Which fuse to use for powering my dashcam

Are you guys realy sure that it doesn't matter in which way the fuse with cable is plugged in?

I have to plug the Side with the cable on the fuse to plus right?

That can I measure with a voltmeter because on plus there are 12 Volts right?

Please help :(

fuse.jpg

Yes, you should measure the side on which the battery is in that fuse box so that you would grab the power for the camera after the fuse, not before.
Connect your multimeter straight into the fuse connectors and stick the red stick to the pin that you think is the battery side. If you get a postive reading, connect the camera cable so that the wire runs off on the negative side (the side, where electricity exits the fuse).
Also, make sure you don't blow the fuse in the multimeter, so either keep the power use at a very minimal level (for example, on my multimeter, it's only allowed to let 200 mA through the multimeter with the fused route) or connect the positive wire on the multimeter to the unfused line (for example, on mine its safe limit is 10 A).

Ok thanks for your advice even though my english is not good enough to understand everything you wrote.

It's so irritating that some people say: no matter how you plug the fuse into your car and some others say it's very important to measure it where 0 Volts come out because on this point there has to be the fuse with the wire...

germany said:
Ok thanks for your advice even though my english is not good enough to understand everything you wrote.

It's so irritating that some people say: no matter how you plug the fuse into your car and some others say it's very important to measure it where 0 Volts come out because on this point there has to be the fuse with the wire...

OK it appears I didnt read it well enough

What you actually want to know is

"how to insert a tapped fuse" so that the fuse still works as it should.

Ok thats different to just how do I insert a fuse.

If you want to use it that way you put it in with the tapped wire on the "OUT" end and then if the fuse blows the camera will turn off.

HOWEVER if the fuse you are using is more than 2 amps you will need to also retain the lighter capacity fuse in the line

EG I have a tapped 10 amp fuse in the fuse box running to a ciggy socket and have the camera power supply which has a 2 amp fuse plugged into that.

The camera would go on fire before it blew a 10 amp fuse but would blow a 2 amp with a small fault

The correct way to check for voltage with a multimeter Is put you settings on the meter on DC Voltage and range on 20 v

Connect the BLACK terminal to a metal body part Like a bolt head on a door hinge. Making sure its through the paint.

Then use the RED terminal to probe in the fuse box to find a live socket.

Remember if the ignition is off you will only find ALWAYS ON fuses.

If you want a feed which switches with the ignition note which ones are always on and then turn ignition on and probe again When you find a different one on hold the probe on it and turn the key off.

It should then go back to NO voltage Use that one

There is usually some spare sockets not being used and its better to use one of them than disturb one thats being used especially the airbag ones.

Your picture looks like a VW if so what model as I have a POLO and a PASSAT and can maybe tell you the exact fuse to use

Hillbilly said:

Yes, that's what I want to know. Thanks for your big post.

I have a 10 Amper Fuse Adapter and want to build it into a Polo 6r. I thought I can use the fuse of the seat heater (25A) because it's empty because I have no seat heater in my car but first I have to check it as you explained.

The Camera uses less than two Amps I think it's something about 500 mAh. But I bought a 10 A Fuse because that was the smallest Fuse which was avaliable with a cable on it.

Hillbilly said:
The correct way to check for voltage with a multimeter Is put you settings on the meter on DC Voltage and range on 20 v

Ok that's what I will do tonight. Thanks again your post helped me a lot!

germany said:
Hillbilly said:

Yes, that's what I want to know. Thanks for your big post.

I have a 10 Amper Fuse Adapter and a Polo 6r and I though I can use the fuse of the seat heater (25A) because it's empty because I have no seat heater in my car.

I use less than two Amps I think it's something about 500 mAh. I bought a 10 Fuse because that was the smallest which was avaliable with a cable on it.

Hillbilly said:

Ok that's what I will do tonight. Thanks again your post helped me a lot!

Here you go Our POLOS have the fuse panel under the steering wheel. http://www.vwwatercooled.com.au/forums/ ... 56577.html

You get power when key is on as shown in REPLY 13 you get ALWAYS ON power from the space above it between the two 25 amp fuses

Doesnt matter which way the fuse is because they are blank on the OUT end therefore you should either use the Power Magic unit or a Ciggy socket and the ciggy power plug that it with the camera

Have shown where the ciggy socket is in the end of the dash wrapped in bubble wrap to stop rattles I wouldnt change the 25 amp fuse in the car for a lighter one as there is probably more than jus the seats on it as If a fuse isnt needed it wont be there.
Thats why I used the blank ones as it doesnt upset any circuits and it doesnt pay to do that in a VW

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes it's under the steering whell the other picture was from an older Polo a 9N. I have a guide for the fuse and as I can see it's only for the seat heating:

fusesguide6r.jpg

mycarfuses.jpg

Instead of a "Power Magic or a Ciggy socket" I used a USB Car Socket 5 which is convertig 12 Volts into 5

germany said:
Yes it's under the steering whell the other picture was from an older Polo a 9N. I have a guide for the fuse and as I can see it's only for the seat heating:

fusesguide6r.jpg

mycarfuses.jpg

Instead of a "Power Magic or a Ciggy socket" I used a USB Car Socket 5 which is convertig 12 Volts into 5

Blackvue cameras run on 12/24 volts

Is that socket ACC power or ON ALL the TIme

I want to power a 808 it has 5 volts

I haven't measured yet. But I think ACC power would be enough for me because I just want to record when I'm driving no parking mode or motion detection.

germany said:
I want to power a 808 it has 5 volts

I haven't measured yet. But I think ACC power would be enough for me because I just want to record when I'm driving no parking mode or motion detection.

Yes a fuse that has power ONLY with ignition on will do what you want

I took the fuse of the anti-theft device because I have no anti-theft system in my car and everything works thanks for your support

Updated post 1 with fuse holders bypass mounted. (The amperage is big, 20A, but will be replaced with a 5A fuse).

enjoy,
Mtz

Not sure why everyone struggles with electrics as there are only two wires an earth (the body of the car) and a positive.

On my car it has a keycard that when inserted simply recognises it and puts power on to a relay located on the fuseboard.

The contacts on the relay then put power on to the internally located fuseboard which obviously powers everything up on that and allows the car to be started.

In needing a permanant power source, Obviously i havnt attatched my camera to the fuse board, but have tapped into the thick positive wire that is switched via the relay contacts to power the fuseboard and supplied directly from a fuse in the engine bay designed as a master fuse to protect everything on the fuseboard/ or fuseboard fault.( tapped into permanant positive side)

I retained the glass fuse that came with the camera as it is of the type designed by the manufacturer to protect the camera ....

The power control relay above is a bit of a gem...

A simple keyfob low amp remote control switch can be used to energise the entire fuseboard via the relay with a press of a switch from a distance and yet the car retains its security in being unable to start without the keycard ( although i have discovered the simple removal of one particular fuse with the fuseboard energised allows the car to be started and driven off in defeating all security on any car - i guess thieves havnt cottoned on yet ! )

With the relay proven to be controlable by remote it becomes a simple task to control eveything on the fuseboard by remote and i have not bothered to opperate my cabrio roof by remote , but i do use it to control my webasto diesel heater and the heater fan of the car so with both energised the cab and engine are preheated using the remote and a click of the button .

Some cars have a power cut delay on some fuses (like for the lights) if the driver forgot the lights on. After about 15 minutes the power will be cut on that fuse.

Does anybody knows if vw golf 5 has that kind of fuse?

Hi, any indication on how to hardwire a Thinkware F750 to a 2016 C Class Merc saloon????? I would be most grateful for a guid on what fuses to tap on to. Thanks in advance, from gary

Back