3M Tape came off from the plastic side

I've mentioned that my Dad was a manufacturer. This was what was known as a "supply chain surprise". So count your blessings. It could be so much worse (and more expensive) than replacing some adhesive tapes and mounts. :) It is to your great credit that you support the product on this level.

yes I know exactly what you mean, these things can and (unfortunately) do happen, there will always be something come up, regardless we are always committed to supporting the product but more importantly supporting the end user no matter what it takes

Unfortunately my camera was dangling from the roof today when I went to the car. The mount has detached from the tape on the windscreen. I presume I must have been part of the bad batch...Bought from Amazon UK at the end of May. Need to find the box to see if I have any spare tape.....

What is the best way to remove the tape from the windscreen?

Steven

Unfortunately my camera was dangling from the roof today when I went to the car. The mount has detached from the tape on the windscreen. I presume I must have been part of the bad batch...Bought from Amazon UK at the end of May. Need to find the box to see if I have any spare tape.....

What is the best way to remove the tape from the windscreen?

Steven

from Amazon UK will be from @niko will ask him to get in touch with you about some replacement tape, you should have no trouble to remove the old tape, once you lift a corner up and the air gets under it you should be able to pull it off ok

Great thanks for the quick reply.

Steven
Please send me PM with your details and I am going to look after you.

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

Someone else had this problem on this forum ... and it was recommended to get a particular type of glue to put on the plastic that you then put the tape on.
Can't remember what it was called ... Hopefully someone else can remember what it was or the thread it was mentioned in?

I do recall that you have to be careful with glue .. because the fumes can gunk up the lens.
Can't remember whether this particular glue required drying before attaching the Camera or whether the fumes wouldn't cause damage?

3M has an adhesion promoter for just this type of application. It's a sponge, looks like a wetnap.

We buy by the box.

image.jpg

Someone else had this problem on this forum ... and it was recommended to get a particular type of glue to put on the plastic that you then put the tape on.
DO NOT USE SUPER GLUE!!!

So unfortunately, this afternoon I discovered that my SG9665GC was coming loose from the plastic side of the mount....AGAIN! Another tape adhesion failure. Last replacement was around the beginning of July with the new style mounting plate. Just got back in from remounting it. Hope I have better luck this time. There's definitely a problem here unless @Street Guardian USA sent me the old stuff for some reason. This is with the new solid back mounting plate that I abraded with #50 sandpaper before applying the tape. If it happens again, I guess I'll just use my own supply of 3M VHB on a roll.

There's definitely a problem here unless @Street Guardian USA sent me the old stuff for some reason. This is with the new solid back mounting plate that I abraded with #50 sandpaper before applying the tape. If it happens again, I guess I'll just use my own supply of 3M VHB on a roll.

was it bracket with tape he sent or just the tape?

was it bracket with tape he sent or just the tape?

You know I'm a little fuzzy about that but I think the first recent one @Street Guardian USA sent was the new style bracket with the tape pre-attached. I immediately had trouble with that one and then I was sent a couple of new spare tapes. I think that's what happened as I recall. Anyway, when I got home I remounted with one of the spare tapes.

The weird thing was that the yellow release paper on one side of the die cut 3m VHB tape spare had lettering that appears to say, "Reflective Sheeting". (part of each word was cut off)

The weird thing was that the yellow release paper on one side of the die cut 3m VHB tape spare had lettering that appears to say, "Reflective Sheeting". (part of each word was cut off)

I'll have a look at the current stock of spare tape when I get into the office and see if it is the same or not

if you have some handy Scrotchbrite is better for dulling off the plastic mount to remove any contaminants before applying new tape, 50 grit paper is a bit course

I'll have a look at the current stock of spare tape when I get into the office and see if it is the same or not

if you have some handy Scrotchbrite is better for dulling off the plastic mount to remove any contaminants before applying new tape, 50 grit paper is a bit course

I tried some Scotchbrite and it didn't seem to do much. The sandpaper used gently made for a surface that seemed like it should allow for better adhesion with the tape. Either way, the tape appears to be more at issue here than the scuffed plastic on the mounting plate. Like I said, if this one fails I'll just go with my trusty roll of 5952.

This whole thing with the problem tape is kind of weird. As I recall, the older tape I had lasted a year or more before manifesting this problem.

I used wet sanding sand paper when i had the issue with the lukas camera, it also dident work, and that's when i reached for the CA glue.

The V1 i passed on to my friend also did this using the spare pads nick sent to me when i had the issue too in my car.
He is now using some of his own sticky tape from RC and so far it have been a month + and so far no issue.

The V3 seem to be holding on well so far in my car, and i am sticking to the dotted area and its never on that side it let go.

I used wet sanding sand paper when i had the issue with the lukas camera, it also dident work, and that's when i reached for the CA glue.

The V1 i passed on to my friend also did this using the spare pads nick sent to me when i had the issue too in my car.
He is now using some of his own sticky tape from RC and so far it have been a month + and so far no issue.

The V3 seem to be holding on well so far in my car, and i am sticking to the dotted area and its never on that side it let go.

Yeah, come to think of it I grabbed the #50 grit sandpaper because it was handy from a project I've been working on but I think anything that roughs up the plastic surface a little bit should work fine. The issue here seems to really come down to a bad batch or batches of tape.

@jokiin, I went and pulled the release paper from the die cut 3M replacement tape Jon sent me out of the trash and snapped a photo of it. You can see that it says "Reflective Sheeting" on the back. Maybe it offers a clue to what the problem is here.

reflectivesheeting.jpg

I tried several patched on the lukas, some from lukas i had not yet used and some from other dashcams including the V1 GC.
And i tried to clean the contact surface of the lukas and in the end also sanding it down to make damn sure it was as clean as possible.

But it just would not work before i called on Major CA, after that the lukas stayed in place for 2 years.

But it just would not work before i called on Major CA, after that the lukas stayed in place for 2 years.

that works similar to the adhesion promoter which is like a plastic primer that is used before applying the tape, a good substitute considering adhesion promoter is not the kind of thing you'd normally have in the toolbox

@jokiin, I went and pulled the release paper from the die cut 3M replacement tape Jon sent me out of the trash and snapped a photo of it. You can see that it says "Reflective Sheeting" on the back. Maybe it offers a clue to what the problem is here.

View attachment 32906

will check with the supplier, thanks

Back