A119, GPS not working

Neuralgia

Reaction score
Country
Costa Rica
Hey, I just bought four (5) 119's from Spytec, though Amazon.com. 2 of them came with GPS, the other 3 without.

I just tested my cameras, and all work the way they should, until I try to use the GPS with them.

NONE of the 4 cameras I tried both GPS units, turn on (Can't try the 5th one, since I gave it as a present already). If i wiggle a bit the cable sometimes, in 1 of the cameras I get the Spytec logo, but then nothing happens.

Is this a known issue? Can I open the GPS unit and try to fix it?

My GPS units do not come with pins, but with a different type of connector. Hard to explain. I'll try to post a video/pictures tonight when I get home. Maybe this can give you guys some more information.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Your cameras are V2's from the description of the mounts.

Seems odd as more than one is behaving erratically while following the same pattern. Are you using the included power supply to power the cameras while testing?

The contact mechanism between the mount and camera has been revised for V2 cameras. Attach the included EVA foam pads to the camera before using them with the GPS mount and see if the issue persists.

Yes Harsh, I'm using everything that came with the unit. Original cables, original usb charger, etc.

I didn't understand this part:
Attach the included EVA foam pads to the camera before using them with the GPS mount and see if the issue persists.

I'll try to power the camera from the side WITH the GPS attached. Didn't try that combination. I though the GPS needed to be powered through it to work.

I'll let you know how it went

Yes Harsh, I'm using everything that came with the unit. Original cables, original usb charger, etc.

I didn't understand this part:

I'll try to power the camera from the side WITH the GPS attached. Didn't try that combination. I though the GPS needed to be powered through it to work.

I'll let you know how it went
GPS will still be powered when powering camera directly.

Do your units have V2 in the serial number?

Well, my camera is NOT a V2.

S/N:A119ST1...

I tried the GPS and saw EXACTLY the same behaviour with both GPS units. It's a specific position that loses power and the A119 dies.

You can see a video of this here:
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=Y0dSR204YXhGWVpKbk9zcGtrcFZSWE1SbE9ZbE1R

(Sorry, didn't know how to emmbed a Google Photos video)

Do you think I can open the GPS Unit and fix whatever is wrong? Specially if it's a known issue.

If not, I guess I'll have to send the GPS unit back to Spytec (are they member's of DashcamTalk?)

PS> What's the difference between a A119 V1 and V2?

Can you get an A119 in Australia that does NOT have GPS? I don't mean Get one WITH GPS and not attach it.

I don't want GPS ... and don't want to pay for it. This makes cents ... yeah?

Back