The UK AA calls for crackdown on sharing dashcam video

This is exactly why I do it, and so many others!

The whole point in shaming idiot drivers is two-fold really, hoping they themselves see it and learn from their ways, and to educate everyone else as to what not to do on the roads, and what they can expect to see as soon as they get in the car!!

The trouble is no-one is perfect. The Law Commission did research a few years ago that showed that the majority of accidents couldn't be avoided. Human beings are not machines. We all make mistakes, we all make misjudgements and bad decisions whether that is turning off last minute or travelling a bit faster than we should because of that important meeting.

To simply be judge, juror and executioner by internet is wrong. The police are there to enforce the law. For the rest of, our job is to protect ourselves from blame if the worst happens, although in the UK that's a bit of a joke anyway, because even if you prove it's not your fault, most companies put your insurance up anyway.

There is usually a clear difference between a mistake and deliberate action that stems from bad attitude.

Though sadly some people's idea of what is bad attitude and what is acceptable behaviour is strange.

The only way to stop the descent into chaos is to show the problem, explain why it is dangerous, and discuss it.

For all its problems, "social" media is the most effective way available to present examples and explanations to the masses and have them discuss it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Most of the 'car crash' YT channels post a disclaimer stating it is being done for educational purposes :D We might know better, but that is enough to CYA them and keep YT from pulling the vids ;)

It's no use trying to ban the posting of these vids as people will just send them to a nation where there are no such restrictions and they will be visible online anyway :whistle: The real problem is that Governments do not understand the web-world today and that it is impossible to control it with their outdated ways of thinking and doing things :mad:

The correct solution is to promote the use of dashcams and the posting of any vids which show any kind of bad behavior. Dashcams are a great tool when used properly; helpful to those wishing to better themselves and hurtful to those who deserve that instead. When the unbiased truth hurts then it is supposed to :cool:

Phil

Another thing (well, maybe it isn't) is that in the past it was easy to be in denial about the dreadful things that can happen on the roads, and how likely they are. Do you think that 30-40 years ago people would have been so against wearing seat belts if they could see with their own eyes how things can go in that part of the real world that's just one mistake away?

Watching crash test dummies go through windscreens in contrived tests just doesn't have the same impact (no pun intended.)

The trouble is no-one is perfect. The Law Commission did research a few years ago that showed that the majority of accidents couldn't be avoided. Human beings are not machines. We all make mistakes, we all make misjudgements and bad decisions whether that is turning off last minute or travelling a bit faster than we should because of that important meeting.

To simply be judge, juror and executioner by internet is wrong. The police are there to enforce the law. For the rest of, our job is to protect ourselves from blame if the worst happens, although in the UK that's a bit of a joke anyway, because even if you prove it's not your fault, most companies put your insurance up anyway.
I suspect you are thinking of the minor mistakes that we all do every time we drive, few of us make those public and if we do then we don't normally post identification, but they are still educational and the more they are seen the better some people will drive.

But there are also more serious ones:

Some really should not be left to the police to deal with, and the police need to know that they are being made public: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/police-van-pulls-out-in-front-of-me-big-time.28743/

And some should be made public because there is no doubt that the driving was unacceptably dangerous, if things like this are censored then nobody will know that they are happening and nothing will get done about them: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/close-shave-on-the-a9-scotland.9891/#post-123683

I can't say I have ever posted anything publicly as I don't know how ha ha, I am really that crap on the computer!!

Most "accidents" can be avoided and DO stem from some one somewhere doing some thing wrong, this is the reason even the emergency services now refer to these not as they did as RTA, Road Traffic Accident but now RTC Road Traffic Collision reflecting this changed attitude, there are some genuine "accidents" but most are RTC's that could and should have been avoided, I was in A&E(ER) over the weekend with kidney stone and there were some people referring to themselves as having had accidents most falling over and hurting themselves or fighting after getting pissed, the only genuine one I heard was the giggly girl who had got something "stuck" ha ha

I've been watching some of the popular YouTube "UK car crash" channels recently, and it seems a lot of the people sending in videos are actually driving in a manner that sets them up for near-misses and the likes, just so they can send in their videos and "get famous".

For example, they're going up the inside of cars that are clearly lost and trying to get off a roundabout/motorway, speeding up round roundabouts so they can get IN to the danger area and blow their horns. They're doing this to produce "good" footage for YouTube bad driving compilations. Saw one where a foreign truck was indicating to change lanes, the Dashcammer nipped up the inside, then blew their horn and swore, and then promptly got forced on to the kerb and the side of their car re-arranged. Any reasonable driver would hold back and let the lost trucker get on with his life. When they're called out on it in the comments, they get defensive and/or abusive.

When I got my camera first I would edit the videos with near-misses etc, put them on YouTube, etc. Then I realised that:
a) What seemed a near miss at the time really wasn't, or didn't look like it on video
b) No-one cares
c) I really have better things to do in my life.

So, now I only pull the card out of my camera every few weeks to see if it's still working OK.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
niko Dash Cam Discussion 0
Back