Intro and question

wedgy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just to introduce myself and say hello....with a question too.:)

I bought a battery version A118 dashcam (well it may be a copy which I didnt know at the time - BlueSkySea on the logo) about 2 years ago, have got on with it fine. I bought another for my daughter 6 months ago but jut found out that it is a capacitor version and switches off the instant the power is lost. It seem to save the files correctly, but in a recent accident it didnt record about 30 secs when it switched off and back on again after stalling the car. Luckily it wasnt important but it could have been. My battery one wouldn't have missed it.

I want to buy another one but 99% seem to be capacitor type, so my question is:
How can I actually use the option to record for 1 min/3 min/ 5min after powering of the ignition?

In addition, is Viofo the best choice for this camera? I have bought a couple of unbranded A118s off ebay for £50 each and one doesn't work at all, the other seems OK but would appear to be a copy again as it has some odd options in the menu such as 'lower beam reminder' which just freezes the cam if I try to use it. I have been refunded, so want to buy a 'decent' one.

Ta

Welcome to DCT

How can I actually use the option to record for 1 min/3 min/ 5min after powering of the ignition?

You need a battery version. Today the most dashcam has capacitor, because lithium battery don't like the high heat that can occur in the car in the summertime.
There is some example where the battery has expand so much, that the dashcam split.

When you buy a good quality dashcam today, there will come with capacitor.

Most of the UK climate can use battery-powered models, but a good quality capacitor powered cam will reliably save the last file on power-down. The generic A118 models are of variable quality these days and I can't recommend any other than a Viofo A118C. The Chupad D501 is a similar cam, has battery power, seems to be reliable, and has much better vid quality than the generic A118 especially at night. The Viofo A119V2 is a step up from there and worth the extra cost.

Like my old Mobius the halcyon days of the A118 are gone with the passing of time, and you can do much better now.

Phil

Hi chaps, thanks for the replies. The quality does seem to vary, as has been said. Out of four that I've bought over 2 years (supposedly the same dashcams,) one didnt work and one had dodgy software. I would prefer a battery cam for the reasons I've said, so I'll check out the Chupad first, but it does seem that quality and the use of capacitors go hand in hand now.

EDIT
Chupad not really available in the UK it seems. I'm tied to ebay as well, because I have refund voucher to use.

Last edited:
At this point I'm not certain that I can steer you where you want to go as I'm not at all familiar with the Ebay UK sellers and their product lines which differ from those available here. Perhaps @niko can jump in here with suggestions- he's a very reputable UK/EU seller who knows your market better than me ;)

Phil

That would be appreciated. I have thought of hardwiring to a permanently live circuit, one that doesn't require ACC position. That way, I could buy a capacitor version and select the OFF time as per a battery model?

That would be appreciated. I have thought of hardwiring to a permanently live circuit, one that doesn't require ACC position. That way, I could buy a capacitor version and select the OFF time as per a battery model?

there's no off time option, the auto off menu setting is to turn the camera off if it's left in standby (not recording) mode, you would need to add an external timer if you want to have it run longer once power is cut

The Viofo manual for the A118C2 says:
"The camera can be set to stay on indefinately or automatically turn off after not being used for 1-,3- or 5 minutes."
It then says " if it has shut down, press the power button to restart it." This suggests that power is available somehow.

I gather that the 'not being used' bit means 'not recording'? I assumed it meant after power off.

The Viofo manual for the A118C2 says:
"The camera can be set to stay on indefinately or automatically turn off after not being used for 1-,3- or 5 minutes."
It then says " if it has shut down, press the power button to restart it." This suggests that power is available somehow.

I gather that the 'not being used' bit means 'not recording'? I assumed it meant after power off.

yes it will power off if not recording, power is still there so you can turn it back on

Bit odd, because the same 'auto off' settings are in my battery powered model and they do shut down recording after 1/3/5 mins.

Interestingly, I just checked my original 'battery' cam and was surprised that it actually doesn't shut down as I thought, it shuts down after about 10 seconds. Still enough time to re-start the car if it has stalled without losing any footage. I must say that I never waited around for more than 10 seconds to see if it was recording after 1 min or so, but just assumed that it did.
Even with a battery version, the auto off function only comes into play if NOT recording, as you said.

Battery pros -
Instant record at ignition on ( no 'charge up' delay as with capacitor models)
Delay in shutting off when power lost. ( useful if engine stalls and is restarted)
Ability to view footage from the cam without external power.

Battery cons - possible reliabilty issues if battery fails. ( mostly an issue in very hot or very cold climates)

Last edited:
Yeah that's how the function normally works, an extended delay off time is also possible but the batteries used in most of these cameras would see that function having problems before too long as they are generally not very high capacity cells that are used

It can also depend on what circuit you're getting power from. I tapped into the power window circuit, which in my Toyota Rav 4 is live even after I take the key out... Until I either open the door or about 1 minute goes by.

With old cars it was either or. Now it's either, or, maybe, sometimes, never, and might not always be that way :rolleyes: A car stereo or alarm installer, or even your car dealer can usually point you to where you need to be tapping in ;)

Phil

It can also depend on what circuit you're getting power from. I tapped into the power window circuit, which in my Toyota Rav 4 is live even after I take the key out... Until I either open the door or about 1 minute goes by.
Good point, just trying to imagine what stays live (for a while) on my Qashqai?

Good point, just trying to imagine what stays live (for a while) on my Qashqai?
They don't sell that model in the states so I'm not familiar with it... But try turning off the key and then using the power windows before opening the door. I've seen some Nissans that would do the same as my Toyota. My dad's old 97 maxima would even open the windows if you held down the unlock button on the remote for about 3 seconds. Handy on hot days to start letting the hot air out before you get in.

Oops, typo, it's for a Peugeot 107 not my Qashqai. You definately don't sell that in the States!

Back