Camera that runs continuously with battery pack?

JackG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I would be grateful for advice for a decent camera that can record continuously powered by a battery pack that has good low light sensors. I do not mind recharging it.

My car is being vandalized and need evidence. The rear end is being scratched and dented, so I just need a good angle for that area alone.

I searched through these forums and elsewhere, and it appears the general consensus is to install an outdoor camera. I cannot put a camera outdoor as it is a carport parking lot in an apartment complex. The carport is not brightly lit but there are some fluorescent lights above so it's not pitch black at least.

I considered trail cams but from what I read it does not work through glass. I need to put it inside the car to record through rear window.

I am thinking I may be able to run a dashcam continuously with a large SD card. I do not want to hard wire to the car battery as it may damage it, so I would also be grateful for advice about battery packs too.

I do not mind recharging it every day, I know it is work but I need to catch these bastards and take them to court for damages and for this to stop, I want to live in peace I haven't done anything to nobody, I think whoever it is mistakes me for someone else.

Thank you!
Jack

Though it's not great in low-light, the original Mobius is worth a look. Several of us have been ling using these recording 24/7 with no issues at all. Better in low light would be the G1W-S. Kind of new, but one member here has been running his 24/7 for a few months and I have been doing that for a few weeks (haven't checked mine as its on my sister's house and not too easy to get at). No cam is warrantied for this kind of usage nor will any seller or manufacturer recommend this. It is possible if you're willing to take the risk of a lost investment :rolleyes:

Look at the night-time vids for these cams on youtube and see if you think either will do well enough in your lighting conditions. That will be the critical part for you because every cam needs some light to capture images and only you know what yours is like ;)

And welcome to DCT :D

Phil

In your situation a front camera will be fine i think, and if you reverse into your parking bay you more or less force the Vandal to come strait at your car and so also camera.
Off course you could also put camera in rear window and drive strait into parking bay, but then you will have little use of the camera in day to day driving.

Many people in here use a large USB power bank for parking, a large one should have no problem powering your camera over night, and you can then charge at work in the daytime so you are ready for the next day of service.

For optimal low light performance you should look for a camera with the Sony IMX 291 sensor, but as you have some neon tubes going all the time in the garage you should also be able to use dashcams with less optimal sensors in regard to low light performance.

I would go for a regular install on the windscreen and reverse into my parking bay as thats no problem for me as a driver, then i also have the camera there to log my everyday driving, just have to unplug the power bank when i set off and plug in the power supply coming off the cigarette plug for every day driving.

Welcome to the forum, and lets get this punk vandal busted ( i have IP camera on my car where parked for the same reason + its pitch dark there so need IR light at night )
192.168.1.100-CAM_1-2016-01-21-15-34-19_big_thumb.jpg

Back