Help with first git buy

Hondu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, great resource here just been reading many useful posts and want to say thanks especially to those regular posters.

I'm a biker with a Honda CBR600 previously used sjcam and now sony action cam which is such a nice camera but given me no end of trouble switching off, failing to start.

Anyways now looking to buy a git2 for chin mount. I hate fisheye lens so was thrilled to hear the 90deg lens.

Question is my chin mount setup is with a J mount, I heard the waterproof housing cannot be used with the 90deg lens so how would I mount this? Is there a skeleton case or can I remove the lens from the housing... not too worried about being waterproof.

Lastly on 120 /170fov objects appear further away/less dramatic than real life if I am on a sprited ride so 90deg is the right lens? Theres 2 types of lens in the 90 which would you recommend, not sure how they work.

Thanks

Maybe you could buy something like that and unscrew the black frontal lens cover frame:
aliexpress.com/item/New-Side-Open-Skeleton-Protective-Fpv-Housing-Case-With-Lens-For-Gopro-Hero-3-Clear-High/32595311954.html

Anyways now looking to buy a git2 for chin mount. I hate fisheye lens so was thrilled to hear the 90deg lens.
Lastly on 120 /170fov objects appear further away/less dramatic than real life if I am on a sprited ride so 90deg is the right lens? Theres 2 types of lens in the 90 which would you recommend, not sure how they work.

Thanks
On a motorbike you will need the gyro stabiliser, you need to buy the Git2-90 so that you get the stabiliser calibrated to the 90 degree lens, not buy the standard 270 Git2 and replace the lens. There is only one lens option on the Git2-90.

On a bicycle I like the wide angle of the 170, even with fisheye, on a quadcopter 90 is about right. I don't have a motorbike but I think 90 is maybe a bit narrow unless you are riding too fast! Maybe have a look on YouTube for some examples of each.

There will be another option soon, a Gitup G3 (Git3). With that you get a lens that is around 170 (not specified yet), with gyro on it will be around 130 but you can zoom in until around 65 degrees. The further you zoom in the less fisheye you get and unlike most action cameras it does not go blurry as you zoom in. It is also a lot better in darker lighting, the Git2 likes sunshine.

This shows the amount of fisheye fully zoomed in, obviously my monitor is exactly rectangular 16:9:
y4mNKwvoUmJEWIcrlbXIJZKPgA69rlHVGnff_LIWiHnQOugiuRwmkv80Ifj1bXExITKyQksoqRjT_WpNF5uaAcN3IJ0rflYpP3HDNfPCcnWJxjdTIua_m8e3BT6YnLt3DgyYOYXCWU4Ack5kxwBxXP5oBLZbeGrRw4Lv_iqqnJJF6d3kY-ilNfjKzAUQll-ajCNvSZZ0LuFrLHXe_62Q7akAA

@Nigel how much better will the git 3 be in low light compared the git1?

@Nigel how much better will the git 3 be in low light compared the git1?
The rear view is about the same as the Git1, the front view has a less sensitive sensor but good dynamic range and decent HDR so it gets a bit more motion blur than the Git1 but if there is not too much movement then it still gives a good low light image.

Both sensors are significantly better in low light than the Git2.

Cloudy skies at 7PM number plate test, about 110 km/h:
y4m1Cs2RbnidKgferUmFrQXJDXTUsR87U3z3uxhkxAW_KWJPXxY1gwcy563ZXTw0jQBc_okhAuTsaBlAZzIWa5zl2svvjcmblJ1R-fCA0BL36qrOk8neLMfZkBRHChCBwFhd8VCdZQNEOyq9lH1I_yehLsfCUACGcBq_WLi2G9WmRpQ4n79zLVxmTUslfTprC6bdKma4-d74oxqxesKaTgmVw

unlike most action cameras it does not go blurry as you zoom in.
mmmm sound good.
Can you record and zoom at the same time? If so can you show an example.
2nd question how does it handle GPS, internal, External or no GPS option at all?
I do a lot of bicycle riding and it would be nice to see, where you have been.

mmmm sound good.
Can you record and zoom at the same time? If so can you show an example.
2nd question how does it handle GPS, internal, External or no GPS option at all?
I do a lot of bicycle riding and it would be nice to see, where you have been.
  1. Not that I know of, works the same as the Git2 narrow/wide but with more options and much bigger range. Zoom adjustment while recording would be a nice feature for the bluetooth remote control, not sure it would be very useable on the touchscreen.
  2. GPS is an external module, good because it gives better reception than packing everything together inside the camera, not so good for handheld use but not a problem when mounted on a bicycle.

Full zoom video frame grab with WDR:
y4mM7JP0LWqSaDv8s777wmMUiWrrva3A_DFgbl_Pmot8cJsLrQ9wMMC5jEEQsgKtHChXDdgivJ88H8savyNK3h90PiBtx9q3MtSVDIjShQpcc6fNAMZj-6Mx7qKRkW80RhKkMG9BK980nrlivUhsfhTH25ZdpAyMLL7oGivw4R6J__v4xAbL2zo_moapWTyHhsPp3CeJYV8odSPiEKqxIWTgQ

Last edited:
I am using my Git2 as a dashcam on my MT-07. It's also a chin mount but with GoPro's helmet mount. The video does look a lot wider and things are further away. I actually had an incident where a car changed into my lane and in the video, it looks like the car is very far away but in reality, it's way too close for a biker's comfort. There is a narrow view in the Git2 however; I have not used it and don't know whether it's any good.

Back