forget.
Before I got off the bike a cop roared in behind me'
'Hey buddy, I saw what that XXXhole was trying to do to you! You wait right here and I'll bring him back!' (and he was gone in the direction my brother went.)

My brother had a garage apartment ten blocks down that street, and parked out of sight behind the house. Chances were good he was safely out of sight by the time the cop roared down the street. (he was)

I got the heck out of there, and called my brother later and asked if anything unusual happened when he got home, he was clueless, so I told him what happened.
:)

The biker in this video knew he was involved in an accident. I would have parked a little distance away, and waited. Maybe he has warrants, something on him he doesn't want to be caught with, no motorcycle endorsement....something.

So what I learned after looking at the video
  • If anyone says they don't need a dash cam, because they have passenger with a cell phone which is always unlocked... well they may loose precious seconds before they can get to the camera app.
  • I am not exacerbating the situation if someone is miffed with my driving or Vice versa.
  • If I see road range in front of me, I am keeping my distance.
  • If a car looses control like the Nissan, I am slowing if its in front, or accelerating if its to the side. I am not driving into its line of fire.

Back