A119 Mount Adhesive Fail

Gib

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good day,

I am having issues with the A119 mount adhesive to the windshield. I was using a 3m dual lock Velcro solution as a temp mount to the bottom of my mirror and that adhesive failed on the camera. Then I used the provided non gps A119 mount and applied it to my windshield on Sunday. I mounted it on the black stippling and it held great until I parked my car in the sun at work. It was only about 80 deg yesterday. I came back to find my camera dangling.

Anyone else have this issue??

How's is the new suction mount?

Thanks.

Spy Tec via Amazon

Here in the UK we recently had an unusually warm spell and I had a couple of unbranded 3M mounts fall off when the car hit a bump.
I've also had lots of 3M cable clips fall off.
All the mounts and clips that have fallen off are relatively new (several months) whereas older mounts remain solidly anchored. It's as if 3M had a quality issue within the last year or have changed something about the tape.

Interesting!! So typically if the A119 is mounted on the windshield stippling (Frit) it should be ok? I figured that stippling reduces the contact area and thus that is why it fell off. I will contact Spy Tec.

Has anyone tried the new suction mount??

Thanks!

Interesting!! So typically if the A119 is mounted on the windshield stippling (Frit) it should be ok? I figured that stippling reduces the contact area and thus that is why it fell off. I will contact Spy Tec.

Has anyone tried the new suction mount??

Thanks!
As @jokiin pointed out the frit is not an issue with the adhesive. If you use a suction mount in that area your results will be less than satisfactory.

Car windshields build up a greasy film of plasticisers from interior materials, even when they look clean. One thing that really helps with 3M tape is cleaning the glass with isopropanol before you apply it. Then glue the mount in place. Then leave it 24hrs before using the mount or stressing the adhesive, so it gets a chance to bond.

I've Cardo Scala intercoms on a pair of bike crash helmets, and also a Sena Prism camera, both attached by 3M. They aren't ever coming off. The Scalas have taken years of knocks and beatings including rain and heat, and never shifted. Scala supply an isopropanol wet wipe and say it's essential to use it. It has worked, and I do the same with all 3M-attached stuff now. Nothing has dropped off since. No sign of the A119S or cable clips falling off the frit on my car, either - they're stuck like sh*t to a blanket.

One of my a119 unglued from a smooth windshield a month earlier. I pushed it back on and it is staying on. I cleaned the windshield with alcohol before applying the mount in the first place. It must have be the bad batch of 3M sticker.

The second a119 has no issue staying on the frit surface.

Now I press on the a119s every time I get into the cars to ensure that they are staying on.

Cleaning with isopropyl alcohol or isopropanol is the way to go. Been there, done that. It doesn't leave any residue when dried. Don't use ethanol, I have read somewhere. I bought mine in a spray bottle from an electronics shop. In my country it's difficult to get at a drugstore, but a farmacy may provide you too.

I've been using toll pass mounting strips without fail. Cheap alternative to the 3m adhesive failing. I have also used the suction cup mounts, but they would fall off every couple of weeks. Here's a link to the strips I use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/B002DZJQ0A
These are my current mounts in Texas heat.

Back