Möbius C-Lens changing colors.

Just ask how many people tried to find who to report to. Generic answer is talk to your seller. Bangood stopped responding to me after first email. Do I think that they really will get on the phone or send an email to manufacturer each time someone complains, if manufacturer already knows there is a problem? I really don't think so. Otherwise manufacturer would tell Bangood to get a faulty lens from customers to inspect what the real issue is. That's just my opinion from my experience.

from my single experience in dealing with Banggood I would never use or recommend them to anyone, service is great right up until the point where you pay them

I would just put some black heat shrink tube on my lens if i had this problem, easy fix as i have a lot of it from my case modding days.

If need be you might be able to beg for a little pice ( 1 inch ) at a local electrician or shop that work with auto / truck electrics.

But i found as a DIY person a assortment of heat shrink tube in black and red is allways a good thing to have at hand.
image_19840.jpg

Would electrical tape hide it too?

Would electrical tape hide it too?

Yes, of course. Anything that hides the bronze color and doesn't interfere with or damage the lens.

(BTW, if you try the heat shrink tubing be careful not to fry the lens coating.)

yeah better not use a lighter as i often do, but the heat of a soldering iron helt close to the heat shrink is allso good.

I allso have a high power heat blower for welding with plastic, one of those will be overkill too.

Edit i think you can use a lighter too, but then you will need a large enuff pice of heat shrink so the surplus of that will guard the lens surface as heat is applied.
After that you can allways cut off the surplus with a exacto knife or a box cutter knife.

But just be gentle with the heat, and remember its not a live wire you try to cover, so as soon as the heat shrink is a little firm on the lens ring it should be good.

Maybe the camera baking in the sun will take care of the rest ? not sure if thats hot enuff to shrink the stuff.

Last edited:
Agree, but i allways forget to buy one when i am into money :( and a hair dryer wont do it.

A lighter on colored heat shrink is allso somthing you have to be carefull with, some discoloring can happen if you are not carefull.

You know, a hair dryer might even work for heat shrink. I might have to test it and see what happens.

I'm two years and 1 day late but this is happening to my mobius c lens too haha. Did this ever get fixed with newer units?

I'm two years and 1 day late but this is happening to my mobius c lens too haha. Did this ever get fixed with newer units?
I contacted my seller and he had never seen the problem but would replace the unit. Didn't to it because it would take at least 6 weeks to get a unit back since it had to be inspected first. I just colored it with a black marker.

I contacted my seller and he had never seen the problem but would replace the unit. Didn't to it because it would take at least 6 weeks to get a unit back since it had to be inspected first. I just colored it with a black marker.

As mentioned two years ago in this thread, black marker will turn purple and then fade fairly quickly. As also mentioned two years ago, the original C lens has a front bezel (the part that has changed color) that can be unscrewed, spray painted black and put back into the lens. That is likely to be a better, more permanent solution.

The problem appears to have been a bad batch of black anodizing (which was confined to the old "C" lens) as described earlier in this thread. I haven't heard of any recent reports about it happening again.

Odd considering the wide following that this camera has enjoyed.

For quite a long time now I've been mulling over the idea posting a lengthy thread about the incredibly frustrating and ultimately fruitless year I just wasted beta testing the Mobius 2 and corresponding with the developer about various Mobius related issues and concerns including with the Mobius 1 (A2 lens). There was a refusal to fully knowledge issue after issue and sometimes outright denial despite my uploading numerous examples and spending untold hours writing detailed reports, providing analysis and offering the occasional suggestion. Many of my questions, even about the most simple non-proprietary things were ignored, avoided or sidestepped. There were repeated promises month after month to get back to me that were never honored other than to send me new firmware to test along with a few perfunctory answers that didn't actually address the questions I had asked. Two months ago, the last (very typical) reply I received said, "Thanks a lot for your long email. We are reviewing it and will get back to you point to point in details soon. Very sorry I did not reply your previous emails in details". That was the last communication I ever received from the Mobius developer. I've considered trying to follow up with Peter but finally threw the towel in. Meanwhile, it appears that the Mobius M2 has been completely abandoned as far as anyone can tell. The last public release firmware update that has been provided for the M2 was back on Apr 12, 2017 despite the sorry state of the camera. There is also very little activity or discussion on the RCGroups Mobius 2 support forum, except for people trying to resolve various issues, some of which I worked with Mobius on about a year ago.

I still love my Mobius 1 cameras and there is a rumor of an M3 in the works but I've become pretty disillusioned with regard to how Mobius conducts their affairs with their "Man Behind the Curtain" attitude towards their customers and loyal enthusiasts. There is no reason that they shouldn't have a direct presence right here on DCT or on RCGroups. Instead, we end up with two year old threads like this one about an issue many are still dealing with that they have never acknowledged or addressed in any way.

Last edited:
For quite a long time now I've been mulling over the idea posting a lengthy thread about the incredibly frustrating and ultimately fruitless year I just wasted beta testing the Mobius 2 and corresponding with the developer about various Mobius related issues and concerns including with the Mobius 1 (A2 lens). There was a refusal to fully knowledge issue after issue and sometimes outright denial despite my uploading numerous examples and spending untold hours writing detailed reports, providing analysis and offering the occasional suggestion. Many of my questions, even about the most simple non-proprietary things were ignored, avoided or sidestepped. There were repeated promises month after month to get back to me that were never honored other than to send me new firmware to test along with a few perfunctory answers that didn't actually address the questions I had asked. Two months ago, the last (very typical) reply I received said, "Thanks a lot for your long email. We are reviewing it and will get back to you point to point in details soon. Very sorry I did not reply your previous emails in details". That was the last communication I received from the Mobius developer. I've considered trying to follow up with Peter but finally threw the towel in. Meanwhile, it appears that that Mobius M2 has been completely abandoned as far as anyone can tell. The last firmware update that has been provided for the M2 was back on Apr 12, 2017 despite the sorry state of the camera. There is also very little activity or discussion on the RCGroups Mobius 2 support forum, except for people trying to resolve various issues, some of which I worked with Mobius about a year ago.

I still love my Mobius 1 cameras and there is a rumor of an M3 in the works but I've become pretty disillusioned with regard to how Mobius conducts their affairs with their "Man Behind the Curtain" attitude towards their customers and loyal enthusiasts. There is no reason that they shouldn't have a direct presence right here on DCT or on RCGroups. Instead, we end up with two year old threads like this one about an issue many are still dealing with that they have never acknowledged or addressed in any way.

That's a shame, I love my mobius 1 too. Been using it all summer every day. Sometimes it bakes in the sun for hours without AC, because my work truck has always on 12v ports so i forget to unplug it sometimes. Still never had an issue, other than the bronzing lens. My type b mobius has been in my mother's car, it only gets formatted probably twice a year, still never had any problems.

I never got a mobius 2 because of negative reviews. It also looked cheaper than the original.

For quite a long time now I've been mulling over the idea posting a lengthy thread about the incredibly frustrating and ultimately fruitless year I just wasted beta testing the Mobius 2 and corresponding with the developer about various Mobius related issues and concerns including with the Mobius 1 (A2 lens). There was a refusal to fully knowledge issue after issue and sometimes outright denial despite my uploading numerous examples and spending untold hours writing detailed reports, providing analysis and offering the occasional suggestion. Many of my questions, even about the most simple non-proprietary things were ignored, avoided or sidestepped. There were repeated promises month after month to get back to me that were never honored other than to send me new firmware to test along with a few perfunctory answers that didn't actually address the questions I had asked. Two months ago, the last (very typical) reply I received said, "Thanks a lot for your long email. We are reviewing it and will get back to you point to point in details soon. Very sorry I did not reply your previous emails in details". That was the last communication I received from the Mobius developer. I've considered trying to follow up with Peter but finally threw the towel in. Meanwhile, it appears that that Mobius M2 has been completely abandoned as far as anyone can tell. The last firmware update that has been provided for the M2 was back on Apr 12, 2017 despite the sorry state of the camera. There is also very little activity or discussion on the RCGroups Mobius 2 support forum, except for people trying to resolve various issues, some of which I worked with Mobius about a year ago.

If you produce it, you should provide competent and continuing support. I have followed closely your postings regarding this issue, and based on these have hesitated, wisely I might add, in making anymore purchases along this product line. I have always felt that there was some great potential here, but obviously I have fallen in the minority with my opinion.

That's a shame, I love my mobius 1 too. Been using it all summer every day. Sometimes it bakes in the sun for hours without AC, because my work truck has always on 12v ports so i forget to unplug it sometimes. Still never had an issue, other than the bronzing lens. My type b mobius has been in my mother's car, it only gets formatted probably twice a year, still never had any problems.

I never got a mobius 2 because of negative reviews. It also looked cheaper than the original.

It is a shame indeed. Based on our collective experience with the original Mobius we were all expecting great things from a Mark II iteration, only to be sorely disappointed (and for some of us having our time and money wasted). The Mobius 1 was a "lightning in a bottle" product, a true classic. Maybe they can pull something out of the hat, but there is now a great deal of competition in a product category Mobius itself created. I fear they may never be able to recover from this stumble and at least for me their refusal to be communicative with their customers only makes matters worse.

Last edited:
It is a shame indeed. Based on our collective experience with the original Mobius we were all expecting great things from a Mark II iteration, only to be sorely disappointed (and for some of us having our time and money wasted). The Mobius 1 was a "lightning in a bottle" product, a true classic. Maybe they can pull something out of the hat, but there is now a great deal of competition in a product category Mobius itself created. I fear they may never be able to recover from this stumble and at least for me their refuse to be communicative with their customers only makes matters worse.
Agree

I can understand mistakes and failures- they happen to everyone. I made one today and am having to special-order more material to fix things :oops: So you own up to your mistakes, make them right, then learn what you can from them in hope that it will minimize your future problems :rolleyes:

There is no shame in making mistakes, but there is great shame in mishandling them afterward :mad:

Anodizing can be tricky to get right, and if a bad batch happened that is NOT the fault of the Mobius developers since they farm that work out and it's something which they couldn't foresee or readily be expected to test for. Given how cheap the cam is priced at I wouldn't complain about this as the rest still makes it a bargain, but I can see where others would feel differently ;) The original Mobius still fills a special place for those wanting the most reliable rugged small cam there is, but beyond that I cannot recommend Mobius because of their wholesale change in attitude.

They once had most things pretty well right; now there's only one thing right: the Mobius cam itself. They have by their own actions pushed away their best friends and they have much to learn and act upon before I'll buy anything other than the M1 from them. I'm more than disappointed :(

Phil

Back