A119S asks to format every few days (that setting is off)

nXt

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have an A119S with a 64GB card, recording set to 1080p 60. Every couple days when I start my car it says I need to format it. I checked the format warning setting and it's turned off. I also have Loop Recording set to 5 minutes.
Whenever I see this warning I go ahead and format it. What's funny is today it did this, and I format, I go to work and plug in the card and all my previous days recording are still there with 2.2GB free. What the heck!

I have the latest firmware 1.7 loaded too. Anyone have any ideas or seeing the same thing? It's supposed to delete or recordings when card is full right?

there's two situations where this warning would happen, one is when you have the reminder set, the other is when the card has a problem, given you have the reminder off I'd say it would be a good idea to have a closer look at the card

there's two situations where this warning would happen, one is when you have the reminder set, the other is when the card has a problem, given you have the reminder off I'd say it would be a good idea to have a closer look at the card

Yeah this is weird. I left it recording for 8 hours during work. I just checked the card and it didn't have any new files.
I'll format manually again and see.

SanDisk Ultra SDXC Class 10 UHS I 64GB.
Worked perfectly in my old A118

SanDisk Ultras are not good cards for most dash cameras. I'd definitely try another card.

I use a green PNY elite without any problem. Easy to find here U.S.

prev_PNY-Flash-Memory-Cards-microSDXC-Elite-64GB-fr.png

Every couple days when I start my car it says I need to format it.
I re-flashed the firmware when I got the "Format" warning (last October-November), seems to fix that.

Very similar problem. Also using A119S with a 64GB card, recording set to 1080p 60. Firmware is latest V1.2 with SanDisk ExtremePro 64GB memory. Firmware is not properly recycling the memory when full. A119S fails to record video without displaying error messages. Please do not blame the memory card. The firmware should handle this and is ultimately responsible for proper operation and error recording.

Very similar problem. Also using A119S with a 64GB card, recording set to 1080p 60. Firmware is latest V1.2 with SanDisk ExtremePro 64GB memory. Firmware is not properly recycling the memory when full. A119S fails to record video without displaying error messages. Please do not blame the memory card. The firmware should handle this and is ultimately responsible for proper operation and error recording.
Latest firmware is V1.7. There is also a beta V2.0 available too. Make sure looping is on. Never assume the memory card is fine. Always worth testing with h2testw if your experiencing issues with recording.

Thank you for your prompt reply. I was using V1.7; my mistake in typing, but couldn't find beta V2.0. I will try h2testw. Thanks again!

Thank you for your prompt reply. I was using V1.7; my mistake in typing, but couldn't find beta V2.0. I will try h2testw. Thanks again!
Another component that I have seen cause memory card issues/faults is powering through the GPS mount on the V1 model A119/A119S. If you have a V1 camera and are powering through the GPS, try powering the camera directly. GPS will still function.

Yes, I was aware of that. I did find that a V2 GPS mount will not work with the original (V1) camera. But thanks for the comment.

I have the same issue as OP and it is definitely the memory card. I own a A119 and a A119s and two Lexar microsd cards. One microsd card is old stock which was purchased when it was still recommended for dash cams and one is new stock. I hadn't realized Lexar changed manufacturers and it was removed from the recommendations. Both pass h2testw but the speed of the new is crap compared to the old. I'll post up my results in that microsd card thread later...

Anyways, using the new card in my A119s would bring up the request to format constantly. Switching cards between the dashcams would cause the A119 (w/new card) to have the format request too, albeit less often. The error never happens with the old card. I guess the A119s is more demanding on the microsd card?

Working perfectly with SanDisk ExtremePro 64GB. Wrote 204 *.mp4 files to memory with the oldest 64 overwritten as they should have been. Very happy!

We've had a few A119/A119S returns where the customer blamed the camera being at fault when it ended up being the memory card. This is almost always the case.

I'd avoid Sandisk Ultra (Red/Grey) cards.

Samsung EVO U3 is the card we recommend as of today. "EVO Select" (the green ones) are my personal favorite. It's the Amazon house brand so you know for sure it will be legit/real. (If "sold by Amazon")

Last edited:
I just had a couple year old Sandisk card behave the same way, unfortunately the camera it was in wasn't even complaining. The card is now in the trash can. Wish I had checked it sooner.

Samsung EVO U3 is the card we recommend as of today. "EVO Select" (the green ones) are my personal favorite

The orange one is not select but do you know if they work ok

Last edited:
Back