Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BlackCloud

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
2 x VIOFO A119s v2 (Front) : VIOFO A119 v1 (Rear)
Well its time to add a rear facing camera to my setup.

I have a V1 A119 Which will probably move to the rear and the new one will go up front.

Options are:

Get another A119 but v2 for the front and move the current one to the rear.

Or

Get the A119S v2 for the front and move the current one to the rear.

the rear cam does not necessarily need to have GPS installed as that will be accomplished with the front unit.

thoughts on which route to go?

Thanks

If it was me, I'd get the A119S V2 for front and put your A119 V1 in the rear. Night performance is important for me.

You can't share V1 / V2 GPS mounts they are not compatible. V1 GPS mount only works with V1 A119/A119. V2 GPS mount only works with V2 A119/A119S

I am aware of the mounts not being compatible between v1 and v2. Mainly why the current one would be going to the back. With the gps of v1 being flaky i dont need it for the rear.

it seems to me if you want to stay in the a119 family, night usage is the big question.

Having only recently got a Sony sensor cam, I never knew what I was missing at night. Now with few exceptions will I ever buy a cam without equally good night-time vid quality even though I don't drive a lot at night. It's the difference between seeing almost nothing and seeing enough to be useful without needing to be under strong streetlights.

Phil

Night performance is important for me

If so, wouldn't the A119S be a better choice out of the two as a rear camera?

IMO inconsistent lighting at night demands a better low-light performer for the rear.

If so, wouldn't the A119S be a better choice out of the two as a rear camera?

IMO inconsistent lighting at night demands a better low-light performer for the rear.

That's one way to look at it, but I'd guess 90% or more of the most important videos you'll ever capture will be in front.

Other tid bits of information to factor in the decision making process. My car is a hatchback and the rear window is tinted and not quite vertical. So I doubt I would need the CPL filter. May still need to have the EV boosted a touch. But as OCDtronic mentioned, my more important capture will be from the front.

That's one way to look at it, but I'd guess 90% or more of the most important videos you'll ever capture will be in front.

That's one too. I think here there's more of a chance getting rear ended on an unlit stretch. What then..?

Other tid bits of information to factor in the decision making process. My car is a hatchback and the rear window is tinted and not quite vertical. So I doubt I would need the CPL filter. May still need to have the EV boosted a touch. But as OCDtronic mentioned, my more important capture will be from the front.

With tint in the equation, you'd be better off with the A119S in the rear. The A119 may work well with the EV boosted but it won't come close to what you'll get from the A119S looking out the rear.

Time to sell the A119 on eBay and get two A119S then :)

I like this idea(y), Also gonna need a hellofa lot more views on my youtube channel :giggle: to generate some income to pay for these cams and then the cards and such :sneaky:

If you were wanting better night performance for a rear Cam .. rather than the teeny weeny difference that the Sony and 1080p has .. over the A119 .. 1440p ... how about the one that can handle the brightness of 2 headlights aimed at your lens, better, even with a CPL? I would think the one that can handle being in the Spotlight better .. to read a number plate at night would be more on the money?

The A119 1440p (like the OPIA2) has some sort of colour overlay over the lens that makes the Video darker than the 1080p 's' model .. which would enable it to handle bright lights better .. better clarity to read number plates. This 'overlay (green) on the A119 is more obvious than the (purple) on the OPIA2.

On the other hand - Because the 'S' and 1080p models are lighter .. detail and number plates are more easily read in shaddows and low lit scenes .. both Day and Night.
My instinct tells me that I need a light filter out the rear .. rather than light enhancement.

*I'm no expert .. but this has been my early observation

Last edited:
My experience here is with G1W-x cams. The G1W-HC (AR0330 sensor) saw little and did little better when the car's headlights were reflected back from my shiny beige van giving the cam better illumination. Visible headlight glare was significant and up close I got almost no image of the driver. The G1W-S (Sony UMX 323 sensor) sees much more at all ranges and has less headlight glare when they get close, and you can see some details of the driver and even passengers in back. It seems both the A119 models perform even better than my cheaper cams day and night ;)

There are other good nighttime sensors to be sure, but it seems Sony is taking this market over now. Possibly Sony is cheaper or easier to work with, I dunno, but I do see that trend happening and I like what the results are :D
Phil

I was in the same situation a month ago and opted to get a A119 V2 mainly due to the cheaper price. I was also factoring in the cost of another power bank to power both cams while parked. If budget had allowed, I might've gone down the A119S route for the (supposedly) better low light capabilities. I would've had that camera in the rear as that's usually the end of the car that gets hit (in my case anyway)! Maybe to also try and compensate for the tinted windows in the dark too.

Well I just placed my order for the A119s on Amazon through @OCD Tronic. Even though it said in stock and prime 2 day shipping,
for Some reason I have to wait till July 3rd. :confused:

Well I just placed my order for the A119s on Amazon through @OCD Tronic. Even though it said in stock and prime 2 day shipping,
for Some reason I have to wait till July 3rd. :confused:

More stock is on the way, but there are few left in the system and Amazon is juggling the remaining pieces. Sometimes their automated prime fulfillment system doesn't quite get it right. We have the largest order we've ever placed on the way so hope to keep these in stock this time. Sales are growing faster each month. Thanks for your patience.

More stock is on the way, but there are few left in the system and Amazon is juggling the remaining pieces. Sometimes their automated prime fulfillment system doesn't quite get it right. We have the largest order we've ever placed on the way so hope to keep these in stock this time. Sales are growing faster each month. Thanks for your patience.

Thanks for the info! I'm not in a huge rush:coffee::whistle:. I've gone over 20 years with out a camera at all, I think I can wait a few more days! ;)

Awesome! The Camera just arrived Today!!!:cool::):D

However the EVA foam pads were not in the box. o_O:confused::(

Luckily I had previously ordered a pad separately for my other camera. So I can use the second one from that. ;)
But, I thought I was supposed to have some included with the new camera.

Back