A119 Keeps Restarting

Matt1337

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I have the A119 with the GPS module connected using the USB cable that came with the product to power the device. The past couple of weeks, temperatures have been around 85-95 degrees Fahrenheit and the A119 constantly restarts. I am assuming the outside temperature overheats this dash cam because when it is less than 80 degrees, the restarting doesn't happen. Does anyone have any suggestions for my problem? Thanks!

Do you have a V1 or V2? is the GPS fit loose? try plunging in the side and not in the GPS module.

Same suggestion, keep the power plugged into the side of the camera rather than through the GPS pass through mount. GPS will still function this way too by the way.

Same suggestion, keep the power plugged into the side of the camera rather than through the GPS pass through mount. GPS will still function this way too by the way.

That does nothing to address the temperature issue. The camera is supposed to work at 150 degree F. What good is a capacitor if it won't work above 85 degrees?

The caps are rated at 85c not 85f, they suggested powering via the camera as it's a common cause of the problem you have, unrelated to the temperature

That does nothing to address the temperature issue. The camera is supposed to work at 150 degree F. What good is a capacitor if it won't work above 85 degrees?

what makes you think its a temp issue at this point? we are only tying to find the problem... so did you plug it in the side? does it stay up if you do?

Hello everyone, thanks for responding! Plugging the power cord to the side of the Dash Cam works instead of powering it to the GPS. I also have V1.1 to answer someone's question.

Now, is my GPS defective?

Hello everyone, thanks for responding! Plugging the power cord to the side of the Dash Cam works instead of powering it to the GPS. I also have V1.1 to answer someone's question.

The GPS is probably fine. The issue only seems to affect power to the camera.

Sounds like an electrical connection issue.

The temperature may be causing stuff to expand and move. The usb connection may be loose and subject to expansion. The mating of the GPS and dashcam may be loose. I've had inexpensive cables that flexing and temperature expansion/contraction created intermittent loss of continuity.

If the problem is simple, it will still need correction after solving a suspected expensive one.

what makes you think its a temp issue at this point? we are only tying to find the problem... so did you plug it in the side? does it stay up if you do?

Um, the op says it doesn't do it below 80 degrees but does it at 85 - 95 degrees. Smh.

yes, i have had this problem with it always restarting and i traced it to an overheating problem. I live in the tropics and when this happened the car had been in direct sunlight for a while and was always restarting. When i touched it I realized it was very hot. I normally don't have this problem and i have the sunshade up and windows down which keeps the car close to ambient temps. The day i had the problem i hadn't put up any sunshade or anything. haven't had the restarting problem since - and i power it through the gps. Now, having said that there are times when i do notice the dashcam gets very hot to the touch - but not hot enough to cause the restarts. perhaps i will try powering through the camera instead of the gps to see if that makes a difference. Did anyone get confirmation that powering it that way also powers the gps?

they fixed that on version 2 just for anyone else reading this

Okay, I have been running the camera by connecting power to the camera and not the gps. It seemed to work for a while but then one day I touched the screen and realized it was very hot as before. Don't know why this should be. Also I turned off the sdcard format notification but it keeps popping up every 3-4 weeks. Is there any way to stop this behaviour?

Thanks

Okay, I have been running the camera by connecting power to the camera and not the gps. It seemed to work for a while but then one day I touched the screen and realized it was very hot as before. Don't know why this should be. Also I turned off the sdcard format notification but it keeps popping up every 3-4 weeks. Is there any way to stop this behaviour?
Thanks
Use screensaver to turn OFF the LCD to help with cooling.

I already have the screen saver operational - it could turn off sooner perhaps. But that time I touched the screen - it had been screen saver mode for about 15- 20 minutes already.

I already have the screen saver operational - it could turn off sooner perhaps. But that time I touched the screen - it had been screen saver mode for about 15- 20 minutes already.
Usually it's a power issue that causes the A119 to cycle power, particularly if your LCD screen flickers. Maybe overheat would do it too, not sure. But my A119 gets pretty hot at times too, but just keeps going. High temps here 95-105F now with lots of sun. I try to avoid leaving camera in direct sun when parked, operating or not. One other less desirable thing you could do is to operate at a lower resolution/frame rate, for example 1080P30fps vs 1080P60fps - the A119 consumes a little less power. Problem might also be related to your microSD card.

Unfortunately I got a few of these restarts during latest days. Numerous, approx 1 restart per five minutes.

My setup is a A119 "v1" and the associated GPS mount.

I had the impression that it helped to simply dismount and mount the cam again, reduces restart frequency to the point of feeling the problem was fixed for good.. but not.

I ordered a foam 0.5 mm insert, maybe that helps we'll see.

I bought the cam from a chinese dealer so it is not an attractive option to attempt to ship back for replacement. Better to buy another one for the shipping costs...

Power supply and cables seem to be ok, this has something to do with vibrations in the mount combined with less than optimal contact from the GPS mount's pins to the camera. Powering the A119 directly through its side port is not a good option in my case, there is no place as it is presently mounted. Of course I can dismount the GPS mount and reposition it to make this possible but I rather avoid it. I actually want the setup exactly like this, power connected to the GPS module and easy mechanical snap off/on for the camera unit.

Today I'm testing a solution strategy based on increasing the likelihood of a good contact between the springed pins in the GPS mount and the A119 unit. Turned out the springed pins in the GPS unit was slightly "sluggish" and bonding a bit to the plastic in the mount. So I'm now testing if it can be made better by agents such as CRC Oxide Clean. Gave both the springy pins and the contact areas a good treatment and yes, the springy pins feels a lot more springy and free now! Actually the same treatment I gave a Samsung cell phone that developed sticky buttons, very close tolerances and there can be no oxides in the way.

I'll test this for a week, also trying other similar agents for the purpose and report back. If this turns out to be a successful treatment it would be an extremely easy and very cheap way to deal with this problem of intermittent restarts due to poor contact GpS mount to A119 unit. Yes, I saw the advice on the eraser rubber but this would be so much easier!

Last edited:
Powering the A119 directly off the side of the camera is the best option for V1 customers if you bought from a seller that won't exchange for V2.

Back