Nextbase 512GW...shall I keep it?

BTB22

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought the 512 GW before finding this site, and would probably go for the A119S V2 now, but I like the images from the Nextbase and the PC viewer for this model is very good. I'm still well within the Amazon return period but want to give the 512 a fair trial before deciding to return it.

The main issue is the way it mounts, it hangs from the mount, even when using the smaller sticky one, and is far from discreet, even behind the mirror it looks clumsy and is too close to the back of the mirror. I'm replacing an ancient first generation Smarty (circa 2011), and it sat snugly to the screen and hardly noticeable, but things have moved on since then and it needs upgrading.

Has anyone managed to find a better way to mount the Nextbase cams? I almost fitted it to the dashboard, upside down, (you can invert the video), but common sense said otherwise, although with a custom made black acrylic case around it, it might not be so daft.

I would get rid of it if you can, I have 5 nextbase cams in the drawer all persistently going wrong most killing batteries, freezing changing date/time etc screens going off sound turning off displays going dark cameras turning off refusing to turn on to mention a few issues.
I went with thinkware F770 and consider it very discreet as it sticks flat on screen blending in perfectly with and behind interior mirror

I got rid of my G1W-s for its lack of discretion, A119sv2 is also considerably cheaper is it not?

It isn't at all discreet, and long term reliability seems not too good from reading the comments here. The A119SV2 is cheaper, well liked on here and gets frequent updates. The F770 is more expensive and has features I don't really need, but that's just about choice.

tbh I don't use 90% of the F770 features I just liked the way it was flat against the screen with ace parking mode

I came across a problem yesterday, after a journey of around an hour the dashcam was frozen and I had only two recordings from the beginning. Given the advise here I wasn't going to mess around, when I got home I packaged it up, its now gone back to Amazon and I already have the refund as a voucher to spend on another brand.

Thank you for the tips. My Nextbase journey has come to the end.

My dad has a MIO mivue which I really like, got it I think from Currys, I am of the opinion buy it right buy it once, it nearly always works and the reason I bought my F770, the only annoying bit if having to wait 40 seconds before recording starts!

My dad has a MIO mivue which I really like, got it I think from Currys, I am of the opinion buy it right buy it once, it nearly always works and the reason I bought my F770, the only annoying bit if having to wait 40 seconds before recording starts!

I have 2 mio mivues, both 508s, my car's rear cam (mounted using a roadhawk mini-mount) paid less than £30 each, the other I keep portable, I use as an interior cam (as per my avatar) and I put it in the work van... and honestly... they're belting cams, one is coming up for 18 months old and is as good as day one

Thanks for the suggestions, so much choice. Amazon had the F750 on sale yesterday at £139 including hardwire kit, and 16GB sdcard. I decided to try it and now have it connected indoors to test a little, good news is my SanDisk 128GB card works just fine, and the bad news is it came with new firmware that doesn't allow flashing the F770 firmware.

It will be interesting to see how I get on with it, thank you tabetha for bringing it to my attention and the recommendation.

I'll leave this thread now and chat on the Thinkware one as needed.

Back