nextbase 512g freezing

I brought a 402g and within a few months it failed to record at certain intervals, and then some days it would freeze and would not record & as mentioned above I had to let it run until run out of battery life. I sent mine back to NB and they put in a new battery & updated the firmware. All seemed fine, until November 2016 and it gave up the ghost completely. I purchased the 412gw with 64gb Sandisk ultra sd card and it has been flawless
That may be an option if Nextbase would swap it for a different model. Happy with its other features, but no good for my needs if the 512G just locks up. I see Volkswagen group now offer next base cameras at the dealers, can't see a 512G though, wonder if a reason behind that.

I very unfortunately own 5 nextbase cams in the family(It rests on me to buy them!!), persistent issues with every one, most have multiple problems freezing, turning off, turning audio off, changing date & time at random, KILLING BATTERIES over and over and over and over again, all used with nextbase supplied cards, can't even give the things away, nextbase staff VERY helpful but sadly let down by build quality, just can't rely on the cams, a shame as I really liked things about them.

I very unfortunately own 5 nextbase cams in the family(It rests on me to buy them!!), persistent issues with every one, most have multiple problems freezing, turning off, turning audio off, changing date & time at random, KILLING BATTERIES over and over and over and over again, all used with nextbase supplied cards, can't even give the things away, nextbase staff VERY helpful but sadly let down by build quality, just can't rely on the cams, a shame as I really liked things about them.

Same situation here, let down by the cams but the CS is great. I have just about replaced all 10 nextbase cameras and will not be going back to them until the build quality improves. the hardwire kit however for these cameras is about 5 pound and very easy to install.

I also use the möbius action camera (£55) as it has a built in DVRmode, records 1080p, wide angle recording, very reliable and very discreet about the size of a tic tac box and cost the fraction of a high quality dash cam.

I also use the möbius action camera (£55) as it has a built in DVRmode, records 1080p, wide angle recording, very reliable and very discreet about the size of a tic tac box and cost the fraction of a high quality dash cam.
Glad it suits your needs, it wasn't what I wanted though I did look at that one

Ok fair enough, it is good though as it can hold up to an 128gb sd card for loop recording mode

After I tried to get the largest sd card my friends daughter said "WHY do you need hours and hours of footage facility surely with it locking events via manual recording, or G sensor in accident any extra isn't needed, are you really going to want to spend hours viewing the scenery you've already seen, or surely an hour is way more than enough!!

I like to buy a bigger capacity sd card as I'm mainly driving a lot in my job and wouldn't have much to chance to stop to look over footage over the day and I like to know by the time I get home if I wanted to watch back any footage then it would still be stored on the sd card as it would have more than 4 hours (32gb typically) rather than having 64/128gb sd card

On our new models (212 Lite, 312GW, 412GW, 512GW and the DUO) you can use cards up to 128Gb.

I will probably purchase a 128gb sd sometime soon, not sure what brand is best though? Sandisk ultra class 10 or Samsung evo class 10

I've always used San disk sd cards in my nextbase dash cams and have never had a issue, so when I find a reasonable price for a 128gb sd card I will purchase one

How bizzare, purchased my NextBase 512G February this year and the display has also started to freeze/lock up. At first I thought it was a one off but then it would happen again and again? At first I used to unplug the power cord in order to let the internal battery run down (hard wired) and then I was able to turn it back on? On other occasions, I've had to do a reset but after doing this, the time always go's back one hour which is a bit annoying? Today, my 512G screen locked up at 00.00.14, 13:10:44? I'm using a SanDisk Ultra microSDHC 32GB speed up to 80MB/s but have tried other cards, also format the card within the unit as required.

Hi @Albert Ross

What version of firmware is on the camera?

In order to check what version of firmware you're using;
please stop the camera recording then press menu twice,
scroll down to "system info" or "version" then press OK,
a black screen should pop up with a long text with R.. at the end.
Please tell me what numbers are after the R.

Back