12 month warranty is up... What then?

HOW LONG DID YOUR DASH CAM LAST BEFORE IT DIED?

• Total voters
How long did your Cam last? Post it up top. Thanks
All my cameras are still working, so I probably shouldn't be posting in this thread. My bad. :oops:

The dead one ... or 2 ... or 3 (any more than 5 and you may be charged as being the 'Dash Cam killer')
Zero then; guess I will not be the next DashCam Killer :D My wife tells me occasionally that things have a habit of turning to crap when I touch them though. So far my cameras have withstood this.

which can leave customers without a camera at all for many weeks (6+ weeks is typical) at a time, not all warranties are equal that's for sure

This is why I place little value on warranties. If it's something you can manage to be without, then a warranty might be a little useful. If it's a "must-have" item then only a replacement shipped to you immediately via overnight delivery upon your request is a barely adequate response- and I know of nobody offering those terms :whistle:

So a warranty, even with the greatest service, isn't doing anything except saving you the replacement cost should an item die if you have the time to wait on them to rectify the situation. Otherwise it's worthless and means almost nothing :eek:

I'm not a 'prepper' but I follow one of their mantas which is "Two is one, and one is none" so if you're going to depend on something, the best warranty you can have is a second item ready to be used immediately ;) And in so doing, your otherwise maybe worthless manufacturer's warranty might now have value since now you should have time to wait for it to be effective :cool:

Phil

This is why I place little value on warranties. If it's something you can manage to be without, then a warranty might be a little useful. If it's a "must-have" item then only a replacement shipped to you immediately via overnight delivery upon your request is a barely adequate response- and I know of nobody offering those terms :whistle:

So a warranty, even with the greatest service, isn't doing anything except saving you the replacement cost should an item die if you have the time to wait on them to rectify the situation. Otherwise it's worthless and means almost nothing :eek:

I'm not a 'prepper' but I follow one of their mantas which is "Two is one, and one is none" so if you're going to depend on something, the best warranty you can have is a second item ready to be used immediately ;) And in so doing, your otherwise maybe worthless manufacturer's warranty might now have value since now you should have time to wait for it to be effective :cool:

Phil

I think your two is one and one is none philosophy applies to things like tools of trade, although the cameras aren't something you might consider a necessity you can feel a bit vulnerable when you're used to having one and suddenly it's not there, I think we do warranty support a lot faster than most of our competitors, some of the big brands are very slow to even respond and get things underway, sometimes things take longer than we'd like and we even resort to giving out loan units at times if something can't be sorted straight away

Just to make things clear my response to what Jokin wrote was general commentary and absolutely NOT aimed at him or SG, who have a well-deserved and well-earned reputation for products which need minimal warranty service and who give the best after-sales service of any kind on any product you can purchase anywhere ;)

If everyone were like Jokin and SG there would be no discussion of warranties as no problems with them would ever be encountered :D Well done to Jokin and all of the SG team (y)

Phil

Just to make things clear my response to what Jokin wrote was general commentary and absolutely NOT aimed at him or SG, who have a well-deserved and well-earned reputation for products which need minimal warranty service and who give the best after-sales service of any kind on any product you can purchase anywhere ;)

If everyone were like Jokin and SG there would be no discussion of warranties as no problems with them would ever be encountered :D Well done to Jokin and all of the SG team (y)

Phil

I didn't take that is being directed toward us at all, likewise my comments were general in nature, it did remind me of a situation I used to encounter reasonably often when I worked in retail with mobile phone customers (this was well before anything like Apple care existed) and generally went something like this

Customer: my phone's broken and I need it fixed/replaced/whatever NOW, this is costing me $1000 a day in lost business
Me: sorry we can't just replace phones, they have to be sent to the service center, yadda yadda (manufacturers never allowed us to just replace stuff, had to be assessed by a tech first)
Customer: but I'm losing $1000 a day, I need it now
Me: $1000 a day, yeah I understand your frustration, what sort of work do you do?
Customer: I'm a plumber, builder, general contractor, whatever, you get the idea (people that were on the tools generally broke phones often)
Me: how many drills do you have?
Customer: two, three, whatever (always looking perplexed when asked)
Me: why do you have that many?
Customer: in case one breaks, I can keep working
Me: why do you only own one phone? that thing makes you $1000 a day!
Customer: .............

that was the
"Two is one, and one is none"
philosophy in action you reminded me of

@jokiin
I went through exactly that with my phone. And that was when I decided that most warranties are essentially worthless :rolleyes:

I ended up buying another phone from that ATT store because I had to have a working phone to do my job the next day and at that place and time there was nobody else open where I could get a phone. I was not at all happy about that and very vocally so which was causing their other customers to leave before the impending explosion occurred :ROFLMAO: I wouldn't have gotten violent but I've discovered that making it seem like you will often expedite things in your favor :rolleyes:

The only good which came from that is that I stopped paying for insurance on my phone since it was wasted money, and I bought a phone which I liked so much that I am still using one like it, with another one tested and working in the desk drawer for when the current one dies :p As old as the design is, that extra phone in nearly-new condition cost me all of $12 with free sipping so I'll be grabbing another one soon :D

Phil

How long did your Cam last? Post it up top. Thanks
Your poll needs a category for time and still working. As it is you are only looking for those with cams that died.. and, perhaps you are but then question 1 is out of place. For what it is worth mine is into its second year and works as well as it did on day 1

Age is one thing, usage is another, had a customer recently that let me know his camera was starting to play up (still working but the LCD display was getting lines in it) said he'd been through a few memory cards but the camera had done over 400,000 km's of driving which wasn't a bad effort

Your poll needs a category for time and still working. As it is you are only looking for those with cams that died.. and, perhaps you are but then question 1 is out of place. For what it is worth mine is into its second year and works as well as it did on day 1

The thread title is about Warranty ... the Poll was added to see how long Dash Cams last. [Not very successful]

Less than 12 months you are covered
If most votes are between 1 and 2 years ... most people miss out because there is no 2 year warranty
If it lasts 3 years ... you have done pretty well
Longer than 3 years ... bonus ... excellent purchase

In your case - being into the 2nd year - you are not covered by warranty ... you may benefit from warranty being extended to 2 years
If the majority of votes are for 2 years or longer - then 1 year warranty would be sufficient due to the reliability being acceptable.

As all Dash Cam brands are different ... it would be handy to have the Brand and Model with the vote
To get a better idea of Brand reliability - there would need to be a Questionnaire to get the detail.

As far as I am aware - there are no stats in this forum to assist those wanting to buy a Dash Cam ... in regard to which Brands/Models are most reliable and have the least problems.

Last edited:
Don't worry you are not alone thinking this way :D:D
+1. After much explanation my wife still does not understand why I'll occasionally buy 2 of something I only need 1 of - it's because I need 1. Case in point the USB adapter to power dash cams in the car - I keep a spare in the car.

G1W still works but only used as a backup in case one of my others goes wrong. Had it years - ever since Techmoan recommended it.
Mobius - I have 3 of these. Again, bought when Techmoan recommended - so had about 4 years.

The cams in my car only runs about 1 hr per day, the one in my bus runs 9 - 10 hrs per day.

VFM? Only paid £50 for the mobius so yeah, definitely good VFM & definitely look to buying another - although I'd also be looking for similar siz/better night quality...

Back