Looking for front camera with backup camera/display

Mark Valpreda

Reaction score
Country
United States
My work car (2016 Ford C-Max Energi) has an obstructed rear window (full wrap) and I'm in need of a backup camera. Since I drive a lot, figured a dashcam would be good to have as well. Since it's a work car I don't want to spend too much, but I do have the ability and would semi-permanent mount it. Since the rear window has a wrap, would like something with a camera I can mount outside the car.

Prefer a wedge shape and not a replacement mirror, display size is not a huge factor, turning on with power would be great, prefer to download (if needed) files from a card opposed to wifi.

I saw the SG9663DC and it looks great, but $500 is a bit more than I want to spend. I have also seen
  • PRUVEEO Q2 (is it good for $60?)
  • Rexing S500 Pro (not sure I like the way it looks)
  • Rexing V1P (looks nice!)
  • ITRUE X6D (looks like the Rexing but comes with card and hard wire kit)
Is the GPS add-in worth it?

Thanks for any input!

Last edited:
you may want to consider 2x different devices rather than one that does the two functions poorly.

my current choice of wedge shaped cameras at the moment would have to go to viofo A119 or A119S.

the backup camera that I use replaces one of my license plate bolts. it's quite discreet and it has no exposed wiring to the outside of your vehicle.

and there are many, many inexpensive LCD monitors that you can pair it with. just read those reviews as one of the LCDs that I've purchased at one time did not survive a hot weekend.

and here's a related thread you may want to look through.

Thanks for that. That camera looks really slick.

I already have so much in the car right now with a radar detector, broadway mirror.....so if I would either go with a backup camera, or a dashcam. The windshield would be full of stuff!

:) i only have my dashcam stuck to my windshield. my backup camera monitor is built into my rear view mirror. my iphone is on my dash with a magnetic mount.

it's time consuming but it's not too difficult to make all the components look neat.

:) i only have my dashcam stuck to my windshield. my backup camera monitor is built into my rear view mirror. my iphone is on my dash with a magnetic mount.

Would consider a mirror with a rear-view in it if I wasn't so used to my Broadway mirror. No blind spots! I'll keep looking for something that is not too big.

Found a product that will add a video input (4 actually!), but it's $300 http://www.navtool.com/ford-c-max-main-category.aspx

A true reversing camera have side and distance guidelines in the footage, and it have the footage flipped / mirrored to account for the camera facing backwards but the viewing monitor being viewed facing the other direction.
And true reversing cameras also tend to have a larger screen, the 2 - 3 " screens on dashcams are not really useful in this regard + it is often hidden behind the mirror.

GPS are mainly there to log your speed and your path and save that in or alongside your video recordings, but i think GPS are nice but some fear it forgetting that your speed can always be ascertained from the video footage anyway ( distance traveled in time )
BUT the GPS in 99.9 % of dashcams are not for navigation, and who need that anyway with google maps in the pocket anyway.

I'm NOT recommending this, but I had one of these fitted to my van for a while: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B01LET011IBad points: Very unreliable (kept losing/locking up rear video), and rear camera resolution is bad.
It could have actually been dangerous if the rear view froze and I had ever trusted it to reverse!

The only reason I mention it is that when it did work, it was quite nice being able to see right behind me (my van has no rear windows at all.) The 4" screen was about right for this. If you could get hold of a similar but reliable version (one you could test and send back if it was no good) it might be a good option.

I have replaced that with this wedge camera with rear cam: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B01FU2IRB6That has been reliable, but the screen is too small to act as a rear-view mirror substitute.

Most external cameras share the low resolution problem, at least ones at reasonable prices.

Back