Night Shooting Hot Pixels?

mealto

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Not sure I am seeing hot pixels or just reflection but in night videos, I see a few globs of white pixels on the video. The same area shows no issues in day time. Anyone else see this? Also, did I see a fix for trying to remove hot pixels through calibration or something on the A119 V2?

Hi mealto, may I suggest you to upgrade the firmware of your dashcam?

I just installed the mine one today and, after the first tests, decided to upgrade to latest version (1.7 for my A119S) and the vast majority of hot pixels went away. If you have the A119, check the Viofo firmware page and follow carefully the instructions.

Before upgrade:
hot_pixels_01.jpg

After upgrade:
hot_pixels_02.jpg

Hi mealto, may I suggest you to upgrade the firmware of your dashcam?

I just installed the mine one today and, after the first tests, decided to upgrade to latest version (1.7 for my A119S) and the vast majority of hot pixels went away. If you have the A119, check the Viofo firmware page and follow carefully the instructions.

Before upgrade:
View attachment 32063

After upgrade:
View attachment 32064

Thanks for the heads up. I am actually running the latest FW already. My hot spots were not like yours. Yours were small pixels. I have 2 spots and both are considerably larger in size. Odd and a little disappointing.

...Yours were small pixels. I have 2 spots and both are considerably larger in size. Odd and a little disappointing.
That sounds very unusual. Can you post an example?... it may help to diagnose the issue.

On my new purchased camera Viofo A119C V2 from Banggood with the original firmware 2.06 I had 4 BIG hot pixels,I upgraded the firmware to 3.1,the latest,suppose to be the best and guess what?In addition of a oversaturated and grainy image with faded colors ,I got tens of hot pixels spread everywhere on the image like the stars on the summer clear night sky.I see I am not the only one with this issue.I think VIOFO must take note about it and do something,because it seems to be a manufacture/component/firmware issue.
I put an image of completly dark surface.If you zoom the image,you can see a number of hot pixels clear,but on the real footage,it has at least another bright 20-30 spots.
4 of them are bright even in daylight.VERY disturbing.

Attachments

• 2017_0805_182256_005.JPG
    2017_0805_182256_005.JPG
    89.5 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I can see two slightly hot pixels in your video and then I really have to look closely in a dark room while moving the window around.

Never found a reason to do similar tests with my cam, maybe it is better or worse who knows. However I don't care very much to be honest - and I hope you are taking my comment the right way, not meant to be disrespectful at all.

The way I see it, the purpose of specialized cams like this is very different from that of, say, a DSLR or a digital movie camera. The purpose of a dashcam is to record what is happening in the field of view in sufficient detail to determine causes of accidents, record license plates and other significant identifiers. They were never meant to have pixel by pixel accuracy, they have much more relevant qualities by which they should be judged for the intended use.

On my new purchased camera Viofo A119C V2 from Banggood

I'm not aware of the VIOFO A119C with a "C" in the name. (is this what Banggood is calling it?) There is only the A119 (with/without GPS) and A119S (with/without GPS)

They have an A118C / A118C2, but there is no A119C. (sounds like a page listing error)

I can see two slightly hot pixels in your video and then I really have to look closely in a dark room while moving the window around.
You must watch the video on a screen at least 46 inch.I will post a clip with in town movie,but today I could not make it because I had no time.
On the TV looks not so good...
Why is the other camera without this issue?

It is called A119C to distinguish it from old camera with battery.
It is a VIOFO A119 V2

The A119 never had a battery that I'm aware of. (was designed with a capacitor) The older A118 had a battery version and was then renamed A118C

You must watch the video on a screen at least 46 inch....
I just watched it on a 49" screen and see only 2 hot pixels - and a bit of what looks like white dust on whatever the purple thing is you're shooting.

If the auto calibration isn't working well enough you should ask your seller to exchange it for a new one under warranty. If you bought it from OCD Tronic it would be no problem.
Our customers that hot pixel issues are thrilled the new firmware fixed it. Sorry it didn't work on yours 100% for unknown reasons. (very subtle though)

and a bit of what looks like white dust on whatever the purple thing is you're shooting.
You noticed well,THIS is the most disturbing thing.This lets say dust becomes very bright when various lights are on the street.
And the really hot pixels are 4,they are really big after the sensor warms up end they can be seen also on daylight footage.
I just received a second camera from Banggood 3 hours ago,just tested directly and surprise:NO hot pixels or anything.Pitch black colour on covered lens.Just in one spot if you look VERY careful you see a kind of 2 little dots that are not so dark,but not bright white.
So concluding,the first camera has a sensor issue,it can happen,it happens also to 5000 euro Nikon camera and I can understand the fact that one product can be shipped defective because you can not test EACH of them thoroughly.
Apple is selling with a big smile on the face 3000 dollars onwards s%it with built in known issues...;)
So,I will ask the seller a replacement,which in my case will be a looooong time issue,or ask the manufacturer to send me a new lens-sensor unit to replace it.
That is all.
Thanks community for help and VIOFO for being here and watching.

Back