30 fps vs 60 fps?

DTR556

Reaction score
Country
United States
Apologies if this has already been covered - I tried the search function and didn't see any side by sides of the same scenes.

Has anyone noticed any difference between 30 fps 1080p and 60 fps? Is this only an option to save on file space or is there more to it?

Last edited:
smoother playback, especially in slow motion

overall 60fps is better
however, devil is in details
at day 60fps will get above 1/60 and all are sharp, but when it's dark than 1/60 might not be enough and you'll get too dark video, while 30fps at 1/30 would be about twice lighter and you can get better video as result
on another side, at speed 60fps should capture better, while 30fps might get blur - this is when you want to identify lic plate or etc details in stop/slow motion

pick your less evil ;-)

overall 60fps is better
however, devil is in details
at day 60fps will get above 1/60 and all are sharp, but when it's dark than 1/60 might not be enough and you'll get too dark video, while 30fps at 1/30 would be about twice lighter and you can get better video as result
on another side, at speed 60fps should capture better, while 30fps might get blur - this is when you want to identify lic plate or etc details in stop/slow motion

pick your less evil ;-)
That is not what happens in reality since if it is too dark for 60fps the camera will automatically change to 30fps and if it is bright enough for 60fps then it will automatically use 1/60th second exposure or faster even if set to 30fps. The amount of motion blur within the video frames is normally identical.

So the only real differences are smoother playback in bright conditions, twice as many frames so that you have more chance of catching things that move very fast and less minutes of storage space on your memory card, typically around 30% less.

Personally I would rather have the extra minutes of storage from 30fps, occasionally I want things that just been overwritten, I very rarely see any benefit from 60fps in dashcam video. For an action camera I much prefer the smoothness of 60fps.

That is not what happens in reality since if it is too dark for 60fps the camera will automatically change to 30fps and if it is bright enough for 60fps then it will automatically use 1/60th second exposure or faster even if set to 30fps. The amount of motion blur within the video frames is normally identical.
I didn't know that A119S can auto switch?
Does it produce one file at 60 and the next at 30 and back automatically?
I'm not aware that inside the same h.264 fps can be changed.
Which FW # added this ability?
WDR would benefit from it big time, but it didn't work for me, only ON or OFF.

go figure ?

I didn't know that A119S can auto switch?
Does it produce one file at 60 and the next at 30 and back automatically?
I'm not aware that inside the same h.264 fps can be changed.
Which FW # added this ability?
WDR would benefit from it big time, but it didn't work for me, only ON or OFF.

go figure ?
I don't actually know about the A119S, but most dashcams when they want a shutter speed less than 1/60th second will simply record zero changes for every 2nd frame, so it is still a 60fps file but every 2nd frame is identical to the previous.

Back