Dashcam to buy

Mfizz1

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for some advice on which camera to buy. Must have the following:

Discreet (wedge or small cyclinder will do)

Excellent night and day quality

Reliable (can't be second guessing if it is working everytime I get in the car)

Parking mode (preferably with built in cut out. 1fps or on g sensor activation.

WiFi to easily view files without disconnecting the SD card.

Any suggestions...?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What is your budget ?

Sent from my LG-H962 using Tapatalk

$120 ish only need a single channel. Really can't imagine justifying spending 2-3x that when you have most of the features for that price. I'd be willing to sacrifice WiFi as well because I know it's temperamental. Don't really require a screen either.

How many times are you going to buy a dash cam ?, maybe better to spend what ever is needed to get the features you want right first time, I love my thinkware F770 and the fact it tells you in normal speaky language if there is a problem, that it is now entering parking recording continuous driving etc, even tells you if card needs formatting, I just wanted a fit and forget buddy and as I only intended to buy it once wouldn't settle for anything less than I wanted at any price, but every one different.

Whilst you are correct, it is not very discreet and it is just expensive enough that I wouldn't wanna leave it in the car all the time too afraid it might get stolen or the the opposite of protecting and become an attraction for thieves

All I can say is not one single person has ever noticed or mentioned cam in my car(meriva) it is mounted in front of rear view mirror and car has std factory tinted windows so dark inside it blends in very well it is not until you actually intentionally look for it you see patch sticking on screen, around here muppets leave sat navs on screens overnight all the time, but I understand your apprehension I was the same with my nextbase cam to start with

I am not fond of viewing files over wifi.

Yesterday i recorded a video file with my SJ 6 Air action camera, i then wanted to view it on my phone so i had to Dl it from the camera first.
The problem is it was a 2 Gb recording and the wifi was so slow it took ages, i have no doubt the same SD card in my card reader i could have downloaded 16 - 20 Gb at least from the card in the same period of time as the wifi was on the camera / phone combo.

This was the first time i have tried to use such a on the go feature, and it will be the last cuz really that was just silly and in 99.9 % of cases i have no reason to share footage like that on site, that can easy wait until i get home to my computer and card reader.

Also i found out the colors on my phone are over saturated wildly, i looked like a boiled lobster in the face, and really this summer i have gotten next to no sun as it seem to bypass Denmark now.

I might have to try my OTG adapter with a USB -> sd card reader adapter, but that's also bordering silly and not needed anyway for me.

Back