USE your hazard warning lights!!!

DashcamDPR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
A119 Pro, Mio Mivue 508 for the work van
Is it just me seeing dashcam vids usually american or Canadian, where cars are having to slam their brakes on for whatever reason, but they don't bother to flash their hazard lights AT ALL to warn the fast approaching traffic, especially on freeways??

I just saw a clip, night time on a freeway, a car up in the distance touches its brakes momentarily but then carries on, 2 seconds later the cam car hits a wheelbarrow in the middle of the lane!

If it had been myself (and I'm sure I don't just speak for me) I'd have been able to take much more care on approach, to avoid said wheelbarrow, if the car in the distance had given a few flashes of the hazard lights as they'd passed the wheelbarrow!!

If ever I come across a hazard on the road that someone could easily miss I ALWAYS give my hazards a few flashes, I can't get my head around the fact so many don't

If ever I come across a hazard on the road that someone could easily miss I ALWAYS give my hazards a few flashes, I can't get my head around the fact so many don't

have never seen anyone do that here either, I think legally you're only meant to use them when stopped somewhere you shouldn't be stopped and when driving in fog, very heavy rain where you are going way below the speed limit or visibility is very poor

in Japan if you let someone in they'll give a flash of the hazards to say thanks

in Japan if you let someone in they'll give a flash of the hazards to say thanks
In Serbia they do that too with hazards(if you mean all 4 direction indicators/blinker or how do they called anyway).:unsure:

That's not a universally understood method of use, at least not that I've ever heard, unless you're going to stop your car in a way that would protect the other motorists. Just flashing the blinkers a few times while you're still moving along normally would just get a puzzled look from most other motorists here in the US. Here, that typically means keep your attention on my car, not there might be something hidden on the roadway that I just passed. In fact, it may actually distract the following motorists from paying attention to the road as they normally would.

KuoH

Are they still referred to as "Hazard lights" over in the states then?

We use the "flash a couple of times" as a thank you as well, but it shocks me that they're not recognised worldwide to signify any hazard that may affect following drivers, given that theoretically it's probably the most ideal reason to use them!!

Are they still referred to as "Hazard lights" over in the states then?

We use the "flash a couple of times" as a thank you as well, but it shocks me that they're not recognised worldwide to signify any hazard that may affect following drivers, given that theoretically it's probably the most ideal reason to use them!!
Unlike the rest of the world, USA cars often have red turn indicator lamps which might be a bit confusing?

It used to be illegal to use them while moving in the UK, but we now use them routinely on multi-lane roads to indicate rapid braking. On newer vehicles it is often done automatically if you use the brakes heavily so I guess it will become universal since most countries, except North America, tend to follow Europe on vehicle safety regulations.

Like Japan we also often use them to say thank you after someone lets you into the space in front of them, easier to see than a raised hand, especially if it is a large truck.

I've seen a couple of occasions where the brake lights including the center high flashed rapidly. This could be more likely to be interpreted as there might be a hazard ahead vs a couple of slow placed blinks of the typical hazard lights.

KuoH

It used to be illegal to use them while moving in the UK, but we now use them routinely on multi-lane roads to indicate rapid braking. On newer vehicles it is often done automatically if you use the brakes heavily so I guess it will become universal since most countries, except North America, tend to follow Europe on vehicle safety regulations.

I believe it's still illegal to use hazard lights while moving in the UK unless it's on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway.
Not sure I see the logic. They are called hazard warning lights, after all.

Most people understand that one or two flashes means "thanks" (or more like "sorry", increasingly the case) but you can work that out from the context of the situation. So I see no reason why they shouldn't be used for their most important purpose.

From Highway code:
You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead.

From Highway code:
You MUST NOT use hazard warning lights while driving or being towed unless you are on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway and you need to warn drivers behind you of a hazard or obstruction ahead.

This will show our American friends where I'm coming from :)

I believe it's still illegal to use hazard lights while moving in the UK unless it's on a motorway or unrestricted dual carriageway.
Not sure I see the logic. They are called hazard warning lights, after all.

Most people understand that one or two flashes means "thanks" (or more like "sorry", increasingly the case) but you can work that out from the context of the situation. So I see no reason why they shouldn't be used for their most important purpose.

From Highway code:
Because among traffic it is too easy to see just one side flashing and think that someone is about to turn or pull out and react incorrectly. On motorways it shouldn't be a problem because you should have much better visibility and be more aware of what is happening around you.

I can't believe that many people driving down a dual carriageway in a dangerous situation are going to think ohh, this is a restricted dual carriageway so I mustn't press the button! Some of our rules are stupid.

A lesson on good parking and use of hazard lights from the police...

Your guess is as good as mine as to what they are doing. But my guess is they thought they were encouraging people to stick to the ridiculous 20mph borough-wide limit that was introduced fairly recently.

I've seen a couple of occasions where the brake lights including the center high flashed rapidly. This could be more likely to be interpreted as there might be a hazard ahead vs a couple of slow placed blinks of the typical hazard lights.

KuoH

If there's an unexpected danger ahead of me on a highway, I rapidly flash my brake lights several times to draw attention to me then I brake solidly as needed.

It's generally illegal to use your hazards while moving here in SC USA, but many people do it (especiallty trucks) to indicate when they are going significantly slower than the expected speed ;) I can see the logic of that as their seed disparity could be a hazard, but they should not be used when there is no hazard.

Phil

I dont use hazards while moving, but i have flashed my brake lights at nice drivers, three quick flashes indicating TAK that is thank you in Danish.
If stuck at the back of stopped traffic not least on a motorway i will be flashing everything i have, not least if its due to fog which it seem like Danes dont thing its a good enough reason to slow down.

I ALWAYS use 4 ways/hazzards if having to do anything like emergency stop on dual carriageway or motorways, standard practice in some countries, I also use them to warn followers of motorways/dual carriageways of slow movers like tractors, yes it is correct it should only be done whilst stationary but speeding is also illegal and who doesn't do that, certain newer cars have a decelerometer in the brake light circuit that flashes the brake lights rhythmically under extreme braking, I find it a lot more common in other parts of EU esp Germany.

Unfortunately where I am, if you use the flashers while moving slowly, people will interpret it as meaning you are about to stop and double park, and they will overtake you instantly on the wrong side of the road at maximum acceleration without a second thought.

They are too thick to think that hazard lights might mean there is a hazard.

On the other hand they do seem to have a basic understanding of what brake lights mean, so it is safer to stick to those.

I wish I was joking about this, I really do.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Most people in the uk use 4 ways for when being towed also

I think this is exactly where the problem lies then. Everyone sees hazard lights flash and they have their own (in some cases) limited interpretation of what it "could" mean

It has always been my understanding (even from a common sense point of view, since they're known as hazard lights) that the very concept of these hazard warning lights was designed to tell anyone approaching, very simply, that there is a hazard.... and that it actually doesn't matter what the hazard might be, just that there definitely is one... and therefore you should approach with caution

Back