M6 plus will not work on my motorcycle. Any idea why?

ukflyer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I actually tried two of these. The first one died almost instantly (red light on, would do nothing else and reset did not work), so was returned and this one repurchased. This dash cam ticks all the boxes, but for some reason, will not work on my motorcycle. I have a large touring bike, with a big windshield, and this is perfect for attaching to it, being able to remove it when off the bike, with the magnetic connection to the mount. HOWEVER, and it is a huge HOWEVER, for some odd reason, this refuses to work plugged in to my bike. It worked at my desk, plugged in to a USB power supply and it worked in my car, but why, oh why, did it dislike my motorcycle? The bike has three power outlets. I checked the voltage at each one and when standing, it was 12.7 V, when running, 14.5 V and when switched off, 13.9 V (gradually dropping back to 12,7 V). I tried different 5 V USB adapters (and different USB cables) and nothing. Zilch! Zip! The green light comes on, solid, but no other. Not wifi output or any other functioning.
Does anyone have any ideas why this might be? I am stumped for a reason.

M6 plus input is 5V, if you connects M6 plus with 12V, it may break.

If you connected 12v before, the camera maybe down already. Or try to disconnect power for 48 hours, then connect 5V adapter, if it works, please update new firmware.

I never tried connecting it directly to 12 V. Only used either the supplied USB adapter or a different (but similar) one. It works fine when plugged in to my desktop USB adapter as well as the car power outlet. It just doesn't work on the motorcycle power outlet. All I can guess is that there isn't enough amperage, but every other dash cam works and it also charges my iPhone 7 plus happily. It did a firmware update already at the desk.

I never tried connecting it directly to 12 V. Only used either the supplied USB adapter or a different (but similar) one. It works fine when plugged in to my desktop USB adapter as well as the car power outlet. It just doesn't work on the motorcycle power outlet. All I can guess is that there isn't enough amperage, but every other dash cam works and it also charges my iPhone 7 plus happily. It did a firmware update already at the desk.
Please check the input should be 5V and 2.1A, if power is too low that will be problem.

Ok. I have ordered one of those little USB volt/amp testers and will post the results tomorrow. Running the Ausdom AD109, in the meantime.

It arrived but before I could test the USB adapter voltage it started smoking (literally) and burnt out. Bike voltmeter shows about 14.8-15 Volts after start, so perhaps this is pushing put the 5 volts to a higher voltage which the DDPai cannot cope with. Anyone know what the max input voltage of it is or does it have to be 5 volts only?

Many PS's have an input range from 12V to 24V, but each one is a case of it's own. None should exceed 5.05 VDC output IIRC (+ 10%). Most of the cheap inline USB digii-meters aren't terribly accurate and most will 'smoke' under a heavy load- sorry that yours did too :( But that could be pointing to the problem: perhaps your cam is drawing much more current than it should? Just a guess on my part, you seem to have tested every other aspect quite well so far and I'm baffled too :p

Phil

@ukflyer, as I understood it, your bike's power outlets are on, even with the ignition switched off. Does the M6 work when the bike's not running?

What smoked, the USB adapter or the USB tester? Under what conditions, ignition off, ignition on but engine off, or after starting engine?
Need to take things one step at a time, if 12V is always on that's the perfect place to start testing.

Back