WR1 issues.

Seems to me that there are a number of folks having common software & firmware issues with this camera. Wish I would have bought from Amazon - at this point I'd happily be using a Mobius.

Am I the only one noticing Viofo's silence in this thread?

Perhaps they can acknowledge some of these issues and let us know if they have plans to address them.
Thats reason why reviewers and testers exists.I dont know for sure but I assume that they are aware about these little problem,bugs and glitches and doing something about them. They release a new firmware version,whats gonna be next we will wait to see.

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Viofo has a good track record of tweaking new products.

I'm sure it will get better........I hope it will get better.... :)

@dash riposki Watch this video,its made in low light conditions and in 720 P but most important thing is order of led lights and beeping sound when WR 1 gets power,your dashcam should do the same thing.

Darkness may not be a problem, but in daylight in the truck, I can't even tell the red LED is illuminated. I can barely see the green one flashing if I really focus on it.

This bothers me since I primarily use a dashcam to cover my rump, and I need to know it's working. I habitually check my cams while driving to make sure they're operating. The mobius next to it isn't much better in daylight, but at least I can see the red led flashing to let me know it's RECORDING if I look hard enough.
I'm not sure knowing the wifi is working, and not connected is much comfort. :)

Darkness may not be a problem, but in daylight in the truck, I can't even tell the red LED is illuminated.
This bothers me since I primarily use a dashcam to cover my rump, and I need to know it's working. I habitually check my cams while driving to make sure they're operating

Same here with the A119s during the Day on my rear window. Luckily it has a screen that I have on all the time just so that I can see that it is recording.
I can't see the red 'rec' light during Daylight and can only see it at night. Not being able to check regularly to confirm it is still recording would be a real problem for me as well.

I think they can brighten up the LED a little via software tweaks. By the time they get around to that, I may trust the cam enough to accept a 'steady on' indicator to show it's recording. It's dusk here now, and I can finally see the dim glow of hope emanating from the red led.
:)

Darkness may not be a problem, but in daylight in the truck, I can't even tell the red LED is illuminated. I can barely see the green one flashing if I really focus on it.

This bothers me since I primarily use a dashcam to cover my rump, and I need to know it's working. I habitually check my cams while driving to make sure they're operating. The mobius next to it isn't much better in daylight, but at least I can see the red led flashing to let me know it's RECORDING if I look hard enough.
Well,if you cant see red or green led light is ON you can check if there is a WR 1 wifi signal on your phone,because when WR1 is off or power suply is interupt there isnt wifi signal.

Yes, but in the US, if I get caught with a smartphone in my hand while driving a truck.......it can get expensive. :(

One other thing I'm noticing, the audio seems pretty muted on the WR1. I'll try to come up with some examples/comparisons tomorrow.

Viofo could switch to brighter LED's- they are out there even in some of the cheaper off-brands ;)

I too prefer a blinking LED while recording as during the bright summer sun even that isn't easy fr me to see.

Phil

Here's an example of the audio level.

The first clip is a mobius B, a few inches away from the wr1.

The mobius isn't wonderful for audio, but you hear the 'beep beep' stronger, and also the drone of my idling truck.

Yes, but in the US, if I get caught with a smartphone in my hand while driving a truck.......it can get expensive. :(

One other thing I'm noticing, the audio seems pretty muted on the WR1. I'll try to come up with some examples/comparisons tomorrow.
Well,regarding a police,I think there are small chances for them to see you having phone in your hand because you are in much higher position than they are in any of their vehicles,especially if you keep your phone in your lap. But no need to risk and get a ticket.
You have a point about WR 1 audio, compared to Yi audio, its muted a little bit. I dont think thats gonna be problem with the videos recorded in your truck because it isnt so quiet at all.

Sent from my CUBOT MAX using Tapatalk

What about if it made a single beep every 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, or 5 minutes (time selectable by the user in the options) to let you know it was recording. Lots of people mount it behind the rearview where they can't see tge LEDs anyway.

What about if it made a single beep every 30 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 3 minutes, or 5 minutes (time selectable by the user in the options) to let you know it was recording. Lots of people mount it behind the rearview where they can't see tge LEDs anyway.
In a 12-hour shift in WR1 in a car set so that beeps every ( 1,2,3,5 ) minutes I would threw it away after half of my shift.

It beeps enough now when you're accessing the settings via the app.

Don't mention this again, they'll call it a 'driver alert' feature. :)

Well one thing is for sure, we are too demanding customers/comsumers of dashcams. Who can please all our wishes. Maybe for some of future dashcams, some of the manufacturers can make some sort of survey to here all our wishes, or ask some of DCT members ( talented for drawing or designing etc. ) to suggest some sort of new ( never seen before design ) dashcam or use some features and realibility of dashcams that already exist and put in new shape design or add some more usable features than we seen before. That one idea for all of us to think and develope togheter with manufacturers.

Last edited:
Yeah, too demanding. Here's my short list.
  • supplied instructions are incomplete and in several cases wrong.
  • cannot format SD card in-camera without using phone app (powering on when silver button pressed on camera should accomplish it).
  • wifi works poorly and hangs when transferring files often.
  • two android apps; only one works (for me), sort of.
  • beeping when camera is not recording (should be a configurable option).
  • setup cannot be done without using wifi app (should use a config file like Mobius OR there should be a web interface so a computer can be used).
  • red led should flash when camera is recording rather than remaining solid.
  • some think leds should be brighter.
  • recorded sound is too weak.
  • reset button is inaccessible.

Last edited:
Seems to me that there are a number of folks having common software & firmware issues with this camera. Wish I would have bought from Amazon - at this point I'd happily be using a Mobius.

Am I the only one noticing Viofo's silence in this thread?

Perhaps they can acknowledge some of these issues and let us know if they have plans to address them.
We write down all of your problems and your suggestions, will find way to solve in next firmware upgrading and next batch. We are listening and collecting your suggestions, so more silence when listening to.

Yeah, too demanding. Here's my short list.
  • supplied instructions are incomplete and in several cases wrong.
  • cannot format SD card in-camera without using phone app (powering on when silver button pressed on camera should accomplish it).
  • wifi works poorly and hangs when transferring files often.
  • two android apps; only one works (for me), sort of.
  • beeping when camera is not recording (should be a configurable option).
  • setup cannot be done without using wifi app (should use a config file like Mobius).
  • red led should flash when camera is recording rather than remaining solid.
  • some think leds should be brighter.
I agree,there are some problems,bugs and glitches and all you listed above is true but I think most of this things will be solved in future, most new dashcams have their own little problems and we ( users ) are here to point to these and I hope manufacturer will solve them.

In a 12-hour shift in WR1 in a car set so that beeps every ( 1,2,3,5 ) minutes I would threw it away after half of my shift.

Well that's bad news for you because the firmware in your WR1 is beta test firmware that will expire July 31 and no longer function after that. You will have to update to the new version which beeps every 10 seconds and you will like it. Just kidding. Lol.

We write down all of your problems and your suggestions, will find way to solve in next firmware upgrading and next batch. We are listening and collecting your suggestions, so more silence when listening to.

There were some good suggestions I agree with, like brighter LEDs you can see during the day, being able to format the memory card in the camera without the app, and louder audio.

Correct me if I am wrong but if the green light constantly flashes to show wifi is on, and wifi is always on, that seems distracting. It might be better if green was constantly lit to show power and red flashes for recording. Then if you press the button three times or long press once for say 3 to 5 seconds (since once is to save a file) it turns on wifi and the green LED now flashes to show wifi is on. Then maybe three presses or a long press to turn it back off. I don't see why wifi needs to be on constantly using power and heating up the camera when not needed. If nothing else just make the green solid for wifi on.

Back