Insurance agent can't view footage I email him

Insurance companies don't act on hints; it's just not the way the business works. There is always an actuary involved whose job it is to deal with the measurement and management of risk and uncertainty. If the equation suggests that it is cheaper to settle, that's what they do. If the equation suggests the opposite, they do otherwise. Of course, there will be actuaries on both sides. If the actuary on either side decides that the situation requires the involvement of their legal department you are into another level entirely and they WILL want your actual video files, not YouTube.

That's nice, except that their file attachment system limits files to 15mb.

That's nice, except that their file attachment system limits files to 15mb.

My post was in response to the remark by @Moon that maybe your insurance company "dropped them a hint" and that's just not how insurance companies function.

Anyway, maybe you should get a new insurance company that is actually interested doing more than just collecting your premiums? Sounds like your insurance company didn't think your case was worth the trouble of looking at your documentation or just couldn't be bothered, although you haven't described the situation surrounding your claim. One thing I've experienced now and again, which might be what you are up against is not a bad insurance company so much but instead a lazy or uninterested agency or agent who can't be bothered. Was the 15MB limit at the corporate level or the local agent that sold you the policy?

Last edited:
I was just about to mention that. Another issue is malware. Many companies these days prohibit employees from clicking on links to download ANYTHING. They insist on media they can scan and verify.
I'm painfully aware of that... I work IT for an international law firm, and getting anything from both opposing counsel and clients is often a real cluster.

That said, we use Dropbox, box.com, Google drive, and other cloud storage, as well as an internal server for securely moving big files between involved parties. It can be done, it just involves a little work up front. And it's not really that hard.

Well, you could reduce the video's resolution until the file has less than 15MB but the quality was going to be so poor that it would render the video useless. :D
Depends on the length, whether you crop the view, and how you encode it.
The following clip was 13MB before uploading to YT:

I'm painfully aware of that... I work IT for an international law firm, and getting anything from both opposing counsel and clients is often a real cluster.

That said, we use Dropbox, box.com, Google drive, and other cloud storage, as well as an internal server for securely moving big files between involved parties. It can be done, it just involves a little work up front. And it's not really that hard.

I agree, it's not that hard but it requires both parties to cooperate and collaborate. Things can be different when both parties may not even know each other very well or trust each other. That's what I ran into when trying to hand off video and other files to the police online.

Well personally I'm not following up anything else on this, insurance decided in my favor w/o the video. But for future reference, if it happens again.... hope they catch up on technology.

Insurance companies don't act on hints; it's just not the way the business works. There is always an actuary involved whose job it is to deal with the measurement and management of risk and uncertainty. If the equation suggests that it is cheaper to settle, that's what they do. If the equation suggests the opposite, they do otherwise. Of course, there will be actuaries on both sides. If the actuary on either side decides that the situation requires the involvement of their legal department you are into another level entirely and they WILL want your actual video files, not YouTube.
Accurate explanation for what some find to be a complex process.

Do a live reconstruction in the insurance company car park :D
seriously though, did you get it sorted?

I had this once. Since then, I print out a copy of the online form (filled in) and drop the footage onto DVD. One copy has the footage cropped to the relevant part using video editing, the other has the raw file. I write on the disk "incident at 2m20s" or wherever it is. On both disks, I also include many, many stills to back up my claim - images from google earth, street view and even a second clip where I might drive the route at a quieter time. I also include screengrabs showing any/all relevant sections of the highway code - since that is the rule book we are ALL (in the UK) supposed to follow. I then send this off recorded delivery to my named insurance assessor.
I also add a link to where I left the clip on YT (unlisted), just in case they are allowed to se it there.

Go old school and make it a gif.

tumblr_mv891uJ8701slbjseo1_400.gif

I have only submitted video footage 2 times, first time was when i was rear ended, though the offender took blame no problem but i still mailed my insurance company links to private youtube videos and they still liked that.

Second time was a guy i turned in to the police as he made so many bad traffic offenses in 30 seconds that he should not be allowed to drive.
I added link in e-mail to private youtube video, and after a while and involving media to get police to take action i got a RPLY on my email asking for me to turn in the footage, so i put it on a DVD along with a written statement and then hand delivered that on the local police station where it was clear the youtube video was well known among the people there.

A CD or DVD are not expensive, and same goes for a letter ( if needed ) and this will ensure the party get the raw unaltered footage.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Managing / Editing Videos 7
Back