Solar eclipse.

Viking

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
WR1, Mini 906, 2*A119S, SJDash
I going to South Carolina to watch the solar eclipse.
I wonder if any have some advice how to take photo of that. Do I need special filter for my Pentax K20D.
This probably be the only camera I got at that time.

I dont think you need a filter for the main event, but leading up to it and off it again some kind of filter might be a good idea.

Dont google have any ideas regarding solar eclipse photography.

You must not look at the sun through an optical viewfinder, but if you can use the LCD as a viewfinder then there is no problem taking a photo during totality and a little either side. Don't point the camera at the sun for too long either side of totality as you may overheat the sensor.

My recommendation is that you actually take a photo of the ground, not the sun. Millions of people will take a photo of the sun and they will all have exactly the same view. The view of the ground during the eclipse is something specific to you, eg capture the family looking at the sky with eclipse glasses in the dark.

I dont think you need a filter for the main event, but leading up to it and off it again some kind of filter might be a good idea.

Dont google have any ideas regarding solar eclipse photography.

I saw the first and only total solar eclipse at Rismølleskole in my 3 or 4 grade. Since this one is so close to me I want to see it again, maybe the last in my life time. Don't know when the next or when it gonna be.

I will for sure take some photo of my familie, with fancy glasses on. I have to see if I can borrow a video camera from a friend.
I guess I will get a good change to make some road video with my dashcam.

It is a pretty small shade that is traveling across the earth, so you really have to be in the right place.
Some people chase solar eclipses like some chase tornadoes.

My recommendation is that you actually take a photo of the ground, not the sun.
Or take video. What surprised me when I went to see a total eclipse was how quiet it suddenly went. Wildlife, people, it all stops. Quite spooky.
I think the event would be ruined if you were surrounded by crowds of people yakking away, and I think that would be more likely these days. People think that no event is so awesome that it can't be improved by them adding the sound of their own voice.

I found myself in a fairly isolated area at the time of the eclipse due to poor planning. And I'm really glad it worked out that way.

What surprised me when I went to see a total eclipse was how quiet it suddenly went. Wildlife, people, it all stops. Quite spooky.
That part I remember clearly:)

Or take video. What surprised me when I went to see a total eclipse was how quiet it suddenly went. Wildlife, people, it all stops. Quite spooky.
I think the event would be ruined if you were surrounded by crowds of people yakking away, and I think that would be more likely these days. People think that no event is so awesome that it can't be improved by them adding the sound of their own voice.

I found myself in a fairly isolated area at the time of the eclipse due to poor planning. And I'm really glad it worked out that way.
If you are using video, use a fixed exposure so that you record it getting dark and then light again, although then you may want another camera with a dark exposure otherwise the eclipse itself will record as pure black!

If you are using video, use a fixed exposure so that you record it getting dark and then light again, although then you may want another camera with a dark exposure otherwise the eclipse itself will record as pure black!
Good idea. Action cams are cheap enough these days, you could buy a few for different exposure settings, and sell them off afterwards.

Good idea. Action cams are cheap enough these days, you could buy a few for different exposure settings, and sell them off afterwards.
I have saved some money for a specific one.
But if I was a r...

Back