Another power option

tabetha

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A MPV that I was at today was fitted with a thinkware F770 front/rear set up a few weeks ago, this MPV has a front tilt and slide sunroof and a rear tilt only one, I suggested to him fitting a large solar panel on the underside of the tilting sunroof, we measured a decent 1.4 amps into the cars battery, the cam is hardwired and apart from jumping in car turning ignition to on then off and getting out to reset the 48 hour recording feature when he and wife were away on hols cam has not flattened battery, panel cost £37 needs no maintenance and can't be seen when driving car, we fixed it to glass with gutter seal with tape temporarily to hold in place even though glass sunroof has a tint it still gets 1.4 amps on a decent day, it's never left for more than 2 days without being used so ideal set up for this, might be idea for others ?

You have to wonder why they aren't standard equipment these days, think of all the flat batteries that could be avoided in cars parked for too long!
I tried this once many, many years ago with a car I rarely used, but solar panels weren't so good then, the one I had actually seemed to drain the battery when there was no sun! :(

You have to wonder why they aren't standard equipment these days, think of all the flat batteries that could be avoided in cars parked for too long!
I tried this once many, many years ago with a car I rarely used, but solar panels weren't so good then, the one I had actually seemed to drain the battery when there was no sun! :(
Tesla and Mercedes use solar panels on some of their cars I'm sure, I don't know if they can be piggybacked for accessory power though

I don't know how tesla and merc are wired but am sure the solar panel on the rear roof/spoiler area on the leaf is topping battery up 24/7, yes solar panels have got way more effecient over the years

Back