Usb cable confusion

Dep

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Mobius camera with capacitor that I swap between vehicles. It works in all vehicles apart from a 2016 (453) Smart car. To get it to work in this car I have discovered that I have to use a different usb cable. This other usb cable will work with the camera in all other vehicles. However it is inconvenient being about 3 m long ! I reckon the Smart usb connector must be different. So, how can I know what shorter usb cable to buy that will work? All responses gratefully received.

Sounds like the Mobius is recognising the USB port as a computer and going into external drive mode.
I'm surprised you have a cable that overcomes this. I've heard of power-only USB cables (no data), but they seem to be rare as hen's teeth.
If I recall, you can take the Mobius out of this mode with button presses, that isn't very convenient when using as a dashcam though.

Edit> May not be possible to prevent storage mode with the capacitor version.
From mSetup:
Recording when directly connected to a PC
With the Mobius, it is possible to charge the battery and record videos or time-lapse photos at the same time while connected to a PC for charging only. You cannot access the SD while recording.
In order to do this, the video or time-lapse photo recording must be started before the camera is connected to the PC. It is not possible to record if the camera is turned on while connected to a PC. Likewise it is not possible to take single still pictures while the camera is connected to the PC.

Last edited:
The same thing happens with my Escape. The USB is being recognized and thinks it's connected to a computer which is kinda true.
I ended up having to tape up the 2 middle pins on the USB Type A side for force power only:
USB-type.png

Yep, you gotta lose the data connections somehow. IIRC Mobius comes with a short power-only USB cable doesn't it? If so that could be plugged into any other cable as the data connection will be broken and that's all you need ;) No difference between battery and caps as long as there's no data connection.

Phil

Back