Using USB power for A119S?

mugenaspec

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I only have an USB port and a 12volt power outlet in my car. The power outlet doesn't seem to be working, but when I try plugging into the USB port to power the a119s, it turns on, but always accesses mass storage. Any way to make it so it just uses the USB port for power and not have it be trying to access mass storage?

Welcome to DCT

Nope, that the way it should work.

Most likely you car stereo try to pick up some mp3 music.
Check the fuse to your cigar plug.
if that not work.
Get a high quality usb cable without data connection. That might work.

Most Computer and built in vehicle OEM USB Data/Stereo ports are under powered and are not recommended for DashCam operation. You will stress the CPU and it will flake out. It will also activate mass storage mode. (card reader mode) You're better off getting a high quality hard wire kit if you can't use the cig power adapter.

So I only have an USB port and a 12volt power outlet in my car. The power outlet doesn't seem to be working, but when I try plugging into the USB port to power the a119s, it turns on, but always accesses mass storage. Any way to make it so it just uses the USB port for power and not have it be trying to access mass storage?
Check your vehicle's owners manual. If you don't have it, most can be found online and downloaded for free in PDF format. Sometimes car makers hide the "extra" cigar lighter/12V power sockets pretty well, but I can't recall any car or truck I've owned in the last 25 years that didn't have at least 2 sockets. If there really is only one, then find out where the fuse for it is, see if it's blown and, if so, replace it. Had that when I first bought my latest car.

Check your vehicle's owners manual. If you don't have it, most can be found online and downloaded for free in PDF format.

It took me months online to find a free PDF mechanics workshop manual and you cant even buy a home half baked one for my car

It took me months online to find a free PDF mechanics workshop manual and you cant even buy a home half baked one for my car
I'm not surprised. Even fifty years ago workshop manuals were expensive and not always easy to find. But what I was talking about was the owners manual that comes in the glove box of every new car. That will show you where any and all 12V sockets are located and where the fuse box or boxes can be found. If you're lucky, it will also show what each fuse protects. If not, it's pretty easy to just open up the fuse box, look at each fuse, and see if one is blown.

So it was a blown fuse. Easy fix, now it works! But yeah, I only have one power outlet in the car.

Easiest solution is to get a pull - a - fuse kit. Basically unplug the fuse that powers your 12v Acc power outlets in the car. It plugs into that, and original fuse plugs into a piggyback fuse plug on the adapter. It then converts the 12v to 5v USB. Most kits come with 10-15ft of USB cable you can run through your headliner or channels in car to the dash.

My car had two 12v fuses for my power outlets since it had two power outlets, one that was ALWAYS powered, and one that switches with ACC power on the car. I opted to use the switched outlet. No wiring diagrams needed as most fuse panels have a description of their functions on the panels themselves, if not, most owners manuals have them vs technical repair manuals.

Back