Adhesive mount on interior glass 'sun shade'

DougT007

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi - I was also wondering about applying adhesive mount to the plastic (I think it is) sunshade that comes on your interior windshield - our Kia Souls have a generous amount of this on the glass behind the rear view mirror (where it would be perfect to mount a dash cam I think). I don't think suction cup would work on that sunshade material on the glass...and I'm concerned about mounting adhesive mount on that sunshade material - would it damage it when removed...?? Or if you used a string to "saw" it off like on Youtube, and some Goo GOne - would it clean up OK and not damage that sunshade material already on the glass.... Thank you.

No problem gluing something to the dotted area, only minus are that the dot or in my case the grid tend to make it a little harder to clean when you remove the camera.
But not really a problem for me as i only remove a camera to put in a now one in its place, and i am pretty sure if i wanted to i could clean it up just fine.

My grid area do have one huge + to it, i can have a suction cup mount on it with no problems and i some times do that for testing action cameras.
Taking the same suction cup and camera to my little sisters car that have dots instead of a grid pattern like i have and the suction cup can only stay on for seconds.

Its funny its like Suzuki put the dots on some windscreens and then the left over grid on other windscreens :D

Many mounts you can get off by prying it off instead of the string saw, i use a 1" wide steel spatula like you would use on drywall or putting bondo on a car.

Hi - I was also wondering about applying adhesive mount to the plastic (I think it is) sunshade that comes on your interior windshield - our Kia Souls have a generous amount of this on the glass behind the rear view mirror (where it would be perfect to mount a dash cam I think). I don't think suction cup would work on that sunshade material on the glass...and I'm concerned about mounting adhesive mount on that sunshade material - would it damage it when removed...?? Or if you used a string to "saw" it off like on Youtube, and some Goo GOne - would it clean up OK and not damage that sunshade material already on the glass.... Thank you.

Those black dots on your windshield are called "frit" and they are made of a ceramic material that is fused to the glass. It is high unlikely that you will ever damage it as it is extremely durable. Suction mounts don't tend to work too well on raised frit dots but adhesive 3M VHB tape works great. You can remove it, clean the glass with some alcohol (or Goo Gone) and replace it whenever you wish with no problems.

https://www.dedona.com/the-purpose-of-the-frit-black-band-and-spots-on-windshield/

Last edited:
You can also use Loctite 5910, which is a fast, 5 minute setting flange sealant used on car production lines etc, will hold no problem and peel off leaving no mess when needed

Back